Customs, Customs and Factura's

Fataman

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The factura (Factura de Venta) is an official receipt, A5-sized. It's filled out by hand by the cashier. You will need your passport number to get one. It's always handy to have a photocopy of the pic

Here are the exchange rates and accepted currencies in Cuba. I can't promise that every currency office (cadeca) will accept all of these currencies. know Swiss Francs are widely accepted. http:/

Thanks for all the responses. And I somehow forgot my wife is with me which doubles my capacity. Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ChanceSchmerr said:

Remind me to discuss MEX with you once we're down in Havana, Rob.  Keith and I are flying back to Canada through Mexico City....would be great to have a few tips!

Any information anyone can provide as to traveling out of Cuba to Mexico and then the US as far as getting cigars out would be appreciated. I'll be bringing 20 customs back only. Thanks 

The factura (Factura de Venta) is an official receipt, A5-sized. It's filled out by hand by the cashier. You will need your passport number to get one. It's always handy to have a photocopy of the picture page of your passport with you. You sign it, then the shop keeps the top copy, you get a carbon copy. They will staple the till receipt to it. Shops won't always offer it without asking for it, so you often need to ask for it. I think they are obliged to fill one out once asked, at least I've never been turned down for one.

Sorry but one last question. Do LCDH take credit cards (non-US) for either box or custom roll purchases?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Not for customs, but yes for box. Cash is king though. It'll end up being cheaper and safer to use it as opposed to a card that may not work, lines down, charge you an extra conversion fee, etc...

+1 here....I was at many if not all of the LDCH's last week.  In two of the shops, I observed to NON-US folks having issues with their cards.  Cash is definitely king out there. I also converted dollars to Euro's before I left to avoid the Cuba US tax on dollars converted to CUC.  Bring extra cash as well, you never know when you may have to stay a few more days or other emergencies. I had to contend with Hurricane Mathew and could not get back to Miami the day I was scheduled to depart due to the Miami airport closing. Had to actually stay one more additional day since the next day Cuba had 7-8 hour delays for the charter flights....I was not complaining though, the 2 extra days were awesome! :D

I knew cash was king but figured my CC would be fine at the LCDH . Anyone try drawing cash from an ATM in Havana? I'm hoping to avoid taking mountains of cash with me and it would be great to use an ATM for restocking cash.

15 hours ago, Fataman said:

Sorry but one last question. Do LCDH take credit cards (non-US) for either box or custom roll purchases?

Sorry for the late reply, it's been answered already but it is always safer to have cash.

I've only once had a problem using a credit card at a cigar shop in Cuba and that was when there was a power cut in 5 y 16 about 5 years ago, power cuts generally don't last long in Havana, maybe half a day. I've used it without problems in Partagas, Club Havana, Melia Habana, Conde de Villanueva etc. I don't remember ever having a problem using a credit card to buy custom rolls. Like many countries, you will need a recognised ID to use your passport, another good reason to have a photocopy of the picture page of your passport.

So have cash but try your credit card. 

I've never been brave enough to use an ATM in Havana. I'm sure they're fine most of the time but I only bring 2 cards anywhere with me and I'd be stuck without one. If a machine swallows a card in Cuba, from what I know of Cuban bureaucracy, there's a good chance you wouldn't see it again.

• Like 2

Good info,

So how about exchanging other currencys than EUR or USD to CUC. Do the cadecas or banks accept for example SEK (swedish money)

Someone wrote that credit cards will give you a bad exchange rate, is that really so? Most banks will add ~1,5% as standard fee for currency conversions in any country. Are cuba worse there?

Thanks.

2 hours ago, Drapatrissor said:

Good info,

So how about exchanging other currencys than EUR or USD to CUC. Do the cadecas or banks accept for example SEK (swedish money)

Someone wrote that credit cards will give you a bad exchange rate, is that really so? Most banks will add ~1,5% as standard fee for currency conversions in any country. Are cuba worse there?

Thanks.

Here are the exchange rates and accepted currencies in Cuba. I can't promise that every currency office (cadeca) will accept all of these currencies. know Swiss Francs are widely accepted.

http://www.bc.gob.cu/Espanol/tipo_cambio_METROPOLITANO.asp

As far as I remember, there is a 3% charge for a credit card in Cuba.

Edit. Unlike most countries, there is no extra commission charge for exchanging money. If, for example, you see a rate of 1.07160 cucs / 1 euro, you will get 107.16 (rounded) for €100 euro.

Also, be careful counting out money to the cashier, i.e. count it out in front of them. Twice, at the exchange at the airport I've handed over €1,000 and have been told by the cashier that I actually gave her €950. By then, it's too late, what do you do? ask to see the manager? :lol::lol::lol:

Ask to see a manager at a Cuban office to complain you had €50 stolen and you'll gladly pay another €50 just to get away from there..

• Like 4

• 1 month later...

Here's a quick update after my trip.
ATMs work fine in Havana. I had one day when they didn't but the next day they were working again.
Money exchange queue at Jose Marti airport was insane. Better option is to run upstairs. Money exchange queue upstairs was shorter. Best option is to use the ATM upstairs next to the money exchange to get some CUCS and then exchange money at a bank in Havana. FYI the ATM at the airport will let you enter your own amount to withdraw but won't give you any money and will simply return your card. Seems it is limited CUC100 at a time so just do multiple withdrawals. Took a while to figure this one out .

LCDH take credit cards but as previously stated only take cash for custom rolls.

The hotel Nacional has ashtrays for sale again. As you enter the lobby turn left and they are for sale at the counter on your left hand side. I didn't see any large ones but plenty of small sizes. This one was CUC25.

20161119_135347_zpscoea8ohy.jpg

I hope this helps.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Fataman said:

Here's a quick update after my trip.
ATMs work fine in Havana. I had one day when they didn't but the next day they were working again.
Money exchange queue at Jose Marti airport was insane. Better option is to run upstairs. Money exchange queue upstairs was shorter. Best option is to use the ATM upstairs next to the money exchange to get some CUCS and then exchange money at a bank in Havana. FYI the ATM at the airport will let you enter your own amount to withdraw but won't give you any money and will simply return your card. Seems it is limited CUC100 at a time so just do multiple withdrawals. Took a while to figure this one out emoji41.png.

LCDH take credit cards but as previously stated only take cash for custom rolls.

The hotel Nacional has ashtrays for sale again. As you enter the lobby turn left and they are for sale at the counter on your left hand side. I didn't see any large ones but plenty of small sizes. This one was CUC25.

20161119_135347_zpscoea8ohy.jpg

I hope this helps.

If you bring an extra back, I would happily pay you.

5 hours ago, Fataman said:

Sorry back home already........and I live in South Africa .

Oh that is not too far from Chicago. It's not like you live at the other end of the world or anything. Oh wait, actually you almost do. 

• Like 1

Do not exchange at bank in Havana. Use a cadeca or hotel or anything else than a bank in Havana. Story to long to tell here......better options to exchange cash....use something that is more touristy or well travelled......not that the exchange is worse. Just stick to the basics.

I used a bank in Cuba too, just a couple blocks away from the National. I actually enjoyed my 45 minute wait in line, I met a couple of very nice local women. The banks give you a better rate then any of the hotels, I got the true 1.03.... rate at the bank, but only 1 euro to 1 CUC at the Habana Libre hotel. Also a great tip to go to the counters upstairs at Marti, there was no line at either on my way in. On my way out, the lines at every counter were ridiculous. 

They were out of the larger, pink ashtrays when I was there, apparetly too many people swiping the hotel stock. I did pick up a sweet smaller one similar to @Fatamans. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Fataman said:

I used a bank. Walked in. Exchanged money. Walked out.

Now you have to tell us your story. You have me me curious as to what happened.

I have exchanged cash at banks in Varadero and various other locations in Havana several times with no problems or issues whatsoever. Me and my wife were in Centro Havana at a large bank to exchange about 1000 cnd and it was an absolute fail. No English ( which is understandable), about an hour wait with the locals in a next man up fashion...was hilarious and exhausting in a Cuban time......and the circus of exchanging that amount of cash was particularly concerning to them as we had to go through about 3 or 4 bank officials.......and on and on. Again....no English with any and even my wife's poquito Español was no help. Seriously would have been so easy to stroll to the Cambio at the National Hotel or elsewhere than kill that much time. Never again.

26 minutes ago, cybermadhatter said:

I used the concierge in my Casa to exchange usd.  She left for an hour and came back.

I got $95 cuc for every $100 us.  I am sure she still made money off of that, but so what, plus, I was happy. 

'Casa' you mean a casa particular?

45 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

'Casa' you mean a casa particular?

Most likely. I did currency exchange at my Casa Particularl as well, I didn't get as good a rate at 90CUC/100US but was still way better than Cadeca at 86.75(as I recall last week)/100US. There's a huge black market for USD there. I've heard of guys getting 98CUC/100USD recently.

1 hour ago, Ethernut said:

Most likely. I did currency exchange at my Casa Particularl as well, I didn't get as good a rate at 90CUC/100US but was still way better than Cadeca at 86.75(as I recall last week)/100US. There's a huge black market for USD there. I've heard of guys getting 98CUC/100USD recently.

I asked because a concierge in a casa particular... Anyway, the woman should know she is a concierge. She would be flattered.:)

• Like 2