Think I ought to build a spreadsheet to keep track

I keep a spreadsheet for what I've ordered, pretty much the same info you've outlined. Primary purpose it serves me is to keep track and mark off when received. That's fine though unfortunately also shows what I've spent.

Don't track what I've smoked....too much trouble for that ;) 

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I like keeping track via spreadsheet. I use Numbers on an iPad primarily. Each Humidor I have has its own sheet plus my smoking log (with notes) and 'on order.' I've now added my online humidor. I'm a

Lost track long ago 

I used to keep tabs...now I don't.  It was fun for a while but I have a lot of cigars and I smoke every day, so I called it quits. When I did keep track, excel spreadsheet worked great.  I found

I started to put together a simple spreadsheet of what I've picked up through the 24:24, but I started a little after the fact, and have a few blanks I'd like to try and fill in.  I've read somewhere on the forum that there are some folks that keep track of the 24:24 offerings, and I'd like to ask a favor of you..  If you keep such a spreadsheet, and if it's not too much trouble, can you shoot me a PM.  I have a question on the 2/23 (Sancho Panza beli & Siglo 3) and 2/27 (VR Unicos) offerings.  :2thumbs:

Still going.   Need to add the last three ordered boxes, and I haven't added partial boxes I've ordered.   Might, since I did add samplers ordered.   Know when I ordered.   When the shipped.  When they arrived.  What humidor cabinet and what shelf they're on.  Know date codes and what I paid for them.  Know if I've pulled a stick from a box (those are highlighted in orange) and OLH boxes are highlighted in yellow.  It's been fun to keep track.  When the icebox humidor is done (one day...) I'll have a major update, but it will still get completed.  

On 10/20/2016 at 7:01 PM, BuzzArd said:

What other information do you all include?  I know I've thought of other fields I want to add but they escape mw at the moment.  Not fully awake right now.... 

The astral configuration at the date of purchase. I favor purchases when Jupiter is in the 1st House…

:ph34r::P

• Like 2

I use Google Spreadsheets and keep everything online.

My fields are grouped:

Cigar

• Country
  • Marca
  • Name
  • Vitola
  • Ring
  • Length
  • Size (computed field "Ring x Length")

Box

• Box Type
  • Cigar Quantity
  • Box Factory Code
  • Box Date
  • Age in years (computed field) -- conditional formatted so I can see which cigars are getting on in years, and which are too young
  • Price paid
  • $/stick (computed field)
  • Bought from

Transit

• Tracking #
  • Bought date
  • Ship notice received
  • Received -- conditional formatted based on Days in transit field (below) to roughly indicate acclimation status; I like to avoid smoking too soon
  • Days in transit (computed field)

Notes

• Purchase Notes -- If bought from 24:24, cigar grade + complete notes from Rob for that sale.

I'm not quite to the point where I need a field for "humidor stored in".  That's probably a hoarding indicator.

But overall, is this overkill?  Yeah.  But I get charts and graphs, which I like.  Quick example:

image.thumb.png.22b80ae1e88164b1cc945bcd7a306871.png

(Most of those 52s are Pyramids, so they're more like effective 40-somethings.  Don't judge me!)

• Like 2

I've been tracking on Excel for the past 15 years.  I include box count, number smoked and number remaining.  Once you've set up a spreadsheet, it only takes about 10 seconds a night to enter your changes.  I only track Cuban cigars and I don't track singles or gifted cigars.  According to my spreadsheet, I've smoked 3896 Cuban cigars...

• Like 1

After tracking my inventory and smoking history on CCW for a few years, the infamous meltdown occurred, and I lost all of that.  Thanks to El Prez, many of us members here made donations to Alex to help him rebuild, but so far the inventory tracking system hasn't been remade (no slight to Alex; he has a massive undertaking to rebuild that site).   

So, I've built an Excel spreadsheet to keep track, and I'm so glad I did.  I track marca, vitola, box code/date, number remaining, last smoked, source, date ordered, date shipped, date received, price, and notes.

I save the tasting notes in the Notes app in my iPhone so I can read while smoking.  Have found it very helpful.  I only save the ones I've purchased so far but I can send if you want.  Siglo I for example: "Medium bodied, rich, brioche, toasted tobacco flavors"

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Nekhyludov

This thread inspired me to finally get my sh*t together and put my box info into a spreadsheet. Then I did a Pareto chart and a simple pivot table, because ... um, I'm a weirdo.

I definitely need to pad my petit corona stock.

Slide1.jpg.8633af0d7e2f558823dd3d9c9ea4b8ab.jpg

Presentation1.thumb.jpg.278f3c462112f3a20b712b304feb803e.jpg

no spreadsheet...no nutin for me.  I'm afraid if I saw how much I'm spending on cigars, it would put me in the grave.   And besides, no spreadsheet means I get to open my tuppidor now and then and go through all the boxes again...and again...and again, LOL.    

Guest Nekhyludov

I completely understand that most people would rather eat their own eyeballs than voluntarily look at spreadsheets :D

My collection isn't nearly big enough to require this kind of tracking, but I'm an operations guy - I do this stuff reflexively. It's fun to be able to look at content I actually enjoy, instead of just analyzing huge data sets. 

2 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

I completely understand that most people would rather eat their own eyeballs than voluntarily look at spreadsheets :D

My collection isn't nearly big enough to require this kind of tracking, but I'm an operations guy - I do this stuff reflexively. It's fun to be able to look at content I actually enjoy, instead of just analyzing huge data sets. 

Exactly.  :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I just got Numbers free from Apple. Thats right, my Mac is too old to have had it come standard with the computer and I wasn't going to pay them for it. It probably came with the software included with all Apple products starting a half hour after I got my machine. Does any one know how to move my inventory easily from Google Sheets to Numbers?

On 4/19/2017 at 11:51 AM, joeypots said:

I just got Numbers free from Apple. Thats right, my Mac is too old to have had it come standard with the computer and I wasn't going to pay them for it. It probably came with the software included with all Apple products starting a half hour after I got my machine. Does any one know how to move my inventory easily from Google Sheets to Numbers?

Download as a CSV if just text, XLSX if color/format/formula based. Numbers.app will convert both types of files.