Think I ought to build a spreadsheet to keep track

...of all my inventory....   There's so much information and I'm really trying to learn and keep track of knowledge.  Fields I'm wanting to add are:

Marca

Vitola

factory code

grade (all are from FOH so far and I have ElPrez's interpretations on that)

month/year of manufacture

when I ordered/received them

box size

recommended aging time (if included in the description as ElPrez often does) 

Price paid

Which cabinet humidor they are in

I know others here keep a spreadsheet going.    What other information do you all include?  I know I've thought of other fields I want to add but they escape mw at the moment.  Not fully awake right now.... 

Thoughts?

Edit: a current list will also help me keep an eye out for those I'd like to add in the future   

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like keeping track via spreadsheet. I use Numbers on an iPad primarily. Each Humidor I have has its own sheet plus my smoking log (with notes) and 'on order.' I've now added my online humidor. I'm a

Lost track long ago 

I used to keep tabs...now I don't.  It was fun for a while but I have a lot of cigars and I smoke every day, so I called it quits. When I did keep track, excel spreadsheet worked great.  I found

I used to keep tabs...now I don't.  It was fun for a while but I have a lot of cigars and I smoke every day, so I called it quits.

When I did keep track, excel spreadsheet worked great.  I found I kept adding fields to track and it just lost its appeal.

I must say, now I just poke through the stock to see what I want to smoke.  If a box looks low, order another (or pull it out of OLH).

Enjoy your endeavors!!!

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

I used to keep tabs...now I don't.  It was fun for a while but I have a lot of cigars and I smoke every day, so I called it quits.

When I did keep track, excel spreadsheet worked great.  I found I kept adding fields to track and it just lost its appeal.

Might be what happens to me as well, but for now it will definitely help me keep track/make sense of all the stuff I have on hand.  Excel was what I planned to use for sure.  Barely versed in it, but I can get by....

• Like 1

I was pretty vigilant at first with keeping things up to date on the collections part of http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/ which has enough info for my needs however I got lazy and it's now out of sync! You can download to .csv and add other fields as needed.

Would be cool to have some kind of download to excel for those in OLH though..

• Like 1

I keep a spreadsheet with all the columns I could think of.

What you listed is pretty good. 

I suppose it doesn't really serve much of a purpose though.

13 minutes ago, torsion said:

I was pretty vigilant at first with keeping things up to date on the collections part of http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/ which has enough info for my needs however I got lazy and it's now out of sync! You can download to .csv and add other fields as needed.

I agree with the  http://www.cubancigarwebsite.com/  

My boxes are all listed I think, but I have also gotten lazy with my singles.  Love the format and that you can add pictures now.

I have just started and having used spreadsheets for various other hobbies my best recommendation is keep it simple.  Once it becomes a chore, you stop doing it.  Mine I have created is very simple.  I also have a column for my cigar hit list so I have something to follow on the 24:24's.  It will become more and more useful as you have more boxes and its easier to know what you have stored away, out of line of sight.

Columns:  Marca-Vitola-Price-Box Code-Box Date-Age

Age is actually the most useful for me and the most fun to look at as it calculates how old boxes are which at a glance I can see which are ready to open.

In case you're interested, the function I use is:

=DAYS360(G5,$C$2,))/365)

G5 = Date of Box

$C$2 = A separate field which is todays date, formula is =Today()

Good luck!

You haven't started tracking with excel yet? Your list is much more comprehensive than mine. My biggest problem that I solved when I did the spreadsheet was which boxes were ordered and when they were shipped and expected received date. Yes, I also include grade and box codes too .i was forgetting what was coming in frequently and while the surprise when the mail arrived was fun, I didn't want to miss anything. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Bohn007 said:

You haven't started tracking with excel yet? Your list is much more comprehensive than mine. My biggest problem that I solved when I did the spreadsheet was which boxes were ordered and when they were shipped and expected received date. Yes, I also include grade and box codes too .i was forgetting what was coming in frequently and while the surprise when the mail arrived was fun, I didn't want to miss anything. 

No, I haven't and I'd be surprised if I had a more extensive collection than you, Bohn! 

Since I started ordering in earnest I HAVE kept a running written list of marca/Vitola with order date, shipping date and date of receipt, but it took about 10 boxes for me to get that started. Still, order dates are all lreserved at least. 

Think the list would be beneficial especially for placing additional orders for things I can't see tucked in the back of a shelf in one cabinet or another...  

Seems I should get this going as a weekend project. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Bohn007 said:

I do this as well.

If I didn't, I would forget what I have coming in and wouldn't be able to intercept them before my wife does.

I will note that if you track how much you spend it can be frightening.

• Like 1

I'm kinda with Harvey on this.  When I started, the spreadsheet quickly expanded to a few too many fields.  I'm still tracking everything but I think I'm heading in the direction of:

1.  Just tracking current orders/stock in transit.  Particularly since the charged amounts on the CC and the 24:24 amounts never match up (because of the currency conversion, FOH is listing a proper exchange rate but it's never exactly the same as the one my CC company uses).  And sometimes when I have several boxes in the air it can be easy to lose track of one.  Thankfully Greg and Di are wonderful backups but I truly hate to impose on them for something I've mis-filed and I've only asked for a reconcile once.

2.  Instead of tracking everything, I think I might move to just a hand written list of what's in the LT Aging lockers in my cellar.  The current use humidors I can't bother with and stuff goes in and out of those so damn quick anyway.  It's nice to keep straight what the age/quality is of a stick you're picking out, but I can usually remember that when I move a box from LT to 'current use'.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SinfullyPatient said:

Question, why is date of order of any importance?  I kind of get date of arrival to make sure they're acclimatized to the humidor.  

My only record is date of order, date item shipped and date received.  It really isn't extremely important but I mark down everything I've asked for and the date I asked.  More relevent is date shipped/date received for sure. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BEVOSREVENGE said:

I do this as well.

If I didn't, I would forget what I have coming in and wouldn't be able to intercept them before my wife does.

I will note that if you track how much you spend it can be frightening.

I don't put prices on the list. It would probably cause me emotional issues and bigger problems if the list was ever noticed on my laptop

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SinfullyPatient said:

Question, why is date of order of any importance?  I kind of get date of arrival to make sure they're acclimatized to the humidor.  

I put date ordered to track the turn times from ordered to shipped and then received. 

• Like 1

Having a small stock, compared to some, i use CCW. More or less to keep track of my total. I have a number i don't want to go under. Procrastination and laziness cause me to not keep track. When i was putting away stock i received yesterday i noticed a couple of singles i forgot to add to the list. I think when i start my second coolerador, i'll stop keeping track. 

10 hours ago, torsion said:

Cubancigarwebsite.com is awesome. Recommend using it and using the csv export if you want to have a spreadsheet to add more columns/info

• Like 1

KISS with Excel spreadsheet.
Cigar make & name, how many (untouched boxes marked), box code.
That's all I need. Updated as they arrive or burn.
Tried the full-on approach but couldn't be arsed - decided not to worry about it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mnmlst said:

I like keeping track via spreadsheet. I use Numbers on an iPad primarily. Each Humidor I have has its own sheet plus my smoking log (with notes) and 'on order.' I've now added my online humidor. I'm a visual person and like to be able to peruse my collection. Since I've started purchasing from our host, I'm making some changes (like adding box codes and dropping the CA ratings). Of course, my collection is small compared to many of you but here's how my system looks at the moment:

01.png02.png03.png

I didn't realise they still made Robusto T's in 2015!? ?

• Like 2

9 hours ago, GavLew79 said:

I didn't realise they still made Robusto T's in 2015!? ?

Ha! That was before I knew about box codes and was simply how long I had the cigar in my humi.