How do these rums compare on the sweetness scale?

BellevilleMXZ

Have done a TON of reading on here, and would like to try a few new one to sip with a cigar.....So far I enjoy the Havana club 7yr.....so how do these compare if any of you have tried some, on the sweetness scale? I don't want to drink alcoholic syrup. Some say they are not too sweet, some say they are very sweet, so don't know what to buy.These below are easy to get close by. Thanks guys

Zacapa 23

El  Dorado 12 or 15

Diplomatico Reserva exclusiva

Mount Gay XO

I picked up a bottle of Flor de Caña 18 yr, the other day.

After drinking Diplomatico, I found it to be quite dry in comparison.

I'm no expert on any booze but for the money I have been very lucky on choosing my first bottle

of rum and sticking with it.  This is called "Plantation Grand Cru"  Product of Barbados 40% alc. by Vol.  "This rum is not very sweet

and I don't think it mixes well for say a rum and coke.  It is aged first in Bourbon casks then shipped to

France, Chateau de Bonbonnet and placed in small batched Perre Ferrand barrels, hence

double aged.  It is great over ice has a nose of brown suger, honey, dark caramel, candied almonds,

but also pipe tobacco, toasted marshmallow; secondary after further aeration bacon fat, lard,

black raisin, prune;  lots of aromatic acivity here."  Paul Pacult.

Here in the states the price is $23.00 per 750 MIL

13 minutes ago, kuma said:

I'm no expert on any booze but for the money I have been very lucky on choosing my first bottle

of rum and sticking with it.  This is called "Plantation Grand Cru"  Product of Barbados 40% alc. by Vol.  "This rum is not very sweet

and I don't think it mixes well for say a rum and coke.  It is aged first in Bourbon casks then shipped to

France, Chateau de Bonbonnet and placed in small batched Perre Ferrand barrels, hence

double aged.  It is great over ice has a nose of brown suger, honey, dark caramel, candied almonds,

but also pipe tobacco, toasted marshmallow; secondary after further aeration bacon fat, lard,

black raisin, prune;  lots of aromatic acivity here."  Paul Pacult.

Here in the states the price is $23.00 per 750 MIL

by chance, i was looking at a bottle of this from 2000 - on an auction yesterday. highly regarded.

Really, well if you want a bottle I can ship one to you.  I don't think I can aquire a bottle with that vintage

but can always send a current bottle.  Not sure what shipping coasts are say FedEx / UPS but let

me know I'll send a bottle if there is no issue with customs.  Ken any Idea what the rules are for shipping

booze via FedEx / UPS let me know.

1 minute ago, kuma said:

Really, well if you want a bottle I can ship one to you.  I don't think I can aquire a bottle with that vintage

but can always send a current bottle.  Not sure what shipping coasts are say FedEx / UPS but let

me know I'll send a bottle if there is no issue with customs.  Ken any Idea what the rules are for shipping

booze via FedEx / UPS let me know.

appreciate that but i believe we can get it here. also, shipping booze a lottery. had some rums come in without a hitch. others, i had to pay a heap. so exorbitant that i don't take the risk. but many thanks for the offer.

12 minutes ago, dicko said:

To my taste. From sweetest to least sweet...diplomatico, El dor a do, zacapa, Mt *** xo. They are all pretty sweet IMO but none sickly so.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Thanks!

14 hours ago, dicko said:

To my taste. From sweetest to least sweet...diplomatico, El dor a do, zacapa, Mt *** xo. They are all pretty sweet IMO but none sickly so.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

That would be exactly my order as well. The Mount Gay is not in the same sweetness league as the others.

3 hours ago, shlomo said:

I dont find Havana Club sweet at all. Not like the El Dorado 15 or Diplomatico reserva...strange

How would the HC7 compare to the others sweet wise I listed do you think?

Ron Cubauy 10 year old is #1 in my book.  Love the Diplomatico Reserve Exclusiva along with Zaya are 2a and 2b for me.  HC7 and Eldorado 15 are good rum and will pair well with a cigar.  Lengendario is a favourite sweet Cuban rum.  Mixing 50/50 HC7 and Lengendario makes a really nice smooth but not overly sweet combo.  These are only a few, there's lots of other good rum too. 

• Like 1

Guest gorob23

I have been known to try a bit of rum with a cigar. HANDS down IMHO is The RON CENTENARIO GRAN RESERVA 25 YEAR RUM. better that heir own 30. Not sweet and no bite, but then again what do I know :( Try and few and find what you like best.

Rob 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/1/2017 at 5:46 PM, BellevilleMXZ said:

Have done a TON of reading on here, and would like to try a few new one to sip with a cigar.....So far I enjoy the Havana club 7yr.....so how do these compare if any of you have tried some, on the sweetness scale? I don't want to drink alcoholic syrup. Some say they are not too sweet, some say they are very sweet, so don't know what to buy.These below are easy to get close by. Thanks guys

Zacapa 23

El  Dorado 12 or 15

Diplomatico Reserva exclusiva

Mount Gay XO

Don't know about the Mount Gay but the first three listed have some of the most sugar added to them.  I would consider the Diplomatico the sweetest compared the the two El Dorado offerings and the Zacapa.

http://rumproject.com/rumforum//viewtopic.php?t=1683

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magste said:

The Mount Gy isn't as sweet as the other two. Its more like a Cuban style rum in that sense, less sugar added.

Btw check out this site for an overview of the added sugar in many rums. It's quite informative http://thefatrumpirate.com/hydrometer-tests-2

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

Interesting read ,thanks!