Is the taking of gifts to Cuba still relevant?

El Presidente

1 hour ago, nino said:

They will take away ( or heavily tax ) stuff from Cuban passport holders.
Foreigners/Tourists can basically bring in anything with no problems.

If asked, declare it as "obsequios" - presents.
If you are not travelling on a Cuban passport you should have no problem.

I am an American citizen but was born in Cuba, so they may not recognize my citizenship. Either way I'll declare as present and hope for the best but expect the worst. Thanks for the reply 

On 10/12/2016 at 8:48 AM, Ryan said:

Hector Luis sponsors the local school where he lives. There will be a big contingent visiting him. A little organising (so not everybody buys pencils) could make a big difference to that school for a small enough amount of money.

On 10/12/2016 at 2:47 PM, nino said:

For additional contributions please contact Keith "CanuckSARTech" or John Reiner - they will be happy to let you know what the Lung Kong Cuba-China society of the elderly in HAV just behind the old Partagas factory might need.

I am not planning on a trip anytime soon (though I wish I was) but if anyone is planning on doing anything to help the above or anything similar please let me know. I'd love to be able to contribute in some way and would happily make a donation to help with supplies, baggage fee's, etc.

• Like 1

Saxman....If you entered the US before 1970 you are required to enter Cuba with the US passport. Otherwise you would enter with your Cuban passport. Declaring items as "gifts" (regalos) might result in a fine or spending a couple of hours at an inspection table. The preferred term is "todo es consumo personal". There are limits as to what you can bring in, Aduana de Cuba has the lists and quantities. There are many things you can bring from home without having to buy anything. Items from the kitchen are in high need, here is my list:

Knives, Forks, Spoons

Kitchen towels

Can/Bottle opener

Blender

Non Electronic Expresso coffee maker

Complete Seazoning (Sazon Completa)

Cumin (Comino)

Buillon Cubes

Bricks, Bricks and Bricks of Coffee (Bustelo, Llave, Pilon), c'mon Rob nobody drinks tea in Cuba

Pens, Scissors, Pencils, Erasers, notebooks/notepads

Sheets, towels or any used clothing

Iron

Curling Iron

Hair Dryer

Toiletries; Shampoo, Conditioner, Soap, Toothpaste, Aftershave, Razors

Gum, candy, chocolates. For those in the US wait til after Halloween and buy all the clearance candy/chocolates

Backpacks

A small Christmas tree

A bible in Spanish 

Powdered drinks; Gatorade, Koolaid, Chocolate mix

Ibuprofen (Motrin), Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Band-aids, Alka-Seltzer, Vitamins (Adult & Child), Cold Medicine

Flashlights/Batteries

Disposable lighters

• Like 1

I've just come back and we took some fishing tackle, (lures, hooks and leaders in small tackle boxes. For the kids we took haribo sweets, toy cars and assorted outdoors toys.

I would definitely not just hand stuff out on the street as you will convince the locals that begging from the tourist is a good way of earning an living.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saxman....If you entered the US before 1970 you are required to enter Cuba with the US passport. Otherwise you would enter with your Cuban passport. Declaring items as "gifts" (regalos) might result in a fine or spending a couple of hours at an inspection table. The preferred term is "todo es consumo personal". There are limits as to what you can bring in, Aduana de Cuba has the lists and quantities. There are many things you can bring from home without having to buy anything. Items from the kitchen are in high need, here is my list:

Knives, Forks, Spoons

Kitchen towels

Can/Bottle opener

Blender

Non Electronic Expresso coffee maker

Complete Seazoning (Sazon Completa)

Cumin (Comino)

Buillon Cubes

Bricks, Bricks and Bricks of Coffee (Bustelo, Llave, Pilon), c'mon Rob nobody drinks tea in Cuba

Pens, Scissors, Pencils, Erasers, notebooks/notepads

Sheets, towels or any used clothing

Iron

Curling Iron

Hair Dryer

Toiletries; Shampoo, Conditioner, Soap, Toothpaste, Aftershave, Razors

Gum, candy, chocolates. For those in the US wait til after Halloween and buy all the clearance candy/chocolates

Backpacks

A small Christmas tree

A bible in Spanish 

Powdered drinks; Gatorade, Koolaid, Chocolate mix

Ibuprofen (Motrin), Acetaminophen (Tylenol), Band-aids, Alka-Seltzer, Vitamins (Adult & Child), Cold Medicine

Flashlights/Batteries

Disposable lighters

Thanks for the reply. I left in 1968 so I'll be entering with a US passport plus a special Visa from the Cuba gov for those like me who left prior to 1970. I'll stick to personal items but they will question my use of the Barbie doll and Dr Seuss books for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Saxman