Formula 1 - 2017

Haas gives Giovinazzi Singapore FP1 outing after Monza run scrapped

f7213c53b90dfcd0a2366f0788239e8c.jpg

The Haas Formula 1 team will field Ferrari third driver Antonio Giovinazzi in the opening practice session for the Singapore Grand Prix, in place of his scrapped Italy outing.

Giovinazzi was due to make his third FP1 appearance of the season for Haas at Monza, but the plan was altered because the team feared bad weather would compromise its Friday running.

After driving Kevin Magnussen's VF-17 for the first time in Britain and a fortnight later in Hungary, Giovinazzi will take the Dane's seat again in the opening session in Singapore.

Giovinazzi has four other FP1 outings planned for the remainder of the season, in Malaysia, Mexico, Brazil and Abu Dhabi.

He will replace Romain Grosjean in Mexico and Magnussen elsewhere.

The Italian's F1 duties have yielded mixed results this season. Giovinazzi made a shock F1 race debut in Australia, standing in for Pascal Wehrlein at Sauber and almost making Q2 before impressing the team with 12th in the race.

He subbed for Wehrlein in China as well, but crashed out of qualifying and the grand prix.

Wehrlein returned for the following grands prix, but Ferrari agreed a deal with its engine customer Haas to field Giovinazzi in seven FP1 sessions over the remainder of 2017.

Giovinazzi was 0.4s slower than Grosjean and 16th in the first of those, in Britain, but then crashed out of a "brutal" FP1 for Haas in Hungary on his second appearance.

He has stated both his desire to be on the F1 grid full-time in 2018 and his confidence in Ferrari to sort his future - with his prospects boosted by a planned 'junior team'-style affiliation between the Italian manufacturer and the Sauber team.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

Autosport F1 Podcast: Hamilton gains points lead as Ferrari falters

122af9e8428007c8ea2174ae697f409c.jpg

The latest edition of The Autosport Podcast focuses on Lewis Hamilton's newly-acquired lead in the Formula 1 drivers' championship and Ferrari's Italian Grand Prix shambles.

Ben Anderson and Glenn Freeman join Edd Straw to delve into the big stories from Monza, including what might be about to happen in a frenzied engine-supply silly season.

Valtteri Bottas's role in the world championship battle after a couple of unspectacular weekends is also on the agenda, with Hamilton now set to be the Mercedes team's main focus.

The flurry of grid penalties, the epic qualifying session and the differing fortunes of the Red Bull drivers are also among the talking points.

The Autosport Podcast is available to subscribe to free via iTunes and other podcast suppliers - simply search for 'Autosport'.

MARKO: I WOULD NOT BE SURPRISED TO SEE SAINZ AT ANOTHER TEAM

Carlos Sainz

Although Toro Rosso driver Carlos Sainz has a watertight contract with Red Bull, it has now become apparent that the Spaniard may be ‘up for sale’ and may indeed be on the move to a new team at the end of this season.

The team’s driver chief Helmut Marko has in the past made it clear that all four drivers, on the current F1 grid, wearing Red Bull have solid contracts with the organisation that stretches beyond 2017, but this week he let it out the bag that Sainz may have an opt out clause should Red Bull allow it to be triggered.

Speaking to Canal F1, Marko revealed, “It’s difficult to talk about 100% in Formula 1. I would not be surprised to see [Sainz] in another team. Because I know what his contract is, but only we can make it possible.”

In July, Red Bull F1 boss Christian Horner made it known, “Carlos Sainz has a contract with Red Bull Racing. There’s two years left on that contract. If somebody was prepared to make an offer, of course we’d consider it.”

The message from Horner and Marko to teams seeking Sainz’s services, for 2018 and beyond, is crystal clear: “show us the money and anything can happen.”

The most likely option for the 23 year old is Renault who rate him highly and are likely to show Jolyon Palmer the door come the end of this season.

Such a move would only happen, as Marko implied, if Renault are prepared to pay for the ‘transfer’ of Sainz away from Toro Rosso. This could be in the form of a fat cheque or a hefty discount on the engines that Red Bull pay for as a Renault customer.

Although he has been quiet since the season resumed after the summer break, before that Sainz was making high profile noises about being stuck at Toro Rosso for another year and his desire to move to a big team is also well known. Red Bull chiefs had to reign him in and order him to put a lid on it.

But it appears that the door is open for such an option provided there is a sweetener for the energy drinks campto allow Sainz to move to other pastures. Watch this space!

Lewis Hamilton completes 114 laps during Pirelli tyre test at Paul Ricard

DJGwoa0XgAAA4j4.jpg

Lewis Hamilton has completed a day's worth of running at the Circuit Paul Ricard, host of the returning French Grand Prix, for Formula 1 tyre supplier Pirelli.

Pirelli is conducting a two-day test at the circuit to trial 2018 prototype tyre compounds, with Mercedes providing its W08 for both days.

Hamilton completed 114 laps of the 5.8km circuit under sunny conditions with a track temperature of 35°C and an ambient of 27°C.

Hamilton's Mercedes team-mate Valtteri Bottas is due to take over driving duties on the second day of testing on Friday.

Pirelli shares all of its data amongst every team and runs unbranded tyres during the test in order to avoid the involved team and driver gaining an unfair advantage.

Mercedes realistic that Singapore will be "more difficult"

Mercedes realistic that Singapore will be "more difficult"

Mercedes is bracing itself for a more difficult time at the Singapore Grand Prix, despite its back-to-back Formula 1 victories in Belgium and Italy.

Lewis Hamilton's triumphs after the summer break have moved him to the top of the drivers' championship for the first time this year – with Sebastian Vettel struggling for speed in Monza last weekend.

With the Mercedes better on high speed circuits, and Ferrari having the edge at higher downforce venues, many are expecting Vettel to be the man to beat in Singapore.

The Marina Bay circuit, with its tight corners and high downforce demands, is perfectly suited to the Ferrari – and Mercedes well remembers its struggles there back in 2015.

Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff says that his outfit has learned valuable lessons from what has gone wrong in Singapore in the past, but knows it will not be a straightforward weekend.

"Singapore wasn't the best place for us in the past and we were extremely delighted to win it last year, because we had such a difficult time in 2015," he explained.

"I still believe there are certain characteristics of the tracks that suit the car or not, and you can see this year, the slow, twisty circuits have rather suited Red Bull and Ferrari. Lots of high speed downforce was good for our car.

"Now, I don't think that's a pattern you can't break. It's about understanding the car and the more we clock mileage the more we learn about it.

"Nevertheless I still expect it to be a more difficult weekend for us than Monza, Spa or Silverstone because of those characteristics."

One of the areas where Mercedes has paid particular attention in recent weeks is its performance in low speed corners – having faced some difficulties at Spa, especially at La Source.

Wolff believes that the compromises it made in Belgium, where it sacrificed downforce for top speed, helped it better understand what is needed to get more performance from its car at the type of corners so common in Singapore.

"With the new car we are still finding out how to simulate in the best possible way what you think you are going to experience on the track," he said.

"We had some very strong sectors in Spa and we sacrificed raw speed for race speed, and therefore we lacked low downforce performance, braking stability, apex stability and traction.

"We tried to understand that and optimise that for Monza. You can see that we didn't have any of those issues in the slow speed at Monza."

Massa column: Monza result timely ahead of tough races

Massa column: Monza result timely ahead of tough races

In his latest column for Motorsport.com, Felipe Massa reflects on a positive Italian Grand Prix weekend, where both Williams were in the points.

I think we had a good Italian Grand Prix at Monza. I was very happy with the overall result for Williams Martini Racing, with two cars in the points on a weekend where we were very close to the top teams.

At the same time I am also happy to have been able to run in front of an incredible crowd, who were fantastic right from the start of first free practice.

The first good impressions of our potential came on Friday too when, at the end of the two free practice sessions, we showed we had the pace to be in the top ten.

On Saturday, as I am sure you are aware, the conditions changed drastically. Even so, on an extremely wet track, we were competitive and got a really good result.

Even without the grid penalties elsewhere we looked strong, and after everything was shuffled I started seventh – with my teammate Lance Stroll starting an incredible second. He did a great job, and I'm glad he produced such an impressive result for a young driver.

With good positions on the grid there was less chance of hitting trouble at the first chicane, which is always a critical moment at Monza.

Indeed, everything went well on the opening lap, but once the positions had stabilised we saw that at Monza, where car performance is often similar, that overtaking can be very hard.

Lance spent most of the race behind Esteban Ocon, and I was behind the pair of them. And even with DRS, there was very little I could do – because Force India was unassailable. Esteban didn't have the speed to pull away, but equally we did not have the chance to attack him.

On the last lap, I had the opportunity to attack my teammate because of a lock-up he had. I tried, and we almost touched – but there was no point in taking any risk that could put in doubt the good team result.

We were able to finish the race with both cars in the points, something that has only happened once so far this year in Austria. I think we can be happy with that – even though of course we would have really liked to have put both Force Indias behind us.

Looking forward, now we are expecting one of the three races of the year that we rated at the beginning of the year as the most difficult for us. We think Singapore will be as tough for us as Monaco and Budapest were.

The Marina Bay circuit does not have the best layout for our car, and this is not a secret. But there is always hope that there will be an unpredictable race, typical of the city circuit.

My goal is to make sure that I am in the right place to seize any opportunity that could come our way. If we can grab some points by the chequered flag, that will be good news.

Todt backs Halo 'yellow jersey' idea for F1

Todt backs Halo 'yellow jersey' idea for F1

FIA president Jean Todt has backed the idea of Formula 1 introducing a ‘yellow jersey’ model, which would give the world championship leader a different colour Halo cockpit protection device from other drivers.

With the arrival of the Halo in 2018 having divided opinion, there is hope that teams will work hard to make the devices more visually appealing, either through aerodynamic tweaks or through the use of different colours.

Todt is pushing for F1 to make use of the opportunities on offer, and has suggested the Halo is used for improved car number visibility or even to single out the championship leader.

“I think there are some clever ideas,” said Todt when asked by Motorsport.com about his views on the looks of the Halo.

“I heard one idea that I quite like, we should give a different colour of Halo to the leader of the world championship.

“I want to see the name and the number of the cars, which we cannot see. So maybe it will be one opportunity to give that – even if I hear already that teams have sold the space to sponsors. So lucky them!”

In cycling, race leaders of major stage races are given a different colour jersey to the other riders – with the Tour de France using a yellow jersey.

Halo criticisms

Todt says he is unmoved by a fan backlash about the looks of the Halo, because he says his only regret would be not pushing through with the system and there being an accident.

“Honestly, I don’t care,” he said. “I do care if something will happen and I will realise that we didn’t do something that we could do.

“If you see all the last severe crashes in single-seater racing, they have been around the head. I am sure that other bad incidents will happen, and we need to have a vision to do something beforehand.”

Haas hoping to avoid pay driver route

1022.6666666666666x767__origin__0x0_Romain_Grosjean1-700x367.jpg

Team owner Gene Haas has expressed his desire not to take on another 'pay driver' and make money through on-track performances instead.

Ferrari-backed Esteban Gutierrez, who was funded through Mexican sponsors, was ditched in favour of Kevin Magnussen ahead of the 2017 season after underperforming for the American outfit.

But while Haas has said it is impossible not to consider a 'pay driver', he is hoping to avoid that model altogether.

"No, I don't think we rule it out," Haas said.

"But for a business model it doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's no secret that it costs $60m to put a car on the track for the season, and if someone – not just Ferrari – gives you a driver and they're going to pay you $5 or $6 million, there's a $55m deficit there."

"I think our point of view has always been that we need to score points and that's how we make money moving forward. So that's our business model," Haas added.

"I think Ferrari respects that. Based on that, if there's some mutual agreement we could come to, we probably would be more open to it."

ARRIVABENE: FOR ME A DREAM TO SEE KIMI WIN THIS SEASON

Maurizio Arrivabene, Kimi Raikkonen

Ferrari F1 chief Maurizio Arrivabene has kept the faith in veteran Kimi Raikkonen as he handed him another year with the Reds and admits it would be a dream to see the the 37 year old on the top step of the podium again.

Speaking to ESPN, Arrivabene was asked why he had extended Raikkonen’s contract, to which he replied, “The reason why I think is quite clear. [Kimi and Sebastian] went through the last three years with great co-operation within them.”

“They feel very good together, being part of the team and translating this spirit to the overall team, I think we don’t find any reason why not confirming them together.”

Raikkonen was the last driver to win a Formula 1 World Championship title for Ferrari when he did so back in 2007. Since then he has left the team, in 2009, and rejoined them for a second stint in 2014. The Finn has yet to win again in red since his return to Maranello.

But Arrivabene remains confident, “He demonstrated that he could be capable to do it in Monaco. Also in Hungary he was nearly there. I would be happy if Kimi is going to win a race during the course of this season. For me, it could be a dream, because he was working so hard during the last three years and I think if he is going to win I can be happy.”

The Italian team have two young drivers – Charles Leclerc and reserve current team Antonio Giovinazzi – being groomed through Ferrari Driver Academy, but it is not a forgone conclusion that one day they are ehading for a race seat with the team.

Arrivabene explained, “Talking about the young drivers, they are growing, our objective is to of course to grow up young drivers and maybe to see them in the future with us. This is the final goal. But, before that they need to demonstrate in Formula One that they deserve it.”

WELCOME BACK PAUL RICARD!

paul-ricard-1990-french-gp-f1_27255631.jpg

The Grand Prix de France Le Castellet will be the eighth round of the 2018 Formula 1 World Championship season an a track which features a mix of blisteringly fast corners as well as tight technical stretches.

The race is back on the F1 calendar after a 10-year absence and it will be the 15th held on the Paul Ricard circuit.

Alain Prost won the last three French Grand Prix at Le Castellet between 1988 and 1990 after emerging victorious in the 1983 race. Only one other French driver has won in the Var – René Arnoux in 1982.

Some standout points on the circuit situated near Marseille in Southern France, include: the Verrerie Esses and the Camp corner will be enlarged and a chicane will divide the Mistral straight into two sections.

On the exit from the DRS zone the drivers will have to brake from 344 to 114 km/h. Overtaking guaranteed. They will round the mythical Signes curve at more than 340 km/h!

Click on graphic to enlarge:

Paul Ricard Circuit Map

French Grand Prix overview of historical facts & stats:

• Juan Manuel Fangio holds the record for the number of pole positions in the Formula 1 French Grand Prix as he set the fastest time in qualifying on five occasions (1950, 1951, 1954, 1956 and 1957) on the Reims-Gueux and Rouen-les-Essarts circuits.
  • Jim Clark holds the record for the number of consecutive pole positions with four (1962-1965) set on three different circuits (Rouen-les-Essarts, Reims-Gueux, Charade).
  • Michael Schumacher holds the record for the highest number of victories all grands prix combined with eight wins on the Magny-Cours circuit (1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2004 and 2006).
  • Alain Prost is the record-holder for the number of consecutive victories with three on the Paul Ricard circuit (1988 to 1990).
  • Schumacher and Prost the joint record holders for the number of podium appearances (11) on French soil.
  • In the teams’ and engine builders’ categories the Scuderia Ferrari holds all the records for the French Grand Prix with 17 pole positions, 17 victories (6 doubles), 48 podiums, 14 fastest laps in the race, 6061 km in the lead and 370 points scored.
  • The fastest French Grand Prix in the history of the race was the 1966 event on the Reims-Gueux circuit on which Jack Brabham averaged 220,322 km/h.
  • The closest finish also took place on this track in the champagne region when one second separated Juan Manuel Fangio and Karl Kling at the chequered flag in the 1954 event: a scenario repeated in 1961 between Giancarlo Baghetti and Dan Gurney.

Renault believe securing fifth place in standings is possible

renault-williams-jm1711ju370.jpg

Renault believe they have the capability to secure fifth place in the Constructors' Standings, despite currently sitting a lowly eighth above only McLaren and Sauber.

The close midfield battle means fifth-placed Williams are just 15 points ahead of Toro Rosso in sixth, with Haas a further five behind in seventh and Renault one point further adrift in eighth, meaning it is all to play for in the final seven races of the season.

Renault's Cyril Abiteboul believes Singapore is a pivotal point in Renault chasing down Williams, so long as both cars can score strongly in the remaining races.

"Williams sit just 21 points ahead of us in fifth place in the Constructors’ Championship and, with seven races to go, it’s very much in our capability to chase that down by the end of the season.

"We need to create some momentum and string together some consistent results with both cars inside the top ten. Singapore will be vital to kick start this effort."

The team's technical chief, Nick Chester, reckons the remaining circuits on the calendar will suit the R.S.17, which has struggled at the lower-downforce circuits such as Baku and Monza.

"We’ve kept improving the car which has been very positive," he commented. "Since Silverstone the car has been a chunk more competitive. Budapest and Spa kept that trend up and we were the fourth quickest car in terms of pace.

"We weren’t as quick in Monza, but the upcoming races should see us back to the level of performance we saw at Spa. There are no remaining tracks with super low downforce. We have good potential to be strong at these next three Asian races."

He added: "It’s [Singapore] massively different to Monza and almost a stark contrast as a high downforce package is required, and that should suit us pretty well.

"There are a number of things to look out for: tight corners, big kerbs and a lot of traction demands, meaning it can be a hard place to get the right set-up. But if you have a reasonable amount of downforce you should have a quick and competitive car.

"We’d expect to be back to our Britain, Hungary and Spa level of performance."

Christian Horner fears Renault and Honda won't catch up to rivals before 2021

jm1702ma195.jpg

Red Bull team boss Christian Horner says he fears Renault and Honda will be unable to catch up to rivals Ferrari and Mercedes before the new 2021 engine is introduced, but insists his team will do all it can to bridge that deficit with its chassis.

Renault has struggled to keep development pace with Ferrari and Mercedes on the power unit side, which has left its customers and its own works team with a power deficit, whilst Honda, which joined the sport later than its rivals, has endured miserable reliability and performance, which is forcing its sole customer McLaren to look elsewhere for an engine deal.

Red Bull was in the same boat at the end of the 2015 season when it angled for a divorce with Renault, but was unable to find an alternative, forcing the team to remain with the French manufacturer.

That has seen both teams struggling to match Ferrari and Mercedes, and Horner is not confident that the problem will be resolved before the new engine is introduced in 2021, meaning more of the same dominance from the leading operations.

"We'll never accept that we can't be competitive so we'll keep pushing and keep developing and try and make up whatever horsepower deficit there is on the chassis side," Horner told Sky Sports F1.

"But the reality is, those two manufacturers [Ferrari and Mercedes] have such a march, such committed investment, it's difficult to see how the others will catch up in the intervening period between now and 2021."

Post-2021, Horner believes matters will improve as a switch to simpler engine technology could see other manufacturers becoming involved and therefore opening up the competition
"I think there are iconic manufacturers who would be keen to come in if it was affordable," added the Briton. "Aston Martin being one of them, Lamborghini attending meetings. So long as you have Ferrari there, so long as you have historic teams like McLaren and Williams and so on, and other manufacturers like those I've mentioned were to come in. I think it's all about the spectacle.

"Manufacturers have always come and gone in F1 whenever it's suited them. I think the most important thing is to get the product right, get the show right, and then it's up to the manufacturers to be there or not."

McLaren would consider building its own engine for 2021 regulations

mclaren-logo-jm1305se26.jpg

McLaren has said that it is considering building its own engine for 2021 when the new Formula 1 power unit regulations are released, although this will only happen if costs are reduced.

While the present seems more important for McLaren during its ongoing struggle with Honda and its potential switch to Renault power, the Woking-based team has said that in the longer term, new opportunities could open up.

According to Zak Brown, McLaren's exectutive director, F1's current engine landscape could be set for a sizeable change in the future when the current V6 Hybrid Turbo era comes to an end.

"We're interested to see what the new engine formula is in 2021 - and whether we consider doing our own engine, or whether other people would come in under new rules," he said at last weekend's Italian Grand Prix.

"So right now we've got to focus on the next three years and, as soon as we get that figured out, then yeah, of course we've got to look.

"I think the landscape in Formula 1 is going to change in a very positive way from '21 onwards, with budget caps, revenue redistribution, and new engine rules," he added. "So it's a little hard to take any decisions on '21 with so many things that will change."

Despite expressing his excitement at the upcoming changes, Brown said that McLaren would have to know what the new engine rules would entail in advance before it would go down the route of designing its own power unit. 

"For us to do our own engine, that's not something we've done before - so that would require a good lead time and some good capital expenditure," he said. 

"We'd consider doing it. We just need to have an understanding of the platform, what are the rules, and what is it going to cost?" he asked. "We certainly wouldn't be in a position to spend the hundreds of millions that it takes now to develop engines, so they're going to have to change the engine formula for it to be something that economically would be viable for us."

Brown went on to say that the best directon Formula 1 could take would be to attract an independent engine supplier which would guarantee a competitive power unit.

"We'd be very much in favour of there being an independent, competitive engine, not just an engine that makes up the numbers.

"The manufacturers are great, I fully embrace them. But it would be healthy for the sport, like it's been in the past, to have an independent engine that teams can use should they choose, and it be a competitive engine. That's key," he added.

"The last time around Cosworth was in, and at the end they weren't competitive. So it doesn't work to just have an independent engine if it's not something that you can win races with."

Video: Onboard with Mick Schumacher at Spa in father's Benetton

Celebrating Michael Schumacher's 25th anniversary of his first win in F1 – his son Mick drove Michael's 1994 Benetton F1 car for a lap during the 2017 Formula 1 Grand Prix weekend in Spa.

Sainz's Renault switch agreed as McLaren deal looms

Sainz's Renault switch agreed as McLaren deal looms

Carlos Sainz has signed a deal to join Renault, Motorsport.com has learned, in a move that will trigger a series of dominos to secure McLaren the French car manufacturer’s engine for 2018.

While news of McLaren’s progress in its efforts to switch from Honda engines has not been forthcoming in public, behind-the-scenes developments appear to show it has succeeded.

High level sources have confirmed that Sainz’s deal has been agreed as part of a sweetener for Renault to end its Toro Rosso contract early.

With the Sainz deal agreed, that has opened the way for Toro Rosso to finalise a switch to Honda engines next year, which in turn ensures McLaren gets hold of its supply of customer Renaults for 2018.

Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team Team RS17 Carlos Sainz Jr., Scuderia Toro Rosso f1-italian-gp-2017-carlos-sainz-jr-scuderia-toro-rosso-str12-stoffel-vandoorne-mclaren-mcl.jpg

Sainz element

After a frantic Italian Grand Prix weekend, where discussions to sort the McLaren-Honda situation had been intense, it emerged that Sainz was becoming a key part of the equation.

Renault indicated that it wanted some incentive to switch its customer supply from Toro Rosso to McLaren - and with Sainz, it has a promising youngster that it can place alongside Nico Hulkenberg to help its efforts to move up the grid.

Although the provisional deal is for 2018, sources have suggested that Sainz could join Renault as early as this year’s Malaysian Grand Prix if the outfit elects not to continue with Jolyon Palmer.

If the Sainz switch happens from Sepang, then it is likely that Pierre Gasly will be given the call-up to join Daniil Kvyat at Toro Rosso.

No firm decision has been taken regarding Sainz’s replacement for 2018, but one contender would be Honda junior driver Nobuharu Matsushita, who will likely be released from his McLaren development driver role.

However, Matsushita does not yet have enough superlicence points to be able to race in F1, so needs to have a strong end to his F2 campaign to be in with a chance of a step up.

Fernando Alonso, McLaren, his girlfriend Linda Morselli Stoffel Vandoorne, McLaren MCL32, Fernando Alonso, McLaren MCL32 Jolyon Palmer, Renault Sport F1 Team RS17

McLaren to Renault

Sainz’s Renault deal has cleared the way for Toro Rosso to complete its switch to Honda engines, with the Faenza-based team also taking a supply of McLaren gearboxes for the Japanese power unit.

Once the Toro Rosso-Honda agreement has been finalised, then the final issue to be sorted will be McLaren’s Renault contract – although that will then likely be a formality.

It is thought that all the deals will be complete by the start of next week, to ensure that announcements can be made ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix.

A switch to Renault power is thought to be enough to convince Fernando Alonso, who had lost patience with Honda's lack of progress in recent months, to remain at McLaren in 2018.

The welcome consequence of Sainz's Renault move

Opinion: The welcome consequence of Sainz's Renault move

Carlos Sainz's impending move to Renault will be just reward for his performances - but it could also hand a well-earned Formula 1 chance to another deserving racer.

There are many different possible outcomes, good and bad, that the ongoing McLaren-Honda-Renault-Toro Rosso shuffle could yield for all the people and organisations involved, but at least one aspect of the whole deal looks likely to benefit all relevant parties.

Carlos Sainz Jr, who is understood to have signed for Renault as a result of the whole saga, is getting a drive for a factory team with a sizeable budget and a well-known long-term plan.

Renault, which last year targeted another young driver Esteban Ocon but was reportedly unwilling to develop him for the benefit of rival Mercedes, is getting its own rising star, with plenty of potential and yet quite a bit of experience.

And while Red Bull probably isn't thrilled at the prospect of giving up Sainz, it does get now to offload a driver who seemed somewhat unsettled, as well as shake up a Toro Rosso line-up that was no longer gelling and almost certainly receive some form of financial compensation.

Sainz has performed well since joining F1, the high points of his Toro Rosso tenure clearly outweighing the low points, so anyone who hadn't already earmarked that second Renault seat for Robert Kubica is likely to appreciate this particular development.

Yet the ripple effect could be just as positive, because Sainz departing Toro Rosso should be logically followed by 2016 GP2 champion Pierre Gasly finally making his grand prix debut.

In limbo

Pierre Gasly, Red Bull Racing Test Driver

From the outside, Gasly's situation at Red Bull has always looked rather particular. As the story goes, Red Bull scouted him in two-litre Formula Renault in 2012 but decided against making him a junior – only to bring him on board when he won the series title the year after.

He joined but couldn't win in Red Bull colours until last year, although he did score poles and podiums – and a runner-up finish to none other than Sainz in the Formula Renault 3.5 title race in 2014.

And when he did finally start winning, en route to the GP2 title, it was probably too late to convince his Red Bull bosses to give him a chance at the expense of the erratic yet obviously talented and arguably more proven Daniil Kvyat.

Last year, Red Bull announced its decision to retain Kvyat even before the end of Gasly's ultimately successful GP2 title campaign. And the Frenchman's 2018 prospects hadn't been looking all that great in the recent months, with both Franz Tost and Christian Horner expressing a desire to keep the Toro Rosso line-up as is.

The whole situation has appeared rather harsh on Gasly, who felt back in 2016 that Red Bull was too hasty in determining its line-up – and remains convinced he's done enough to be in F1.

Laying out the case to Motorsport.com earlier this year, he said: “I was the youngest driver to win in 2.0 at the time, I finished second in 3.5 in 2014 when I was 18 years old.

"When JEV [Jean-Eric Vergne] finished second in 3.5, he had the chance in F1. When Daniel [Ricciardo] finished second in 3.5, he had the chance, and when I won GP2, I was the youngest since [Nico] Rosberg, I was younger than Lewis [Hamilton].

“Of course I had seasons that were more difficult, and had to adapt, sometimes it took me a bit longer. But overall in every series I’ve done I’ve finished in the top three.

“Last year I won GP2 and I expected to make it into F1. It didn’t happen for reasons out of my control, I was told I had to wait.”

Red Bull reasoning

Daniil Kvyat, Scuderia Toro Rosso STR12

Of course, Red Bull isn't unreasonable. For one, that his GP2 title doesn't seem to have convinced the higher-ups is understandable, as Gasly's Prema team was clearly class of the field and rookie teammate Antonio Giovinazzi ran the Frenchman very close.

The reluctance to part ways with Kvyat also made sense. Sure, the Russian has underperformed since his demotion to Toro Rosso last year, and some have posited his continued employment is down to commercial reasons. But it's a lot more likely that Red Bull still keeps faith in a driver who once looked like a world-beater – and who the energy drinks giant has nurtured since 2010.

And, of course, there's also the small matter of Red Bull having more data than anyone to base this particular decision on – although Gasly has always insisted the team is happy with his testing performances.

“I’ve been with Red Bull for a couple of years, and every time testing has gone really well," he said. "In the simulator also they can compare me to Daniel and Max, and when you test you compare.

“They know my speed, they know me as a driver.”

Those outside of the team don't get to see the exact data the line-up decisions are based on. But while Gasly's championship record doesn't present a bulletproof case for why he's a better bet than Kvyat, it does present one for why the Frenchman should get a shot at Formula 1.

The right decision

Pierre Gasly, Team Mugen

That he will get his shot is not yet a guarantee. Sainz's impending move certainly helps Gasly's odds – and if, as some suggest, the switch happens as early as Sepang, Gasly would surely get the call-up to STR.

Yet as far as 2018 goes, it is not implausible Gasly would be overlooked if Honda uses the Toro Rosso link-up to put one of its own drivers – namely, Nobuharu Matsushita – into Formula 1.

Matsushita, currently racing in F2, has acquitted himself very well on the European single-seater scene since arriving in 2015. But the Japanese racer has simply not done enough yet to surpass Gasly in the F1 queue, even if, at the conclusion of the season, he manages to pick up the required superlicence points (which at this point is a bit of a long shot, as he needs to finish inside the top three).

In the meantime, Gasly himself has only been adding to his CV this year, with a thoroughly convincing Formula E debut at late notice in New York and a fighting Super Formula campaign – incidentally, as part of Honda's contingent in the series - that has now yielded back-to-back wins.

Asked about Gasly's situation last month, Sainz said he had “sympathy” for the Frenchman, adding: “The problem about lower category formulas is it doesn’t really matter if you’re doing a great job.

“You need a gap to appear all of a sudden in F1 to jump up. You need quite a lot of circumstances coming together.

“Patience is probably the key outside of Formula 1. And even if you’re doing a good job in Formula 1, it doesn’t mean you’ll move up.”

Sainz has certainly done a good job in Formula 1, and he looks to be getting the move he wanted. That's a positive story for F1, but another deserving racer getting his promotion as a result would be icing on top.

Red Bull expecting more engine penalties

Red Bull expecting more engine penalties

Red Bull fears that it will have to take more engine grid penalties this year, after switching to new power units at the Italian Grand Prix.

The Milton Keynes-based team has endured its fair share of frustrations with Renault this season, as the French car manufacturer has battled with reliability throughout the campaign.

Red Bull took a tactical change in Monza last weekend, to ensure no risk of problems in Singapore, but it reckons it will not have enough mileage left to get through the campaign without more new components being needed.

Team boss Christian Horner said: "We are for sure going to incur a further penalty. I hope we have the choice strategically where we take that penalty, but it is not likely we will get to the end of the year without incurring another penalty."

Reliability response

Although the prospect of further grid penalties is not ideal for Red Bull, Horner has praised the way in which Renault has responded to its recent run of reliability problems.

After Max Verstappen's retirement from the Belgian GP, Renault has put counter measures in place for issues it has suffered, has upped its push for new parts for customer teams, and will assign more personnel to Red Bull from the next race in Singapore.

When asked about the job Renault had done in recent weeks, Horner said: "They have certainly responded, which is encouraging.

"But the problem is, they were new engines in Monza, so if we would have had an issue with the first engine in its cycle it would have been fairly catastrophic.

"The encouraging thing is that they seem to be taking it seriously. They are not putting their head in the sand and hopefully that will follow an upward trend between now and the end of the year."

Sauber planning to hire 100 new staff

Sauber planning to hire 100 new staff

Sauber plans to increase its workforce by a quarter as it bids to haul itself back into the Formula 1 midfield in 2018, according to team principal Fred Vasseur.

Vasseur is in the process of overhauling the team, having taken over from Monisha Kaltenborn, and is turning his attention to the staff numbers after securing the latest spec engine from Ferrari for 2018.

The Swiss team's current staff stands at around 320, one of the smallest on the grid, but Vasseur hopes to boost that by around 100 by strengthening all departments, particularly aerodynamics.

"The number we are is too small," he said. "We have to grow up, we have to grow up in each department, mainly in aero. More or less, that [400] will be the target."

Vasseur hinted the recruitment could happen reasonably quickly and used former team Renault, where he spent a year as team boss, as an example.

"When I joined Renault last year, we were at 470 and I left at 600," he said.

But he stressed that it was not just a case of boosting numbers, but rather finding the right people.

"We have to take the guys at a good place and in a good position," he said. "If you increase the headcount, you have to increase the budget but that was not the most difficult part of this.

"You have to find the right guys, you have to identify the position. To take guys that you want to make numbers. That would be the worse case. It would be better to stay at 320 than to take guys like this."

Traditionally, Sauber has found it tricky to recruit staff given its base is in Switzerland while the majority of F1 teams are in the UK, but Vasseur is not daunted by the challenge.

"There are advantages and disadvantages [of being based in Switzerland]," he said. "When you're in the UK, it's easy to move from one team to another one.

"On the other end, in all areas, we'll have some guys coming from Germany, looking for a position. I moved to Switzerland and I really appreciate the move."

RED BULL DRIVERS PREVIEW THE SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

DanielRicciardoF1GrandPrixHungaryQualifying4aoycZquwCZx.jpg

Red Bull drivers preview the Singapore Grand Prix, Round 14 of the 2017 Formula 1 World Championship, at Marina Bay Circuit.

Daniel Ricciardo: “I believe Singapore won’t be our only chance but is one of our best chances of a win in the second half of the season. You have to build up speed a little slower in the practice sessions on a street circuit like Singapore. At some point you have to start taking risks but to do that straight away doesn’t make sense.

“I always prepare for the race with some acclimatization training. You feel the heat when you’re in the car, but when you stop after the race and the adrenaline decreases you feel it even more. After the race I will easily sink five litres of water to rehydrate before I go to bed.

“I’ve started second and finished second at this track in the last two years, with fastest lap both times, so my aim this year is definitely to start on pole and try to go one better in the race.”

Max Verstappen: “I’m looking forward to getting to Singapore as it’s always a special weekend. The race has been a strong one for us in the past and I think we should be able to challenge for a podium this year.

“The night race and hot temperatures really test you to the limit and for me Singapore is physically the hardest race of the season. I have been preparing already for a few weeks doing heat training in the sauna and getting ready to sweat so I can cope with the heat in both Singapore and Malaysia.

“The track itself has a lot of corners which is why I enjoy driving there and like most street circuits it’s pretty bumpy which makes it even more challenging.”

HAAS PREVIEW THE SINGAPORE GRAND PRIX

Romain Grosjean

After competing in the quickest race in terms of duration, as the Sept. 3 Italian Grand Prix at the 5.793-kilometer (3.6-mile) Autodromo Nazionale Monza ended in a blistering 1 hour and 15 minutes, teams participating in the FIA Formula One World Championship head to the series’ longest race – the Singapore Grand Prix Sept. 17 at the 5.065-kilometer (3.147-mile) Marina Bay Street Circuit.

Since joining the Formula One calendar in 2008, every Singapore Grand Prix has come to within four minutes of the series’ mandated two-hour time limit. The 2015 race was the longest, eclipsing the two-hour mark by 1 minute, 22 seconds. No one complains, however, as Singapore is a destination venue on the Formula One calendar. Its cutting-edge culture and incredible modernization have turned the tropical island located only one degree north of the equator into a global hub for business and tourism, with Formula One’s visit to the world’s only island city-state combining both in glorious fashion.

When Singapore came upon the Formula One scene, it was more than just a new venue in a stunning location. It was Formula One’s first night race and the first street circuit in Asia. The Singapore Grand Prix has grown in stature since, with drivers eagerly anticipating the 23-turn layout despite its challenging nature.

Powerful lighting illuminates the track in such luster that drivers say it is clearer than in daytime, as there is no glare. And with those lights shimmering off the cars’ sinewy shapes as they shoot down the straights at 320 kph (200 mph) while sparks shoot from their underbodies, fans are treated to a sensory assault that can only be found at Marina Bay Street Circuit.

Masking the awesomeness of 20 Formula One cars screaming around this elaborate track is the prowess drivers must possess to keep their cars in one piece. The walls surrounding Marina Bay Street Circuit are unforgiving, but in order for a driver to wring every ounce of speed from his racecar, he must dance with those walls while navigating the numerous bumps of the track’s surface.

If that’s not enough, Singapore in September is hot. Really hot. And for added measure, really humid. As much as the Singapore Grand Prix is run at night for aesthetic purposes, nighttime is the coolest time for drivers and spectators alike. Nonetheless, temperatures inside the racecar can reach 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit).

Despite the tough track and equally tough environs, the Singapore Grand Prix is embraced by drivers. The electric atmosphere of the city and the beauty of Formula One at night, where exhaust flames and glowing brake discs provide a technicolor display that goes unnoticed in daylight hours, are appreciated by the drivers. It’s a modern-day Monaco.

The lights are bright at Marina Bay, and Haas F1 Team wants to shine. The American outfit comes into Round 14 of the 20-race Formula One schedule in an incredibly tight battle with fellow constructors Toro Rosso and Renault. With 35 points earned so far this season to place itself seventh in the constructors standings, Haas F1 Team trails sixth-place Toro Rosso by just five points while holding only a one-point advantage over eighth-place Renault.

These razor-thin margins can change drastically with a strong, point-paying performance, and Haas F1 Team drivers Romain Grosjean and Kevin Magnussen are keenly aware of this fact. Grosjean last scored points two races ago in the Belgian Grand Prix with a seventh-place drive that pushed the organization well past its 29-point tally from all of last season. Magnussen’s most recent point-scoring effort was a seventh-place finish in June at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix. Both drivers are hungry for more points with only seven races remaining in 2017.

Singapore, home to numerous restaurants serving high-end cuisine that satisfy even the most discerning palate, can dish up points for the less discerning Haas F1 Team. Points are points, no matter how they’re served, and in the 10th anniversary of the Singapore Grand Prix, a top-10 performance will yield those coveted points. The table is set in Singapore for Haas F1 Team.

Image result for gunther steiner 2017

Guenther Steiner, Team Principal

The past two grands prix have been at high-speed circuits where teams opt for minimal downforce. Belgium seemed to work out well for the team, but that wasn’t the case in Italy. Despite having to qualify in the wet on Saturday, what made these two high-speed tracks provide such different outcomes?
GS: “I think the outcome was not so different. In Monza, Kevin’s race pace was very good. Obviously, Romain starting last, then hitting somebody at the start and coming in on lap two to change the front wing, the race was gone. It’s very difficult to compete because you’re so far back, but Kevin finished 11th. Five teams finished in front of us. We were the sixth-fastest car. If one or two had dropped out, we would again have been in the points. So, it wasn’t a fantastic week for us in Monza. Spa was better. The car was in a similar performance level between the two races. It’s just like Spa, with a few dropouts, maybe it was better, and some of our main opponents being a little bit worse there put us into the points. All in all, for the development we are doing on the high-speed version of the car, it’s very small and we had a decent result. I would say we were a little bit better in Spa than we were in Monza, but otherwise we weren’t too far apart. It looked worse than it actually was.”

Now you head to a street circuit where downforce is much more necessary. Is the Singapore Grand Prix a venue that suits the Haas VF-17 better than the high-speed tracks?
GS: “It’s not only about downforce levels, it’s also about how to use the tire and which level of downforce we need to run. As always this year, it’s not only about how good we are, it’s how good our opponents are and how they can get their cars to work at the circuits. We always see where we end up with our other opponents in the midfield.”

Using the tire properly means finding its optimum operating window. With Pirelli bringing the Yellow soft, Red supersoft and Purple ultrasoft tire to Singapore, what are your expectations?
GS: “I would say in qualifying that the softest tire was always the fastest tire – even if the drivers don’t feel a big difference. A harder tire has never been faster. In the race, it’s more about race distance, what you can do, and how quick they drop off and the time you lose. Normally the softest tire for the race weekend is always the fastest tire. I think this trend will continue in Singapore.”

Singapore is one of only three night races on the Formula One schedule, but it’s also the original night race. Do you like competing at night?
GS: “I think a street race and a night race are just cool. I quite like it. It’s something different. Singapore is a great city. The nice thing about doing it at night is that it cools down a little bit, as during the day it’s really hot. If they were all night races, maybe I wouldn’t like it, but a few in the year is very good.”

With Formula One’s slate of European races over, use of the team’s transporters and hospitality unit is also over. How helpful is it to have all that equipment at the track on a consistent basis, and how hard is it to transition back to flyaway races?
GS: “It’s nice to have your own equipment with you. You know where you are going and don’t have to change every weekend, but then again, it’s just part of our job to always deal with what we are given. All of the supplies we take to flyaways we ship in sea containers, so it’s all of our stuff. It’s just in a different building and it needs to be set up. Our trucks and hospitality unit will be serviced and repaired and they’ll come back out in the springtime.”

Singapore has become a destination venue for Formula One. What makes it such a desirable event?
GS: “It’s a race in a big city – a cool city – and it’s a night race. There are some cool elements for people to do when they go there. There’s lots of nightlife and you can stay in the city and walk to the racetrack.”

Singapore spurred more night races in Formula One just as Bristol (Tenn.) Motor Speedway spurred more night races in NASCAR. You’ve been to both. Can you compare the two? Are there any similarities?
GS: “I would say a night race is always exciting and I think if all the races were night races, it wouldn’t be as interesting. With NASCAR and Formula One night races, you have the whole day to build up to it. It’s just cool.”

The schedule at Singapore seems to be very smartly laid out. Practice and qualifying is at roughly the same time as the race, providing consistent data for the teams. And fans across the globe get consistent TV times to watch all the coverage, as the times are the same as they’ve been for all of the European races. As a competitor but also as a stakeholder, can you describe how beneficial this is for Formula One?
GS: “Consistent TV times are good because fans know when to tune in. That’s very difficult to do with a global sport, so this schedule is good from that perspective. It’s also a good thing for the teams because they will sleep during the day and work at night, and not be jet lagged.”

Can you describe the atmosphere generated by a night race? Is there a heightened sense of excitement and anticipation because the Singapore Grand Prix is so visually stimulating?
GS: “The adrenaline is higher when the atmosphere around the track is cool. The spectators have the whole day to get ready and get excited, and for us it’s just cool.”

Image result for romain grosjean 2017

Romain Grosjean

The past two grands prix have been at high-speed circuits where teams opt for minimal downforce. Belgium seemed to work out well for you and the team, but that wasn’t the case in Italy. Despite having to qualify in the wet on Saturday, what made these two high-speed tracks provide such different outcomes?
RG: “I think Monza was more just about the drag and the efficiency of the low downforce. At Spa-Francorchamps, there were a few more corners where we could exploit a bit more of the potential of the car. So yes, we struggled a bit more in Italy. The pace looked good on Friday, but over the grand prix it was a bit more complicated and difficult.”

Now you head to a street circuit where downforce is much more necessary. Is the Singapore Grand Prix a venue that suits the Haas VF-17 better than the high-speed tracks?
RG: “I think it will. Every time we run maximum downforce, the car seems to work better. We’ve got a better efficiency between drag and downforce, so that’s good. The key for us in Singapore will be to get into the tire window. If we do so, we’ll be in a good place. But again, that’s not easy to achieve.”

Singapore is one of only three night races on the Formula One schedule, but it’s also the original night race. Do you like competing at night?
RG: “I do like the Singapore Grand Prix. I do like competing in the night. It’s pretty good fun. It makes some great footage, and clearly Singapore is one of the most beautiful races you can have by night. It’s pretty awesome. It provides something a bit different on the calendar. I’m very much looking forward to it and seeing what we can do there.”

Because the Singapore Grand Prix is at night, is there a heightened sense of speed?
RG: “It’s actually easier at night because the lights never change. The luminosity is always the same. You stick with the same visor, and driving at those speeds in those conditions is absolutely fine.”

Can you describe the atmosphere generated by a night race? Is there a heightened sense of excitement and anticipation because the Singapore Grand Prix is so visually stimulating?
RG: “It’s pretty cool. Everyone loves it, especially the VIPs, who then go partying after the race. It’s a special one, for sure. It’s a race everyone waits for. It’s a tricky track, and you’re racing at night downtown when it’s very hot and humid, so there are a lot of factors that make it exciting.”

Singapore’s layout forces drivers to run close to the track’s walls for the majority of a lap. While the margin for error is always low in Formula One, is it even lower at Marina Bay Street Circuit?
RG: “Yes. You pretty much have to hold your breath and hope for the best, especially when you’re pushing in qualifying, as you run so close to the walls.”

How do you handle the bumpy nature of Singapore’s layout, and are there specific sections of the track you have to remember to avoid?
RG: “Especially between turns three and four, and on the long straight, it’s very bumpy. You really want to find the right line there. When you make an overtaking move there, you’ve really got to be sure you’ve got the car with you as it’s very tricky.”

There are 23 turns at Marina Bay Street Circuit, the most of any Formula One venue. Which ones are the most treacherous and why?
RG: “To be honest, every corner is tricky. It’s difficult to just pick one.”

Between the bumps and the heat, how physically taxing is the Singapore Grand Prix?
RG: “It can be very physical. All week we never see the sunlight, so that takes a bit of energy away. Then it’s humid, it’s hot and it’s always a long race. We usually reach the two-hour limit. It’s very, very demanding. I remember back in 2013, I lost four kilos (nine pounds) of water during the race, which is quite a lot.”

In addition to its physicality, is the Singapore Grand Prix mentally exhausting because of the close proximity of the walls, its multitude of turns and high safety-car frequency?
RG: “Mentally it’s very difficult, as much as it is physical. It’s clearly one of the races where you need to be at your fittest in the season.”

Despite the mental and physical nature of the Singapore Grand Prix, drivers love it. Why?
RG: “Simple, we love a challenge. That’s why we race in Formula One and that’s why we drive these cars and race at over 300 kph (186 mph). We love it.”

Because of Singapore’s high heat and humidity, do you do anything special in advance of the race and during the race weekend to stay hydrated?
RG: “I think as long as you’re fit as you can be, that’s the most important thing. I cope pretty well with the heat, normally. I just get myself ready, jump in and go for it.”

Where are the overtaking opportunities at Marina Bay Street Circuit?
RG: “On the long straight after turn four, and then again when you come back after the bridge on the second longest straight into the braking zone.”

Prior to racing at the Marina Bay Street Circuit in Formula One, did you have any experience at that track?
RG: “No.”

Was your first Formula One race at Singapore in 2009 your first time racing under the lights? What did you think of the experience?
RG: “It was pretty cool. The lights are perfect, so you don’t really feel like you’re racing at night. I didn’t get many laps first time out, but it was a great experience.”

What is your favorite part of the Marina Bay Street Circuit?
RG: “Good question. I like turns one to three – the first complex, basically.”

Describe a lap around Marina Bay Street Circuit.
RG: “Main straight going into turn one, heavy braking, easy to front lock. You want to carry through some speed there. You go into a tight hairpin with a tricky throttle application. Then turn four is a mid-speed corner going into the longest straight on the track, big braking at the end of that. Then a right-hand side, 20-degree turn followed by a left-hand side, 90-degree turn. Then you go to the left carrying some speed with a right chicane. It’s pretty tricky going under the bridge. There’s a bit of a bump, tricky braking at the end before that left hairpin. On the back straight it’s important to get good traction. Big braking to go into the next right-hand side, 90-degree turn. The next braking zone is a bit tricky, then the chicane at (turns) 18 and 19, having passed the stadium, where there’s no room for error. Last sequence – lot of inside curb through turn 21. We see a lot of cars touching the wall on exit there. The final corner is the second quickest on the track. It’s pretty cool. You carry top speed from there to the start.”

Image result for kevin magnussen 2017

Kevin Magnussen

The past two grands prix have been at high-speed circuits where teams opt for minimal downforce. Belgium seemed to work out well for you and the team, but that wasn’t the case in Italy. Despite having to qualify in the wet on Saturday, what made these two high-speed tracks provide such different outcomes?
KM: “I think we were a little bit wrong in our tire choice in Monza in the wet. The car was handling well on the full wet, but on the intermediate tire, it was wrong for us, as we couldn’t get any heat into the tire. I think the full wet would’ve been a lot faster. This is a new tire and you learn all the time. Lesson learned, for sure.”

KM: “It’s difficult to say. I don’t really have a lot of success in guessing our performance beforehand. I usually get it wrong. I’ll go there and see how we get on.”

You have two career starts in the Singapore Grand Prix and you’ve finished in the points each time. Is there something about the layout that suits your driving style?
KM: “I don’t really know. I think it’s a cool track, fun to drive. It’s pretty difficult to overtake, but fun nonetheless.”

KM: “I would say yes. It doesn’t really make a big difference. You don’t notice it so much. It’s cool. It looks nice.”

KM: “It’s not something that a driver really thinks about. It looks cool on television. The cars look a lot shinier and spectacular.”

Singapore’s layout forces drivers to run close to the track’s walls for the majority of a lap. While the margin for error is always low in Formula One, is it even lower at Marina Bay Street Circuit?
KM: “Yes it is. If you miss your braking or get on the power a bit too early, there’s a wall and you’ll be likely to hit it. This makes the consequences a bit bigger for any mistake, which is cool.”

How do you handle the bumpy nature of Singapore’s layout, and are there specific sections of the track you have to remember to avoid?
KM: “There are some bumps around the track. You’re trying to avoid them as much as you can. It’s not possible to avoid all of the bumps as you need to take your racing line. It makes it easy to lock up in some places.”

There are 23 turns at Marina Bay Street Circuit, the most of any Formula One venue. Which ones are the most treacherous and why?
KM: “Turn five. It’s pretty high speed and there’s a wall very close to the track.”

Between the bumps and the heat, how physically taxing is the Singapore Grand Prix?
KM: “It’s pretty tough. It’s very hot and humid. It’s probably one of the hardest races. It goes on for the two-hour limit nearly all the time. It’s a tough race with so many corners – you don’t really get any breaks. There’s not a lot of straights to relax.”

In addition to its physicality, is the Singapore Grand Prix mentally exhausting because of the close proximity of the walls, its multitude of turns and high safety-car frequency?
KM: “Yes it is because it goes on for a long time, so your fatigue affects your mental performance as well. It is a tough race.”

Despite the mental and physical nature of the Singapore Grand Prix, drivers love it. Why?
KM: “I think because it’s a challenge. It’s a different weekend to the rest of the calendar. It’s because it’s unique.”

Because of Singapore’s high heat and humidity, do you do anything special in advance of the race and during the race weekend to stay hydrated?
KM: “You drink more to make sure you’re hydrated.”

Where are the overtaking opportunities at Marina Bay Street Circuit?
KM: “Turn four and turn seven after the straight.”

Was your first Formula One race at Singapore in 2014 your first time racing under the lights?
KM: “Yes, it was my first time.”

What is your favorite part of the Marina Bay Street Circuit?
KM: “Sector two. It’s cool, twisty, and fun.”

Describe a lap around Marina Bay Street Circuit.
KM: “Bumpy, twisty and hot.”

Sainz moving to Renault.  Can't say this was a surprise but I just don't see the lovefest behind him.  He's certainly no Maldonado but he's not a top tier talent in my eyes.  So TR gets Honda Engines next year, with possibly RBR switching to Honda if they get their poop in a group (not holding my breath).  This is also a sign that Fernando will have to stay with McLaren or do WEC/Indy next year.

Disagree with Gunther.  F1 needs to go back to a V8 engine.  Lets make it simple.  It doesn't need to be high tech, look how unreliable and overcomplicated these engines have been.  Shouldn't be difficult to make a bulletproof V8.  And then we can do away with those asinine grid penalties. 

• Like 2

Mercedes unveils F1-powered 1000+ HP hypercar

17c698_011_1024.jpg

Mercedes AMG has unveiled its Project One hypercar, powered by its Formula 1 power unit plus four electric motors to create 1000+ horsepower.

The car, unveiled at the International Motor Show in Germany by Lewis Hamilton and Mercedes chairman Dieter Zetsche, is capable of more than 217mph (350kph) and can accelerate to 124mph in "under six seconds", half a second quicker than the Bugatti Chiron.

With F1 power units often lasting no longer than a handful of races, the power unit is limited to 11,000rpm for reliability and service reasons.

"The Mercedes-AMG Project ONE is the first Formula 1 car with MOT approval," Ola Källenius, Member of the Daimler AG Board of Management, commented. "Our highly efficient hybrid assembly stems from motor racing and the electrically powered front axle generates a fascinating mixture of performance and efficiency.

"With a system output of over 1,000hp and a top speed beyond 217 mph (350kph) this hypercar handles exactly as it looks: it takes your breath away."

The hypercar retails at an eye-watering £2.5m!

amg17084_sx027b_ext_comp_v008_sc_hr.jpg

amg17084_sx020_ext_comp_v011_sc_hr.jpg

amg17084_sx018_ext_comp_v011_sc_hr.jpg

amg17084_sx016_ext_comp_v006_sc_hr.jpg

screenshot_20170911-203118.jpg

• Like 1

Carlos Sainz Jr. hopes to make up for 2016 result

jm1726au416.jpg

Toro Rosso’s Carlos Sainz Jr. says he is hoping to make up for last year’s disappointing Singapore Grand Prix result when Formula 1 returns to Marina Bay this weekend.

Sainz Jr. qualified in sixth position for last season’s race but made contact with Nico Hülkenberg off the line as he avoided the slow-starting Red Bull of Max Verstappen.

Sainz Jr. was forced into an early stop, knocking his strategy off-kilter, before an Energy Recovery Systems problem skewered his prospects further, as he came home outside of the points.

The Spaniard is hoping to make amends for Toro Rosso this weekend.

“Last year I performed one of my best qualifying sessions of the season, something which is very important to do in Singapore as it's difficult to overtake during the race,” he said.

“Unfortunately, the good qualifying didn't count for much in the end, as I had a frustrating start when I got hit as the lights went out.

“It was a very tough moment, as I was expecting to fight for points.

“We probably lost a chance of scoring a strong result, so let's see if we can do it this year.”

Team-mate Daniil Kvyat says Toro Rosso needs to grasp any opportunity which comes its way, as he chases his first points finish since May’s Spanish Grand Prix.

“Last year I finished in the points after a very good qualifying session on Saturday so I hope we can be competitive also this year,” said Kvyat.

“In addition, everything can happen in Singapore, the walls are very close and the physical preparation can make a big difference.

“We need to take any chance that comes our way and bring home points.”

Toto Wolff: Singapore to favour Ferrari, Red Bull

jm1703se317.jpg

Mercedes boss Toto Wolff has underlined that the characteristics of the Marina Bay Street Circuit, which hosts this weekend’s Singapore Grand Prix, should favour rivals Ferrari and Red Bull.

Mercedes has held the advantage at high-speed venues which favour aerodynamic efficiency in 2017, but struggled at low-speed circuits where high-downforce is favoured.

Additionally, while Mercedes dominated Formula 1 between 2014 and 2016, its weakest performances often came at Marina Bay, where it was defeated in 2015 and only narrowly claimed victory 12 months ago.

Wolff is confident that Mercedes has learned from previous defeats, including its displays in Monaco and Hungary this year, but is nonetheless wary that it faces a challenge this weekend.

“Identifying clearly our strengths and our weaknesses has been a strength of our team in recent seasons,” said Wolff.

“As we have pushed to become better and stronger in every area, we have put the finger in the wound in order to understand the root causes of both our good performances and the bad ones.

“In 2015, Singapore provided us with one of the most painful experiences in recent seasons, so we rolled up the sleeves, learned from it and managed to bounce back with a great win last year.

“But notwithstanding that success, this is a circuit we have found difficult to master with its combination of short, sharp corners, relatively short straights and bumpy surface.

“So far this year, we have seen the pendulum swing according to circuit type.

“On the surface, Singapore is the kind of circuit that should favour both Ferrari and Red Bull.

“Both have shown strong performance on low-speed circuits demanding maximum downforce, and we have found life more difficult at those places in 2017.

“Sometimes, characteristics like this are simply in the DNA of a car.

“Nevertheless we learned a lot from our struggles in Monaco, raised our level of performance significantly in Hungary and we have made good progress in understanding what we need to do in order to get the most from the chassis.”

Lewis Hamilton currently leads Sebastian Vettel by three points in the Drivers' Championship, while Mercedes holds a 62-point advantage over Ferrari in the Constructors’ battle.