stranahan's snowflake

Ken Gargett

• 4 weeks later...

@Ken Gargett I just saw this post. Yes, I have tried the regular stranahans, and their snowflake version for the last 5 or 6 years. I am not a huge Whiskey fan, but I am friends with 3 brothers who camp out with their brother in law every year. They also volunteer during the bottling and labeling (there is quite a wait list for this as well) but you are paid with a very low number bottle for that year. So in total each of the 4 are able to procure 3 bottles a year. Of the 12 atleast 6 to 8 are sold before they even get there hands on them depending on the year for 2 or 3 times the sticker price, locally. If they were willing to ship the prices paid can get crazy. 

Im not sure which years they have open right now, but I'm sure I could grab a sample or two for you. PM me if you're interested. 

2 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

@Ken Gargett I just saw this post. Yes, I have tried the regular stranahans, and their snowflake version for the last 5 or 6 years. I am not a huge Whiskey fan, but I am friends with 3 brothers who camp out with their brother in law every year. They also volunteer during the bottling and labeling (there is quite a wait list for this as well) but you are paid with a very low number bottle for that year. So in total each of the 4 are able to procure 3 bottles a year. Of the 12 atleast 6 to 8 are sold before they even get there hands on them depending on the year for 2 or 3 times the sticker price, locally. If they were willing to ship the prices paid can get crazy. 

Im not sure which years they have open right now, but I'm sure I could grab a sample or two for you. PM me if you're interested. 

amny thanks, and thanks for the offer. i was more interested in finding out about them, rather than chasing a bottle.

They do a special one off blend each year, Its kept secret until release, so each is a different beast. The one I sampled was very heavy on Rye compared to their normal blend, but was aged in Sherry casks to help cut the bite. I did not enjoy it at all, but, I am not a whiskey guy, rye in particular.

I can probably dig up their bottles this weekend and send some photos of the labels describing the blends and ageing process. Won't help you taste them, atleast you can get a better idea of the differences.  

5 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

They do a special one off blend each year, Its kept secret until release, so each is a different beast. The one I sampled was very heavy on Rye compared to their normal blend, but was aged in Sherry casks to help cut the bite. I did not enjoy it at all, but, I am not a whiskey guy, rye in particular.

I can probably dig up their bottles this weekend and send some photos of the labels describing the blends and ageing process. Won't help you taste them, atleast you can get a better idea of the differences.  

many thanks but please don't go to any trouble. i was simply curious as had never heard of it.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/8/2017 at 6:00 PM, jrusso14 said:

Pretty sure @Avrus discussed this on one of his shows. Not sure if it was he or his co-host at the time. 

I don't know much about it, any reviews seem to be positive tho.

Yup, that was my co-host Robby and he paired the Snowflake on two different episodes. One was the most recent which was the farewell episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMR_AtknkbQ

The other was the Padron episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSBOILP2AFc

I also had the opportunity to try it on last year's Cigar Safari as one of the guys in the attendee group was from Colorado. It did not last long.

• Like 1