First time out with the Cohiba 50th Anniversary Maduro 5

clutch5150

Thought I'd end the day on a high note. Cohiba 50th Anniversary Maduro 5. I smoked one other Maduro before this while I was in Cuba last Month and I was hooked with the flavors!  I had smoked a Macanudo Muduro many years ago and I was not a big fan, and have always reared the side of caution since then..

This special Maduro Anniversary changed all that...Toast flavors at light with a sweet touch taste with some mint and milder than what I thought a "Maduro" would bring out. Flavors linger after draw and I find it especially best to slowly push out the smoke on this one.  Last 3rd brought out some strong coffee bean flavor that poured on.

Just a great smooth smoke I am very happy with. The lighter wrapper is what also suprised me as I've seen some pretty DARK wrappers on the other Maduro I smoked in Cuba. Pic of that as well. Camera shows that wrapper much lighter than it was.

I think next time I light this particular smoke up, it will be at night after dinner with a hot cup of coco and whip cream!  Something tells me this would be a spectacular combination.

20161128_154448_resized.jpg

20161128_154548_resized.jpg

20161128_155215_resized.jpg

20161128_155053_resized.jpg

20161128_155045_resized.jpg

20161130_135309_1480543383837_resized.jpg

20161130_141810_resized.jpg

20161003_183628_resized_1.jpg

• Like 3

Great Review! Sounds like the lighter maduro wrapper really brought out the sweeter flavors and mixed with the blend made it complex. Definitely sounds desert like! Man I might have to get my hands on these. Just saw some available today, this review might have pushed me towards buying a box. Unfortunately typical cohiba pricing but sounds like it is worth it. Thanks! 

• Like 1

@clutch5150 I would be curious to know if there's a box code on those and what it is.  Nice review!  It's interesting to me the cigars don't have the new style band.  

12 hours ago, zeedubbya said:

@clutch5150 I would be curious to know if there's a box code on those and what it is.  Nice review!  It's interesting to me the cigars don't have the new style band.  

Ya know I never looked as I do not think my other special type boxes of Reserva's did not, but I'll take a peek.  As for the band since this was the 50th anniversary, I was told the original Cohiba band design was used for this release.

No date or roll facility codes on the cardboard box.

Edited by clutch5150
Checked box

12 hours ago, zeedubbya said:

I'm almost sure there's not. As with the other "vintage" jars that have been released by Altadis as of late, they don't nor could they have a boxcode or date, as they are cigars from different boxes and ages, most likely sorted from the importer's own stock. That's one of the reasons why I personally tend to stay away from these releases.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TheMonk said:

I'm almost sure there's not. As with the other "vintage" jars that have been released by Altadis as of late, they don't nor could they have a boxcode or date, as they are cigars from different boxes and ages, most likely sorted from the importer's own stock. That's one of the reasons why I personally tend to stay away from these releases.

Makes sense.  Just was curious.  I still think the 50th anniversary releases were partially to blame for the Cohiba Shortage--even though no one really mentioned it.  About 40,000 in Special Humidors and the 50th anniversary travel series they're supposed to be releasing 10,000 of.  20,000 Behike 56, 20,000 Siglo 6, 20,000 Genios, and 20,000 Piramides Extra.  120,000 cigars has to put a bit of a dent in an already low leaf supply.  

On 12/3/2016 at 11:25 AM, TheMonk said:

Hmmm, are you saying the same for all the Grand Reserva's as well?  I am not one to argue but if the Partagas GR's are some random selection, then it has to go down as one of the best random selections to date as the Parta GR's are the best I've ever smoked and I think our host gave it a 98 or 99 as well along with many others.  Add to the the Siglo VI GR, also a solid 98 cigar, they also don't have "box codes".

Hmmm, are you saying the same for all the Grand Reserva's as well?  I am not one to argue but if the Partagas GR's are some random selection, then it has to go down as one of the best random selections to date as the Parta GR's are the best I've ever smoked and I think our host gave it a 98 or 99 as well along with many others.  Add to the the Siglo VI GR, also a solid 98 cigar, they also don't have "box codes".

He was talking about the "vintage" jars being released in Spain mostly. I know for a fact those don't have BD and I also know for a fact that Reserva and Gran Reserva boxes do have box dates on the bottom of the cardboard outer.
  • Like 2

Correct on the GR, I dug up my cardboard box...I had the Parta GR for a few years now and never noticed the box code on these. Thanks for the correction Lotus!

20161204_151545_resized.jpg

Partagas GR.jpg

• Like 1

I think it was meant as atladis the Spanish distributer. This release along with a lot of others are just distributer rebranding. Have nothing to do with GR or other official releases coming out of Cuba. That's why they have the old bands they repackage existing stock to stimulate more sales or just shift stock they have had lying about too long.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

He was talking about the "vintage" jars being released in Spain mostly. I know for a fact those don't have BD and I also know for a fact that Reserva and Gran Reserva boxes do have box dates on the bottom of the cardboard outer.

That is exactly what I meant, thanks mate. I had thought my reply was pretty clear, but perhaps not.

@clutch5150, judging by your reply it seems you took my comment a bit personally. I was in no way criticising your purchase (why would I?), I was merely stating a fact and sharing my own opinion, which isn't to say they're not potentially great smokes, I just personally tend to stay away from those types of releases, the same way I stay away from most REs and the current jawbreaker LEs (with the exception of the Mag56, of course), even though for different reasons altogether.

• Like 1

On 12/5/2016 at 4:58 AM, TheMonk said:

That is exactly what I meant, thanks mate. I had thought my reply was pretty clear, but perhaps not.

@clutch5150, judging by your reply it seems you took my comment a bit personally. I was in no way criticising your purchase (why would I?), I was merely stating a fact and sharing my own opinion, which isn't to say they're not potentially great smokes, I just personally tend to stay away from those types of releases, the same way I stay away from most REs and the current jawbreaker LEs (with the exception of the Mag56, of course), even though for different reasons altogether.

Naw Mate, all good! I learned something new on my GR's on this thread as well which is a good thing as well.

• Like 1