Customs, Customs and Factura's

Fataman

Hi guys. I'll be in Cuba the first 2 weeks in November. This is my first trip. If I buy custom rolls from LCDH will they provide a factura? And if they do does no limit apply or am I limited to 20 sticks for customs from LCDH.

And where is the best place to buy rum. I read online that the easiest is to just buy at duty free when leaving Cuba.

Thanks

Ant

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The factura (Factura de Venta) is an official receipt, A5-sized. It's filled out by hand by the cashier. You will need your passport number to get one. It's always handy to have a photocopy of the pic

Here are the exchange rates and accepted currencies in Cuba. I can't promise that every currency office (cadeca) will accept all of these currencies. know Swiss Francs are widely accepted. http:/

Thanks for all the responses. And I somehow forgot my wife is with me which doubles my capacity. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Fataman said:

Hi guys. I'll be in Cuba the first 2 weeks in November. This is my first trip. If I buy custom rolls from LCDH will they provide a factura? And if they do does no limit apply or am I limited to 20 sticks for customs from LCDH.

And where is the best place to buy rum. I read online that the easiest is to just buy at duty free when leaving Cuba.

Thanks

Ant

I was in Havana a month ago and was told by the staff at the Havana Club factory tour that the price for rum is government controlled.

Where in Cuba?

No bill for customs. I usually bring back more than 20 without a problem.

Rum is everywhere. 

Havana. Yeah I was wondering if I could just stash them in my checked luggage. Or is customs before you check your bags?

The price is regulated, but it doesnt mean it is the same everywhere. Airport is usually cheapest and hotel shop usually most expenvie.

Good to know. Would rather grab bottles as I'm leaving.

15 hours ago, Fataman said:

Havana. Yeah I was wondering if I could just stash them in my checked luggage. Or is customs before you check your bags?

Things have a tendency to get stolen in checked bags. Carry-on bags get scrutinized more.

Flip a coin!

Never flew in or out of Havana. Other airports in Cuba, customs is after you check.

16 hours ago, shlomo said:

The price is regulated, but it doesnt mean it is the same everywhere. Airport is usually cheapest and hotel shop usually most expenvie.

I thought rum price was regulated. I mean, never saw different prices. 

More expensive in Varadero or in other cities too?

When taking out customs I take 20 or so in my carry on and the rest in my check in. I don't have more than 50 in my check in generally. Never had a problem. 

Generally we have to exit via Cancun or Mexico city then LAX.  Mexico is a bigger problem for us should you be selected for a search. 

7 hours ago, oliverdst said:

Rum, like cigars, are regulated in terms of price, but workers change the price as they see fit, and resorts are always more expensive. I have seen huge variances in rum and cigar prices.

On 07/10/2016 at 9:08 AM, shlomo said:

2 hours ago, shlomo said:

Rum, like cigars, are regulated in terms of price, but workers change the price as they see fit, and resorts are always more expensive. I have seen huge variances in rum and cigar prices.

RUM/ALCOHOL            

Santiago de C. Carta Blanca       5,30 700ml 03-22- 16
Santiago de Cuba Anejo       3,80 350ml 03-22- 16
Santiago de Cuba Anejo       7,60 700ml 03-22- 16
Santiago de Cuba Anejo       10,90 1L 03-22- 16
Santiago de C. Anejo 11       40,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Santiago de C. Anejo 12       50,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Santiago de C. Anejo 20       160,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Santiago de C. Anejo 25       250,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Santiago Siglo y 1/2 Ex Anejo       950,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Caney Carta Blanca       5,30 700ml 03-22- 16
Cubay Licor Cafe       3,10 700ml 03-22- 16
Cubay Elixir       4,95 700ml 03-22- 16
Cubay Carta Blanca       5,30 700ml 03-22- 16
Cubay Anejo       7,60 700ml 03-22- 16
Cubay Anejo Sup 10 anos       30,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Legendario Anejo       6,50 700ml 03-22- 16
Mulata Anejo 12 anos       53,30 700ml 03-22- 16
Mulata Anejo 15 anos       75,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Vigia Gran Anejo       55,00 750ml 03-22- 16
Havana Club Ritual       7,60 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 3 Caneca       2,80 350ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 3 Anos       5,55 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 3 Anos Carton       6,60 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 3 Anos       7,65 1L 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo Especial       5,90 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo Esp. Carton       6,95 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo Especial       7,90 1L 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo Reserva       8,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo Reserva       10,90 1L 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 7 anos       6,75 350ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 7 anos       16,90 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Anejo 7 anos       19,45 1L 03-22- 16
Havana C Sellecion Maestros       40,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C GR 15 anos       150,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Union       350,00 700ml 03-22- 16
Havana C Maximo       1700,00 500ml 03-22- 16

Not sure what you dont understand Oliver? I have said they are regulated, but not as well or strictly as cigars and there are large variances. For instance, last time I was in Cuba, hotel shop had Legendario for 12 cuc, grocery store had them at 7.50, shop near the Beatles bar in Varadero had them at 9, near the flea market they were listed at 3.50 and in the airport 6.90. I bought them in the airport as I wanted to carry them on with me and drink a bit on the plane.

We flew Havana to London a few months ago. My missus and I each took 50 customs in plastic bags as carry-on onto the flight, as per U.K. duty free allowance. No factura/receipt was needed for custom rolled cigars on exiting Cuba, only regular production.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Not sure what you dont understand Oliver? I have said they are regulated, but not as well or strictly as cigars and there are large variances. For instance, last time I was in Cuba, hotel shop had Legendario for 12 cuc, grocery store had them at 7.50, shop near the Beatles bar in Varadero had them at 9, near the flea market they were listed at 3.50 and in the airport 6.90. I bought them in the airport as I wanted to carry them on with me and drink a bit on the plane.

Not sure what I didnt understand that you understood.

$3.50? Probably old stock.

In my experience no shops will ever issue a factura for custom or shop rolled cigars. Some shops will give you a cash register/till receipt. I have heard that till receipts will satisfy customs agents on leaving Havana. I don't know this first hand as I've never been asked for a receipt for cigars leaving Cuba, although I've been stopped.

For rum buying, if you're in Havana, the Casa de Ron y Tabaco is pretty good. They have probably the best selection of rum in Havana, it's one of the few places I've seen Isla de Tesoro for sale for example as well as the less popular ones, Arecha, Bucanero, Mulata, Santero in various expressions.

It's on Calle Obispo, right beside the Floridita. They have an OK cigar selection not great, there's usually a roller there too.

My one recommendation for rum in Cuba is Caney Anejo Centuria. Not in most of the usual shops or LCDHs, but $7.60 a bottle and in many gas stations, the shop Carlos Robaina works in 5 Y 16 sometimes has it. Hamlet turned me on to it 5 years ago and it's the best rum for the dollar I've ever had.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ayepatz said:

We flew Havana to London a few months ago. My missus and I each took 50 customs in plastic bags as carry-on onto the flight, as per U.K. duty free allowance. No factura/receipt was needed for custom rolled cigars on exiting Cuba, only regular production.

what about removing the bands on "regular production" and transforming them into "custom rolls"?

In my experience no shops will ever issue a factura for custom or shop rolled cigars. Some shops will give you a cash register/till receipt. I have heard that till receipts will satisfy customs agents on leaving Havana. I don't know this first hand as I've never been asked for a receipt for cigars leaving Cuba, although I've been stopped.

For rum buying, if you're in Havana, the Casa de Ron y Tabaco is pretty good. They have probably the best selection of rum in Havana, it's one of the few places I've seen Isla de Tesoro for sale for example as well as the less popular ones, Arecha, Bucanero, Mulata, Santero in various expressions.

It's on Calle Obispo, right beside the Floridita. They have an OK cigar selection not great, there's usually a roller there too.

My one recommendation for rum in Cuba is Caney Anejo Centuria. Not in most of the usual shops or LCDHs, but $7.60 a bottle and in many gas stations, the shop Carlos Robaina works in 5 Y 16 sometimes has it. Hamlet turned me on to it 5 years ago and it's the best rum for the dollar I've ever had.

Thanks. I was about to ask for some rum recommendations. I wanted to get some Santiago.

Also I thought a facturo was simply the till receipt. So I guess it's some sort of official document?

On 7 October 2016 at 9:23 PM, El Presidente said:

When taking out customs I take 20 or so in my carry on and the rest in my check in. I don't have more than 50 in my check in generally. Never had a problem. 

Generally we have to exit via Cancun or Mexico city then LAX.  Mexico is a bigger problem for us should you be selected for a search. 

Remind me to discuss MEX with you once we're down in Havana, Rob.  Keith and I are flying back to Canada through Mexico City....would be great to have a few tips!

For customs, there is a limit that can be exported - 50.  And yes, no receipts or factura's.  Keep half in your carry on and half in suitcase to be safe.  As for Rum, it depends where you're flying into.  I usually buy in the Havana airport  but have bought at an LCH if I see something I like that's hard to find.

Factura's are only needed if you're taking more than two boxes out of the country.  You will need to insist at times to get one because they always assume we only take 50 production cigars out :)

Have a great trip!!  If you're in Havana, there are some great restaurants you have to try!!