Formula 1 - 2017

LAUDA: WE NEVER MADE VERSTAPPEN AN OFFER

Lauda, Marko, Horner

Mercedes F1 chairman Niki Lauda has denied that his team approached Max Verstappen at any time to join the Silver Arrows, reaffirming the team’s full support for Valtteri Bottas alongside four times World Champion Lewis Hamilton.

In the immediate aftermath of Nico Rosberg’s sudden retirement at the end of 2016 Formula 1 season, much speculation surrounded who would get the most coveted seat on the grid for 2017. Verstappen was invariably linked with the seat as were a dozen other drivers.

Paddock rumour had it that Mercedes negotiated an option for Verstappen’ service in 2018 instead, then the talk was a 2019 deal.

Instead, Verstappen extended with Red Bull until the end of 2020, with the young Dutchman set to bank around $60-million over the course of the three years for his services.

But Lauda is adamant that no approach was made, “Actually we never made Verstappen an offer. I have a very good relationship with Red Bull’s Helmut Marko. We fly together and so on.”

“If he thinks you’re taking something away from him, he will make quick contract. We talked about it and I told him: You could have saved a lot of money because we never talked to Verstappen, not even about money.”

Looking back on late 2016, amid Rosberg’s bombshell decision, Lauda recalled, “It was the only right move for us because Bottas was the only top driver that was available.”

Bottas went on to make a strong impression with his new team early on, but by mid-season, Hamilton had stepped up a gear and the Finn was struggling in comparison to his teammate.

Lauda acknowledged, “Hamilton then found new strength. Whether the reason was that Nico was gone, I don’t know. But Hamilton reached a level so that he was almost unbeatable. He made almost no mistakes and had incredible races in the first part of the season when the car was difficult to drive.”

“Bottas did his job, his arrival inspired Lewis. Sure he could have performed a little better, but the Mercedes car was so difficult to drive in the beginning, it was not easy on him,” added Lauda.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

FIA tightens free practice driver licence requirements

jm1727oc177.jpg

The FIA has tightened the requirements for drivers to gain a free practice licence, ostensibly meaning fewer young drivers will be able to take part in Friday practice sessions at Grands Prix.

Prior to the change, drivers wanting to participate in free practice without a superlicence were required to complete 300km (186 miles) in a "representative F1 car" and answer questions on the Sporting Regulations. If successful, a 'free practice' licence would be issued, allowing the driver to take part in Friday sessions.

From 2018 onwards, the FIA has amended those rules, with drivers now needing to have competed in six Formula 2 races or have accumulated 25 superlicence points in eligible championships during the previous three seasons, in addition to the aforementioned 300km of F1 running.

Any subsequent participation in free practice sessions requires a driver to demonstrate they have completed a full season in F2 or amassed 25 superlicence points during a three-year period.

In addition, the team concerned has to certify that they have held a briefing with their driver about the most important points of the rules, whilst the driver must be judged by the FIA to have consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars.

If the new rules had been applied in 2017, only Alfonso Celis Jr would not have been able to run.

F1 extends free-to-air TV coverage deal in Germany with RTL

F1 extends free-to-air TV coverage deal in Germany with RTL

Formula 1 has extended its rights deal with German broadcaster RTL to show practice, qualifying and races on a free-to-air basis through to 2020.

RTL will show F1 track action for the next three seasons, building on its previous two-year deal. It has covered the sport in Germany since 1991, and previously between 1984 and ’88.

Last year’s F1 World Champion Nico Rosberg and former Jordan and Toyota racer Timo Glock will take over the punditry role in 2018 from Niki Lauda.

“Germany is one of the most important countries for Formula 1, where motorsport has deep roots, and RTL Television has been a fantastic and loyal partner for many years,” said Formula 1’s Director of Media Rights, Ian Holmes. “The extension of the agreement comes as a natural consequence of such a strong and mutually fruitful relationship and will guarantee that our fans in Germany will continue to watch Grands Prix on free TV.

Nico Rosberg, Mercedes-Benz Ambassador

“The agreement is part of our strategy that aims to increase and strengthen television coverage on a worldwide basis, whilst tailoring it to the characteristics of each TV market.”

Frank Hoffman, Managing Director of Programs at RTL Television 1 added: “I’m very pleased that as a free-to-air TV station we were able to secure one of the most attractive sports-rights packages out there in such a bitterly contested market.

“We now want to take this long-running success story that we share with Formula 1 and make it into an exciting future project. The new owners have now entered into a new and exciting era together with us and all of our experience, know-how and innovative power will be at their side.”

Audience figures for Germany in 2017 recorded an average of 4.295m viewers per race, with the average live share increasing from 25.1% to 26.2% compared to 2016.

Ferrari F2004 to appear at 2018 Autosport International Show

e3a60cdef8d9c206f25306cadbd28fd2.jpg

The Ferrari F2004 - one of the most dominant cars in Formula 1 history - is set to take pride of place on the main Ferrari feature at Europe's biggest pre-season motorsport show, Autosport International.

Winning 15 F1 races throughout the 2004 season, the F2004 claimed a record-breaking seventh world championship for Michael Schumacher with team-mate Rubens Barrichello finishing the year in second place.

Schumacher also won a single-season record of 13 races, breaking his own record of 11, as Ferrari collected the constructors' championship with ease.

To this day, the F2004 still holds the lap record for seven circuits around the world, including five tracks still used in F1 today. It also took 12 pole positions in 2004.

Its 3.0 litre V10 engine was capable of close to 1000bhp, while subtle changes to the design around the rear of the car were made by Ross Brawn, Rory Byrne and Aldo Costa. The rear wing was made larger, the rear suspension was redesigned to reduce excessive tyre wear and the exhausts were made smaller, all for aerodynamic benefits.

The car joins the Ferrari FXX-K Evo, Ferrari 488 Challenge and a 488 GTE on the main Ferrari feature and is the first representative of the exclusive F1 Clienti programme.

The main Ferrari feature at Autosport International is set to showcase the range of cars available through Corse Clienti, Ferrari's exclusive client racing programme, from Challenge car to GT car, through the XX development cars to Formula 1.

Corse Clienti can, uniquely in the automotive world, take an owner via its Corsa Pilota programme from a 488 GTB through the Ferrari Challenge series to Le Mans, or the XX development cars through to even owning and driving a Scuderia Ferrari F1 car.

Further information about the other cars on the Ferrari main feature and drivers will be announced in due course.

Autosport Media UK Editor-in-Chief, Andrew van de Burgt, said: "The Ferrari F2004 is one of the most iconic Formula 1 cars in the sport's history.

"It was the car with which Michael Schumacher his won his record-breaking seventh title and is a beautiful machine with an exceptional history.

"The Ferrari feature is already set to be a fantastic spectacle for visitors to the show, so make sure you don't miss out on this amazing celebration of the ultimate motorsport marque."

The event is part ofMotorsport Network's UK title Autosport - one of the world's leading print and online motorsport publishers.

MASSA: HAPPY WITH WHAT I ACHIEVED IN FORMULA 1

Felipe Massa

Felipe Massa finally bid farewell to Formula 1, his career spanned 269 grand prix starts and records show he won 11 times and finished on the podium a further 30 times in the 15 years in which he plied his trade at the pinnacle of the sport.

In an interview with the FIA’s Auto magazine, the Brazilian reflected on his career and returment from Fomrula 1 as well as his plans for the future.

After 16 seasons of involvement in grand prix racing, you’re calling time on your Formula One career. It was particularly emotional in Brazil, where you raced in front of your home crowd for the last time. How did that feel?
FM: The nicest memory I will keep with me of my final race at Interlagos is being able to bid farewell to the crowd, which I did from the podium with my son Felipinho by my side. That podium is linked to two of my most vivid memories from my Formula One career: the win in 2006 when I wore a race suit in Brazilian colours, and then in 2008 when I came so close to winning the championship. So to be able to stand on it again with my son, to thank all my fans, was really a very special feeling.

Looking back, are you happy with what you achieved during your career?
FM: I am happy with what I have achieved in Formula One. I have raced at the highest level, for historic teams like Ferrari and Williams; I have won 11 grands prix and two of them at Interlagos, my home race, which for a Brazilian is simply priceless, and I came very close to winning the world title. There have been some difficult moments, in the sporting sense and otherwise, which helped me grow in stature and become stronger as a driver and as a man. One thing I have liked a lot over the past year, from my first ‘retirement’ to my actual one, was feeling the affection and respect from so many people in F1, not just those I know best, those I have maybe worked with, but from so many other people.

You’ve seen plenty of changes in F1 over your time in the sport. How do you see the current climate and the initiatives brought in by the new commercial rights holder?
FM: This is a particularly important moment for Formula One as it goes through some major changes. The arrival of Liberty has definitely brought a breath of fresh air that can only be a good thing. I was particularly impressed with the initiatives aimed at the fans. The sport definitely needs to be more open, because it had become too closed in on itself. Now, it’s a case of laying down the foundations for the long-term future. Formula One definitely has to stay as the pinnacle of motor sport. It has to continue being the series that every driver aspires to, where the best challenge each other in the quickest and most technologically advanced cars. When I was a kid, I dreamed of racing in F1, and I’d like the kids of today and tomorrow to have the same dream. I’m sure the new owners and the FIA, along with the teams and the constructors, will know how to find the best solution.

You’ve made no secret of your desire to race on. Have you thought any more about which series you would like that to be in?
FM: I grew up racing and I want to continue racing, but I haven’t made a decision yet. I have to say I have been impressed at the way Formula E is growing. Last winter I got the chance to test the Jaguar in Sicily and I had a lot of fun. I like the format, both technically and in sporting terms, which means drivers show how quick they are but also use their intelligence in how they drive.

It was recently announced that you’re taking on another role, as President of the CIK/ International Karting Commission. Why?
Because it’s something very close to my heart. I took my first racing steps in karting and it taught me so much about the sport – not just in terms of the pure racing but about competition, fairness, how to win and how to lose and about the joy of motor sport. FIA President Jean Todt knew I wanted to give something back to the sport and he knows my passion for karting so he offered me this role and I was happy to accept. I’m excited about it. A lot of great work has been done in karting in recent years and I hope to continue that.

Your departure from F1 means that for the first time in almost 50 years there will be no Brazilian driver on the grid. How do you feel about that?
FM: Naturally, I’m disappointed. My country has been an integral part of F1 thanks to drivers such as Ayrton Senna, Nelson Piquet and Emerson Fittipaldi and I am honoured to have been part of it. What is worrying is that there is no sign of anyone coming through in the short term. The economic situation in Brazil has part of it, but it’s not the only problem. To go back to karting, there is no structure to prepare young drivers to move from karts to single-seaters and there is no national series that can get them ready to make the move to Europe, which is still the place that offers young drivers the best opportunities to progress. I tried in 2010 with Formula Future Fiat, but it didn’t work. Today, seeing how Formula 4 is doing well in so many countries, I think Brazil needs a championship like this. We have a new president of the Confederaçao Brasileira de Automovilismo, Waldner Bernardo de Oliveira, and I really hope that can be a new impetus to do something for the youngsters.

HAMILTON: WE’RE THE FOUR STRONGEST DRIVERS….

winner, Lewis Hamilton,Mercedes, second,Sebastian Vettel,Ferrari,third,Max Verstappen,Red Bull

Lewis Hamilton has won four Formula 1 World Championship titles, but is quick to acknowledge that in his opinion he is only one of four benchmark drivers of this generation along with McLaren’s Fernando Alonso, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen and Sebastian Vettel of Ferrari.

In the wake of the 2017 season he spoke candidly about himself and these three rivals, “We’re the four strongest drivers. I really hope we are all in the fight next year. It would be amazing.”

“You look at them all slightly differently. They all have different characteristics. Sebastian, for example, from this year, you could say: Give more space. Not in a negative way.”

“Max – takes a lot of risks. Also you have to give more space but he is more inexperienced than the other guys. Fernando – toughest driver there is, so you have to keep that utmost respect for each other but you’ve really got to play your cards right.”

Asked if he felt more comfortable going wheel-to-wheel with Alonso, Hamilton replied, “It seems so. He was very hard and tough but fair. Friggin’ heck – his race-craft is mighty.

Lewis Hamilton, Fernando Alonso

“But Max’s race-craft is very impressive. He’s doing wonderful things but he is going to grow so much over the next 10 years. I don’t think it will be a problem, it’ll just be freaking tough. Wouldn’t that be a fight? Even I’d pay to see that.”

This past season Hamilton and Vettel were the two title contenders, the Ferrari driver having the edge during the early part of the season. At that point there was mutual admiration between the pair, who both relished going head-to-head.

That all went pear-shaped when the due were embroiled in a controversial incident during the Azerbaijan Grand Prix that soured the relationship immediately.

Hamilton was asked if he felt the pressure got to the Ferrari driver, he replied, “I don’t know. That’s difficult. Anything I say would just be an assumption.”

“Pressure points. Weak points. You just keep your foot down, keep the pressure on and when the other shows no sign of weakness… that’s definitely difficult.

2017 Japanese Grand Prix-027

“Look at Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal. At some point in the game, one will see a slight weakness in the other – even if just half a per cent. That’s what they try to capitalise on and which makes the difference and that’s really how it has been this year. The key for me is to be the most solid driver here.”

Did he learn about Vettel’s weaknesses in 2014? “Of course. I’m not going to tell you what I’ve learned but you can see it and I think you guys have learned about him too.”

“He shouldn’t shy away from that. He will learn from the experiences, as we all do. I have had years like that. He has had years of complete solidity like [I did] this year as well. I imagine next year he’s going to be coming back guns blazing,” predicted Hamilton.

HAMILTON GOES VIRTUAL AT THE NURBURGRING

Polyphony Digital have released a new video of Formula 1 world champion Lewis Hamilton in action with Gran Turismo Sport video game.

Here is what they had to say:

We have released the “Lewis Hamilton Reference Laps#1 – Nürburgring”, showing Gran Turismo’s maestro and mentor, Lewis Hamilton, performing a time attack lap on the Nürburgring GP.

In addition to the normal version, there is also an “Extended” version, an uncut 48 minute of a full lap. In the Extended Version, you can see Lewis makes his time attack lap while discussing the approach for understanding the track and cars, and the differences between the performance of F1 and GT3 machines with Gran Turismo Producer Kazunori Yamauchi.

Although there have been great drivers in the past, there is no precedent where a 4th World Champion at the culmination of his career shares his driving technique and driving philosophy. Lewis’ words are precious as a jewel in this age, and they will be a treasure even more valuable in 10 and 20 years time.

Extended video version:

FIA clamps down on steering suspension trick for 2018

jm1724no492.jpg

The FIA has issued a technical directive clamping down on a suspension trick employed by multiple teams during the 2017 season.

Suspension is a key area of development due to the performance gains it can deliver, but adjustable ride height systems are often banned as soon as they're discovered and that's the case once again with this latest development.

The FIA's Charlie Whiting has written to all the teams informing them that a new system, whereby steering angle determines ride height, therefore lowering the car in a corner, will be outlawed.

"It became clear during the season that some teams were designing the suspension and steering systems in an attempt to change the front ride height of the car," wrote Whiting.

"Whilst some change is inevitable when the steering wheel is moved from lock-to-lock, we suspect that the effect of some systems was a far from incidental change of ride height.

"We also believe that any non-incidental change of ride height is very likely to affect the aerodynamic performance of the car."

Whiting explained that such a system was effectively a moveable aerodynamic device, which is banned under the rules with one exception, the drag-reduction system (DRS).

"Any car system, device or procedure which uses driver movement as a means of altering the aerodynamic characteristics of the car is prohibited," the directive added.

"It is our view that such steering systems should be treated in the same way as suspension systems, i.e. that the 1993 ICA ruling should apply when assessing compliance with Article 3.8 of the Technical Regulations.

"Hence, any change of front ride height when the steering wheel is moved from lock-to-lock should be wholly incidental."

Toto Wolff says 'dreadful' halo looks alien on 2018 car

jm1616se104.jpg

Formula 1 cars will look strikingly different next year with the introduction of the halo head protection device, but Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has described it as looking "alien" after seeing it on their 2018 car for the first time.

The device has been pushed through by the FIA on safety grounds and will also be fitted to Formula 2 and Formula E cars next year.

Not only has Wolff branded the halo 'dreadful', but he says it's far too heavy and will cause teams a headache due to the higher centre of gravity.

"It's a dreadful piece," he told ESPN. "We've had it in the staff briefing and we've shown it [on the W09].

"It's a huge piece of metal, much too heavy, it feels completely alien and I'd like to saw it off if I could!

"In terms of aerodynamic development it didn't interfere too much and everyone has the same problem.

"With all the bolts and nuts it's probably 10 kilos that you have up at the highest point in the car, so the centre of gravity moves up a large chunk and you need to compensate for that. So it's all wrong."

Wolff is hopeful that an alternative can be found after more attractive alternatives, such as the Aeroscreen and Shield, were canned.

"We need to look after driver safety and if there is a device that helps to protect lives, then we need to put it on the car. Maybe in the future we can find a solution that is a little bit more aesthetically pleasing than the halo."

Williams should be bold with 2018 driver line-up - Toto Wolff

wolff-williams.jpg

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff believes Williams should make a bold decision over which driver it chooses to partner Lance Stroll next season.

Williams are currently evaluating a number of candidates including Robert Kubica and Sergey Sirotkin, although the latter is believed to be the firm favourite following the Abu Dhabi tyre test, where both tested for the team.

Wolff, a former shareholder in the team, reckons Williams should take a chance on a rising star rather than chasing a driver with funding, although he admitted the team's position made that difficult.

"If I were Williams today I would be bold and would put a George Russell or a Lando Norris in the car or a [Charles] Leclerc," Wolff told the BBC.

"One of these really bright talented kids who have won championships in the past to develop the next superstar.

"But having said that there is a financial reality they live in and they have to find the right compromise."

Meanwhile Wolff said he was more than happy with his current pairing of Lewis Hamilton and Valtteri Bottas, but admitted to keeping an eye out for any developments in the driver market should things not work out in 2018.

"In so far as I would like the pairing to continue, we are committed to both of them in 2018, but having said that 2019 is a very exciting new year.

"There are young drivers that will have gained more experience and some of the very good ones like Daniel [Ricciardo] become free.

"What we want to see is how the first third of the season pans out, whether our car is good enough and strong enough. This is what we are actually concentrating on and then we will analyse and then take the right decisions hopefully."

Stroll certain he answered his critics in 2017

Stroll certain he answered his critics in 2017

Lance Stroll believes he has answered his critics after finishing his Formula 1 rookie season with a podium and 40 world championship points.
The Williams driver, who graduated to F1 after winning the Formula 3 European championship, had a tough start with three successive retirements.

Jacques Villeneuve was particularly critical of his fellow Canadian, suggesting the job he was doing compared to teammate Felipe Massa was "pathetic".

However, Stroll scored his first points in round seven in Canada and followed that up with a podium at the following race in Baku.

He started the Italian Grand Prix from the front row of the grid, after an impressive performance in wet qualifying, and scored points on five more occasions.

When asked by Motorsport.com if he had answered his critics with his performance this year, Stroll said: "I think I have, actually I know I have.

"If people don't want to see that, then that's their problem. It's not satisfying, I never did it to prove anyone wrong. I did it for me, that's what's motivated me this whole time.

"It's not to prove anyone wrong, it's to prove to myself that I'm capable of being the best I can be and doing a good job at what I do.

"It doesn't change anything for me, I'm the same person I was eight months ago when I was going through those hard times."

Stroll ended the year 12th in the drivers' standings, one place and three points shy of Massa.

"It's been a great year," he said. "We've definitely had some great results, broke some records.

"I'm looking where we sit today in the standings, with the amount of points we scored, 40 world championship points – if I could have signed up for that at the beginning of the year, going into my rookie season, I definitely would have.

"Of course there are things we've got to work on over the winter to come into next year stronger and better.

"Just more experience will help. But for a rookie season, I'm really happy about how it went."

WOLFF: WE WANTED TO GIVE MCLAREN AN ENGINE

Zak brown, toto wolff, christian horner

Contrary to popular belief Mercedes chief Toto Wolff has revealed that his organisation was not against supplying McLaren with power units for 2018 and beyond, but blames delays in decision making during the negotiation process for the deal failing.

The McLaren-Honda split was one of the biggest talking points of the season, at one point McLaren boss Zak Brown stated that all options were on the table, but it was always believed that Mercedes and Ferrari were not interested in supplying the Woking outfit.

But Wolff told ESPN, “We wanted to give McLaren an engine, the problem is that it dragged on for a long time and we just didn’t have the structure in place and the capacity to supply them an engine for 2018. It was simply too late.”

“You must never rule out supplying anybody in the future and this is why McLaren or anyone else in the future could be a partner.”

What transpired instead was a complex deal which resulted in McLaren ditching Honda for a customer Renault engine deal, with Red Bull accepting Honda power for their Toro Rosso team and Carlos Sainz being loaned to Renault.

The relationship between Red Bull and Renault, after their four years of glory from 2010 to 2014, deteriorated rapidly as the new turbo era dawned and the French manufacturer was caught flat-footed by the technology.

What exists is an uneasy truce, but on occasions, Red Bull have not been shy to vent their frustration with their engine supplier. This fact has steered Wolff clear of striking a Mercedes engine deal with the energy drinks outfit.

Wolff said of the ongoing Red Bull and Renault saga, “It is exactly because they are saying it like this and undermining their current partner that they are not having one!”

“In Formula 1, like everywhere else in life – be it your private life or business life – it’s about compromise and acknowledging your partner’s strengths and weaknesses and helping each other out.”

“That is very much the culture we have at Mercedes and that has made us successful in the last few years. Respect is a super important part of our values and this is why we have chosen the partners we have,” added Wolff.

RED BULL 2017 ANALYSIS: NOTHING SHORT OF A LETDOWN

Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen, collide, collision, crash

Ongoing engine woes and a chassis that suffered its fair share of problems combined to deliver a 2017 Formula 1 season that fell well short of expectation at Red Bull.

Season Summary

Finishing third with 368 points, Red Bull’s 2017 season was one that fell well short of expectation, even if there were a few high points. The popular choice to challenge Mercedes after a strong finish to 2016, 2017 started on a markedly different foot for the four-time world champions, as the team found themselves not just well behind the Silver Arrows, but also a resurgent Ferrari. Compared to previous years in the V6 era, it was not just their Renault engine that was letting them down, but also a chassis that suffered from missteps in both approach and design.

Daniel Ricciardo, Max Verstappen

Finishing the season with three wins – their most since 2014 – it certainly wasn’t all doom-and-gloom, but the points speak for themselves. Not only did they score 100 less points than 2016, and saw their deficit to Mercedes slightly increase (297 last year, 300 this year), but they weren’t remotely close to Ferrari either, finishing 154 points behind them despite the Scuderia’s own reliability woes and a driver partnership arguably half as good. Undeniably, 2017 was nothing short of a letdown.

Will they bounce back in 2018? Certainly you’d be unwise to count-out a team with Red Bull’s pedigree, but this year showed that nothing is a given. Of course, a large factor (as it always is) will be the quality of Renault’s engine supply, but now we’ve also seen the design team have an off year, and that raises even more questions for an outfit already short on answers.

Rating: 5/10

Driver Ratings

Daniel Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo

Despite his unlikely win in Baku, it’s hard not to characterise Ricciardo’s 2017 as anything other than frustrating. Besides the obvious reliability woes – six DNFs, including three of the last four – the Australian also struggled in his battle with Max Verstappen, losing the qualifying head-to-head 13-7, and having to watch on as the Dutchman snagged two victories of his own in the season’s second half. Still, even if it wasn’t his most successful season in the sport, there’s no denying his place as one of the sport’s preeminent racers, as he repeatedly delivered the goods on Sundays, while also building up a catalogue of overtakes that was nothing short of ridiculous.

Rating: 8/10

Max Verstappen

Max Verstappen

With apologies to Star Wars: The Last Jedi, no story this year has been as inconsistent as the season endured by Max Verstappen. Spending the majority of 2017 enduring the sort of bad juju usually reserved for those who desecrate indian burial grounds, the Dutchman was bounced prematurely from seven of the first fourteen races, but then finished the season with two wins in Malaysia and Mexico that were nothing short of dominant. Combine his late-season results with his year-long advantage over Daniel Ricciardo, and it’s clear the 20-year-old has deservedly earned superstar status.

Rating: 9.2/10

The Stats

2017 WCC Position: 3rd – 368 points
2016 WCC Position: 2nd – 468 points
Wins: 3 (Daniel Ricciardo, Azerbaijan; Max Verstappen, Malaysia & Mexico)
Average Finish: 3.81
DNFs: 13
Times Missed Q3: 2

Boullier: Alonso felt humiliated by Honda woes

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Fernando_Alonso3-700x367.jpg

McLaren racing director Eric Boullier says Fernando Alonso felt "sad, humiliated and frustrated" when he it became clear that Honda's engine performance deteriorated over the winter.

The Japanese manufacturer returned as McLaren's power unit supplier in 2015, but instead of challenging for titles and podiums, they found themselves at the back of the grid.

After they showed some improvement in 2016, there were high hopes that they would take another major step forward this year, but it wasn't to be as both Alonso and Stoffel Vandoorne suffered a string of retirements.

"As a competitor, he is making his mental preparation over the winter," Boullier told Autosport.

"And he is drawing in his head how the season should be, and that even motivates him more because he tries to stick to his own goals.

"So turning up in Barcelona, and having been backwards in terms of engine performance, it is a mix of sadness, humiliation and frustration. It is not good."

McLaren will use Renault engines next year and Boullier is confident the Spaniard will strive to make the team competitive again.

"I always compare him to a shark. When he can sense the blood, he goes straight there," he said.

"And that is why if he feels he can be on the podium or competitive enough to be there, he will not give up one inch to anybody.

"So the pressure on the team will be there but it is a good pressure."

Haas proved new F1 teams can avoid "embarrassment" - Steiner

Haas proved new F1 teams can avoid "embarrassment" - Steiner

Haas has proved new Formula 1 teams need not be an "embarrassment" in its first two seasons, reckons team principal Gunther Steiner.
The previous generation of new F1 entrants had all fared badly, with 2010 incomers Lotus/Caterham, Virgin/Marussia/Manor and Hispania/HRT all remaining rooted to the back of the grid before folding.

While those three teams were created to take advantage of a planned budget cap that never came to fruition, Haas was able to form a technical partnership with Ferrari as rules regarding which components teams must design themselves were relaxed.

Haas has finished eighth in the constructors' championship in both its F1 seasons so far, and was able to cope with preparing for the major regulation change for 2017 while also remaining competitive in its rookie campaign.

"Before we came into the first season they said that we would never make it and so on," Steiner told Motorsport.com. "And they said the second season is more difficult.

"I'd never reply in arrogance to say 'yes, we know that' but I've done it all before in my life and in my career, so I try to prevent it [going wrong in year two].

"At the time I didn't know if I could avoid it or not, but for sure we tried not to and we didn't. I think we did a pretty good job. A second season plus a complete new regulation car, it isn't bad.

"I wouldn't say that we are an embarrassment, you know?"

Haas had hoped to move forward from its 2016 eighth place this year but ended up at the tail of a close battle for sixth with Renault and Toro Rosso.

"The competition this season was very strong in the midfield," said Steiner. "We lost a few points here and there and they make the difference.

"All in all, we have grown as a team and got better but still there is lots of work to do for next year."

Haas ended the year just six points off Toro Rosso's seventh place in the standings and 10 away from Renault in sixth.

"It's always nice to get more," Steiner admitted. "Who would say that three or four million don't make a difference?

"Everything makes a difference, even £100,000, so you would rather have it than not have it.

"But I think that more than the money, it's about how close we were and that we missed it.

"From eighth place to eighth place it's more of the same. That's racing, that's sport - some you win and some you lose. For sure, we will miss the millions."

ABITEBOUL: BLAME IT ON FLAVIO BRIATORE

Flavio Briatore

Eight years since he departed Formula 1 in disgrace, thanks to his role in the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix crashgate scandal, the destructive hand of Flavio Briatore can apparently still be felt within the Renault team.

When Renault returned to Formula 1 in 2001, with the purchase of the Benetton team, Briatore was made managing director and team principal. He presided over the team until his ignominious departure in 2009 and during that period he steered Fernando Alonso to two Formula 1 world titles in 2005 and 2006.

Now over a decade since then, Renault F1 chief Cyril Abiteboul has pointed a finger at Briatore, blaming him for the woes that still afflict the French team during the era of hybrid turbo power units in which they have struggled to match Mercedes and Ferrari.

In an interview with Auto-Hebdo, Abiteboul takes up the story, “Viry-Châtillon [Renault F1 headquarters] is a team which needs to be rebuilt and where everyone needs to learn to work together once again.”

“Today, we continue to pay the price for Flavio Briatore’s decision back in 2007 to fire hundreds of people when it was decided to freeze [F1] engine development.”

“It was a withdrawal from F1 while Mercedes maintained its activities, acquired Ilmor and invested in the future with several road-going projects which prefigured what would happen in F1.”

Abiteboul was appointed Renault Sport F1 managing director in 2014 and was set with the task of reviving the works team while overseeing the production, supply and maintenance of customer engines.

He explained, “Since I’ve taken charge, I’ve recruited around one hundred people at Viry-Châtillon. The structure has obviously been modified, with a redistribution of responsibilities. People now need to work together, and understand each other without words.”

BRATCHES: YOU CANNOT JUST FLICK A SWITCH AND THINGS HAPPEN

Sean Bratches

Sean Bratches is clearly satisfied with the first year of Formula 1 run by Liberty Media and reveals that much is ongoing behind the scenes, but announcements will only be made when deals are cast in stone.

Reflecting on the past year, F1 commercial chief Bratches said, “I think if you look at this year, I think we’ve accomplished a significant amount in terms of building an organization and starting the process. This is a journey and not a destination. We have great aspirations for this sport.”

“It’s not something that you can just flick a switch and things happen, things need to be invested in and nourished and brought to market, and I think you will continue to see a case of announcements, of changes, the broadening of fan touch-points in terms of how we are going.

“On the commercial side we will be launching, for the first time, a responsive web platform, social capabilities, a live and non-live OTT (over the top) service. We were [in Abu Dhabi] until one in the morning crowning the first champion in the Formula 1 eSports.”

“By the way, it’s the first time in a while Toro Rosso has a won a championship!” joked Bratches in reference to the 18-year-old kitchen manager Brendon Leigh who drove a Toro Rosso to claim the eSport F1 title.

“There is more to come and we are working on those plans,” continued Bratches. “But we are not going to sit here and numerate what all our visions are for the sport. We are working hard and when we have something to announce, we will let all of you know.”

“I can assure you that we are going 24-/7 and working to make the sport as great as it can be because we believe there is a huge opportunity,” concluded Bratches.

Formula 1 drivers take part in Secret Santa

Formula 1 drivers were able to get their hands on some early Christmas presents as they took part in a Secret Santa.

Felipe Massa received the perfect retirement gift, but there were some very questionable presents given out with Valtteri Bottas putting his straight in the bin.

Fernando Alonso of course didn’t miss the opportunity for some self-promotion and Daniel Ricciardo was on the end of a joke for once.

Enjoy!

Wehrlein: "You couldn't see" my best F1 races in 2017

Wehrlein: "You couldn't see" my best F1 races in 2017

Pascal Wehrlein reckons his best race performances of the 2017 Formula 1 season were overlooked because Sauber was so far behind by then.
Wehrlein scored all five of Sauber's 2017 points via eighth place in the Spanish Grand Prix and 10th in Azerbaijan, but has lost his seat to Formula 2 champion Charles Leclerc for '18 amid Sauber's enhanced relationship with Ferrari and new Alfa Romeo tie-up.

Though the Barcelona drive was the statistical high point, Wehrlein reckons he performed better than that in the second half of the season - when Sauber's declining form meant the best he could do was 12th in Singapore, and he ended the year with three straight 14th places.

"In terms of result, [Barcelona] was the best race of the year but probably in the second half of the season I had better races, but you couldn't see it," said Wehrlein.

"Even if we had a good race in the second half of the season, you couldn't see it because the gap was just too big - for example, in Suzuka, I was lapped by the second-last guys.

"I'm quite happy in the end with five points. Not all of the races have been good as I wished but I think in general we did what we could do."

As well as Sauber falling away from its rivals, Wehrlein said his own form was hampered by extra issues for much of the latter part of the year.

Pascal Wehrlein, Sauber Pascal Wehrlein, Sauber C36 Pascal Wehrlein, Sauber C36

He said engine problems afflicted him "from Austria to Monza" and "in Japan and Austin the car was all over the place".

Wehrlein was among the long-shot contenders for the Williams seat now likely to go to Sergey Sirotkin. He has now been tipped for a return to the DTM with Mercedes next season.

The 23-year-old added that he was sure he could still return to F1 after 2018 if he had to race elsewhere for a season, joking "I won't retire!" when asked if he feared missing next year would end his F1 career.

Wehrlein said he could look back on 2017 with no regrets and underlined that he was still developing as an F1 driver.

"Definitely I was always giving my best, and I think that's the most important thing that you can say about yourself," he added. "When an opportunity was there, we took it.

"With more experience you think 'ah, one or two races ago I was doing this direction with the set-up, now I know this was worse I should have gone in this direction', and you always learn something."

Hamilton: French GP is at the wrong track

Hamilton: French GP is at the wrong track

Lewis Hamilton says he’d prefer the French Grand Prix to run at Magny-Cours, rather than Paul Ricard, for its long-awaited return to the Formula 1 calendar in June.
Hamilton drove his Mercedes W08 at Paul Ricard in September, making a rare appearance in a Pirelli tyre test as the supplier finalised 2018 slick-tyre compounds.

He completed 114 laps on the day, before handing over to teammate Valtteri Bottas.

In an interview with Canal + Sport’s Thomas Senecal for a season review show, Hamilton was asked his thoughts on the 5.8km Ricard track in Le Castellet.

“Honestly I don't like it, just to be straight with you,” said Hamilton. “I loved it when we used to have the Grand Prix in Magny-Cours. [Paul Ricard] is in a beautiful place, but the track, when I say I don't like it, it's not as great as Magny-Cours.

“I think the most important thing is that we do have a Grand Prix back in France because it's an important part of Europe, it's an important part of the European tour.

Lewis Hamilton, McLaren Mercedes Lewis Hamilton, McLaren MP4/23 Paul Ricard track changes

“It's just, you know, France has so many beautiful, beautiful circuits – Le Mans, for example – and for some reason we don't have it at the most beautiful track. It doesn't register for me, I'm a driver and I'm dead straight with you, and I'm not gonna beat around the bush.

“But maybe we will have the best race of the whole season there.”

The French GP will take place at Paul Ricard on June 24. Built in 1970, the track has hosted the French GP 14 times between 1971 and ’90.

Next year's race will be the first French GP since the 2008 event at Magny-Cours.

Some off-track highlights! | Red Bull Racing 2017 with Daniel Ricciardo and Max Verstappen

At Red Bull Racing we take Formula One very seriously. The trick, however, is to not take yourself too seriously... 

This is a sport, not a dental practice, and the point is to enjoy it. So, at the track, we’re ultra-professional; off-track, well, maybe not so much and in this our drivers like to lead by example. In that spirit we’ve put together our end-of-year alternative highlights reel, showcasing some of our pre-race weekend activations, plus a few moments that – unfairly perhaps – didn’t make it into other videos. Enjoy!

And on that note.... This marks the end of F1 news for 2017. :)

Thanks heaps for reading, contributing and being equally frustrated at times with the politics of the season as well as what is to come in 2018 when the Halo is introduced.

It's time for a break from me, will see you on the forum in the new year.

Until then, stay safe and Happy Holidays. :2thumbs:

• Like 1