Formula 1 - 2017

PROST: SUPPLYING MCLAREN IS GOOD FOR RENAULT

Alain Prost, Cyril Abiteboul

Renault special adviser Alain Prost believes that supplying McLaren is a good development for the French marque, but admits there is an element of risk taking on another strong team.

Prost told Sky, “It’s a good achievement that we have an agreement with McLaren. It was a long process, not only about having a new partner but the Renault strategy for the long-term. We wanted everything in our hands.”

“It’s good for us even if we take a little bit of risk with a very strong team beside us as a competitor. But as a works team you want to beat everybody.”

“It was a question of being positioned with things in our hands,” added the Formula 1 legend who won three of his world championship titles with McLaren in the eighties when, ironically, they were powered by Honda.

In the wake of the agreement between Renault and McLaren, which could only happen because Toro Rosso accepted taking on Honda power, there have been reports suggesting that Red Bull will also part ways with the French engine supplier.

No one is officially denying or confirming such a scenario, and when asked Prost did little to clarify what could transpire, “The fact that we accepted the deals with the engines, it was very difficult to have Renault on one side and Honda on the other side with both Red Bull teams.”

“It’s all about what is the best for us because we want to be improving our situation in the future,” added Prost.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Formula 1 - 2017 - Why The Hell Not! Yeah, yeah.... @OZCUBAN will no doubt be saying "I told you so" and I really was going to leave Formula 1 at 2016 for at least a year but I figured being

Ugh.  Long long day here.  3 flights followed by a 4 hour drive home and 2 near crashes on the way home.  Love it when the idiots close down one lane of the interstate, back traffic way behind the lan

Hi all. Just advising you all, in a few hours, I'll cease posting for a couple weeks as I am off on break with my son being school holidays here. I most likely won't post anything as the first pa

LOWE: WE WILL BE MAKING SUBSTANTIAL CHANGES

Paddy Lowe

Williams technical chief Paddy Lowe has confirmed that big changes, across the board, are on the cards for his team which has under-performed this year

Lowe, who joined the Grove outfit in March this year, after a highly successful spell at Mercedes, told Sky, “We will be making some quite substantial changes.”

“There are lots of different things that we will be doing and we are well into that at the moment. We’ve got some great engineers, some of whom have also come from other teams in recent years, so there are a lot of great ideas there.”

“We have a lot of people who know what it takes to win and we will put the best of that together and make the best car we can. There will be quite a few areas where we will be changing philosophy.”

Both veteran Felipe Massa and rookie Lance Stroll have struggled with the FW40 and as a result Williams are only fifth in the Formula 1 Constructors’ Championship with 59 points, but 65 points behind Force India in fourth and seven points ahead of Toro Rosso in sixth.

Massa has questioned the rate of development of the team relative to their rivals, believing that not enough is being done to keep pace in the relentless ‘arms-race’ between grands prix.

Lowe agrees, “We are fighting hard in the midfield and we haven’t created any distance ahead of it and if anything we have slipped well into it over the last couple of months. We need to understand if something is going wrong or if we have been out-developed.”

“We need to improve in all sorts of areas, that’s the nature of the competition. It’s about out-competing the other teams in the most important areas. That needs talent, time and money. The problem is no team has enough of those, they always want more.”

“We have a set of resources and it is our job to do the very best we can with those resources. It’s about efficiency. I think we can be a lot more efficient than we have been at the moment.”

“As we build more success, that will attract to us more resources to improve ourselves further. That’s the formula of grand prix development,” added Lowe.

Behind Ferrari and McLaren, Williams are the third most successful team in Formula 1 with 114 grand prix victories, nine constructors’ world titles and seven drivers’ world championships on their illustrious CV.

FIA alters Formula 1 superlicence points system

jm1727au459.jpg

The FIA has made alterations to the Formula 1 superlicence points system, with only two series now offering the required number of points to automatically qualify for a superlicence in one hit.

Any driver that wants to race in F1 must hold a superlicence, which requires 40 points earned over a three-year period, with different series offering a varying number of points, depending on where a competitor finishes.

Previously, those drivers that were crowned champion of Formula 2, European Formula 3, Formula E, IndyCar and the World Endurance Championship LMP1 class all received the necessary 40 points to qualify.

However, only F2 (formerly GP2) and IndyCar now offer the required 40 points, with drivers placed first, second and third in F2 earning maximum points, whereas only the champion in IndyCar will be awarded 40 points, with second earning 30 and third 20.

F3 European, Formula E, and WEC LMP1 have been downgraded to 30 points for their respective champions.

The list has been expanded to cover a total of 35 series ranging from NASCAR and V8 Supercars to Formula Mazda and the CIK-FIA Continental Karting Championships Junior Category.

Sauber confirms practice runs for F2 leader Charles Leclerc

Charles-Leclerc_SauberF1Team.jpg

Sauber has confirmed that Formula 2 title leader Charles Leclerc will carry out practice runs at four Grands Prix across the remainder of the 2017 season.

Ferrari-backed Leclerc will pilot the C36-Ferrari during the opening 90-minute practice sessions in Malaysia, the United States, Mexico and Brazil.

Marcus Ericsson will step aside during the opening practice session at Sepang, though Sauber has not communicated the plan for the other three sessions.

Leclerc, 19, made appearances in four practice sessions with Haas in 2016, en route to the GP3 title, before graduating to Formula 2 this season.

Leclerc has taken five wins and holds a commanding 59-point lead over Renault-affiliated rival Oliver Rowland with just two rounds remaining.

The Monegasque youngster has also made test outings for Ferrari, most recently during last month’s post-race running at the Hungaroring.

Sauber has not yet determined its 2018 driver line-up, with Leclerc a strong contender to step up to a race seat.

Haas F1 deny favouritism after team orders at Singapore Grand Prix

jm1717se439.jpg

Haas F1 has denied rumours of favouritism after using team orders to let Romain Grosjean past Kevin Magnussen at the Singapore Grand Prix.

Magnussen was on the cusp of scoring points in the race after letting Grosjean through and felt that the decision that Haas took could have cost him a points finish.

The Dane's race however, ended prematurely when an engine issue forced him to retire while Grosjean went on to secure his seventh points finish of 2017 by finishing in ninth.

Haas F1's Guenther Steiner made it clear that any issue over the decision had been cleared up after the race: “We spoke with the drivers after the race about the situation because we have to clean the air when we make these decisions," he told Danish Broadcaster BT.

“I think we took the right one.

“We talked and cleaned the air. That’s what I do with the boys. At least they did not drive into each other or anything else stupid.

“Perhaps we hurt some feelings, but we explained why and that was accepted.”

Steiner also denied the rumours of favouritism: "There is no favouritism. Romain and Kevin are equal, but during the races we make certain decisions from the pitwall.

“We can be wrong, but I do not think we were here,” he added,

• Like 1

FIA defines Halo load test rules for F1 2018 cars

FIA defines Halo load test rules for F1 2018 cars

Formula 1 teams can finalise the specification of their 2018 chassis after the FIA confirmed details of how the new Halo cockpit protection device load test will be conducted.

Full details of the Halo, which will be introduced in a grand prix for the first time next season, and the loads expected on that the chassis mountings had been shared, but teams were waiting on how the push test will be applied.

This impacts how the loads will be distributed through their chassis, and the complication is that the test cannot be conducted with a real Halo fitted, because it would fail before the chassis mountings.

The delay in defining the test has caused frustration for some teams, particularly those whose level of resources mean that key design parameters must be frozen early.

But after talks with the teams, the FIA has now defined the test and amended the technical regulations accordingly, with the changes ratified when the World Motor Sport Council met in Paris on Thursday.

Regarding the test, the FIA says a dummy structure must be used in place of the Halo.

For each test, peak loads must be applied in less than three minutes and be maintained for five seconds.

After five seconds of application there must be no failure of any part of the survival cell or of any attachment between the structure and the survival cell.

The nature of the load and the way in which it is applied, is detailed in the regulations.

The FIA added that all static and dynamic load tests must be performed with the secondary roll structure (whether dummy or otherwise) removed.

Meanwhile, the World Motor Sport Council also ratified changes to the technical regulations that instigate improvements to chassis strength and wheel retention systems for 2018.

Regarding engines, the FIA has brought forward the deadline in which manufacturers must inform the governing body of its intention to supply engines from May 6 to January 1 of the preceding year.

The next World Motor Sport Council meeting will be held on December 6 in Paris.

Massa column: Vettel too forceful in Singapore GP start

Massa column: Vettel too forceful in Singapore GP start

Felipe Massa reflects on a challenging Singapore Grand Prix and offers his view on the controversial accident between the Ferraris and Max Verstappen at the start.

I had been expecting an uphill weekend in Singapore, which was confirmed in many respects, but I left the track with the satisfaction that we were at least close to finishing in the top 10.

As seems to be the rule for everyone in Singapore, we experienced a weekend full of unforeseen events at the Marina Bay circuit. In my case it started with a poor qualifying. On my final lap in Q1, I made a mistake by touching one of the walls on the track.

It was a moment that cost me between six and seven tenths, and meant I failed to make it through to Q2. I do not think we would have been able to get in to Q3, but I was sorry not to have been able to deliver fully on the potential we had available.

On Sunday, the weather forecasts proved correct, as shortly before the race the rain arrived – and got more intense as we got closer to the start. It meant a tough choice deciding on which tyre to begin the race.

The wet qualifying at Monza, a track which does not have great grip, showed that the full-wet was the thing to have. I felt we could potentially find ourselves in similar conditions in Singapore, as the streets there are normal public roads that were unlikely to give you great traction in the wet.

Felipe Massa, Williams Felipe Massa, Williams FW40 leaves the pits

The only major difference to Monza was the temperature, but I thought that starting from the back on the full wet tyre would be less risky – especially in the first laps. That then would give me a chance to gain some positions on those who had taken more chances with the intermediates.

My tyre choice seemed obvious, but within a few moments I realised that my evaluation was not the right one – because my times were slower than many of my midfield rivals.

I didn't even have great chances to win positions in the opening corners because those ahead of me on intermediates had the best tyres from the very first few metres.

Once the times had stabilised, and the team had noted the different pace of the tyres, the safety car came out for Daniil Kvyat's crash and I thought it would be a good time to switch to the intermediate tyres.

I told the team over the radio, but they told me to stay out on the track, as they wanted to try and avoid an extra stop for intermediates and move me straight onto dry tyres. Even though I was not convinced about the choice, I kept going.

I obviously gained some positions over those who had pitted for fresh intermediates, but once the race got going again my rhythm was really slow. It was really hard to find a decent race pace, and suddenly I found myself dropping off the pack by 20 seconds in just three laps.

When I finally pitted for intermediates, on the first lap out, I was five-and-a-half seconds quicker than my previous best lap – and from that moment on the race pace was good.

Unfortunately, the previously lost ground could not be recovered and in the end I failed to get into the top 10 before the chequered flag.

Williams Martini Racing did at least get four points thanks to Lance Stroll's good finish, holding back Renault's push in the constructors' championship, so that was the best news of the weekend.

Felipe Massa, Williams, settles in to his seat Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari SF70H, Max Verstappen, Red Bull Racing RB13, Kimi Raikkonen, Ferrari SF70H, collide at the start 

Startline crash

After the race, I noticed the great stirring in the paddock because of the startline crash. I have to say that I didn't see anything in the first moments of the race, since there was just a wall of water in front of me.

Since then I have had the chance to watch the start on television, and I think Sebastian Vettel was just a little too forceful when he tried to defend his lead – which triggered everything else happening. Of course Max Verstappen is still young, but in the end I do not think he made any mistake.

When you are like Sebastian and get to this stage of the world championship, and you are still fighting for the title, it all gets very complex. I would have thought that Sebastian would have only wanted to cover Lewis Hamilton – since they are alone in their battle for the crown.

An F1 season has plenty of episodes like this. Sometimes they are insignificant, but at other times – especially when your rival's competitiveness is very close - they are the very things that can make the difference in the end.

I still remember what happened in Singapore 2008. It was one of the most unlucky races of my career, and I will never forget the weight it had on my season.

F1 demo rules changed by FIA to allow current cars to be used

9f9c127370f52be39d0eee888b7c7050.jpg

Formula 1's rules have been tweaked to help its new owners pursue their plans to organise more demonstration events similar to July's F1 Live event in London.

The FIA World Motor Sport Council has formally approved a change which will allow teams to run current 2018 machinery, or year-old 2017 cars, in demo events next year.

The change will make it easier for teams to run their current cars away from race weekends and official test sessions next year, but only at events organised by the commercial rights holder.

F1's rules contain tight restrictions on the testing of current cars, which are officially defined as those built to the regulations of the previous season, the current season, and the following season.

Previously, teams have only been allowed to run two demo days with current cars between the last race of the season and the end of the calendar year, for no more than 15km, and "at the sole discretion of the FIA, and with the full knowledge of all competitors".

In effect such days are for teams who may want to celebrate a world championship victory at the end of the season, something that Mercedes has done in the past.

Despite the rules being opened up for next year, the 15km limit has been retained, and it is specified that "no such demonstrations may take place on track configurations currently approved for use by Formula 1 cars".

Because of the restrictions teams have always done other demonstration runs with older cars, which is why the most recent machines used at the London event were from 2015.

Force India and Haas did not take part in London as they did not have available machinery - Haas does not have a two-year old car - while Renault and McLaren used historic cars.

Often finances or logistical issues such as a change of engine supplier make it impractical for teams to main two or three-year-old running cars.

a022a391b937491aae7e02f9296ea425.jpg

FORMULA 1 CRANKING UP THE VOLUME FOR TV

F1GrandPrixofGreatBritainRZXHtGdoqjsx.jpg

Formula 1 is working on a microphone that can be attached to a car’s exhaust system to make the sport louder and more ‘visceral’ for television viewers.

Engine noise has been a talking point since the quieter, more fuel-efficient 1.6 litre V6 turbo hybrid power units were introduced in 2014 in place of the raspier and less sophisticated V8 engines.

Formula One’s commercial managing director Sean Bratches said more needed to be done for the worldwide audience.

“One of the things that we want to amplify going forward are the sounds of the sport, because they are viscerally moving to fans and critically important in all the research that we do,” he told Reuters.

Bratches said Australian producer David Hill, a man with a stellar reputation in sports television and broadcast innovation, was involved in that.

“He’s working with a German concern to develop a ceramic microphone that we can actually adhere to the exhaust pipe to get the true amplification of sound for fans,” he said, as one example.

Older generations of Formula One fans still mourn the passing of the ear-splitting V10 and V12s, although the V10 wail has returned to the racetrack through the introduction of a two-seater programme run by former Minardi team boss Paul Stoddart.

Formula 1 has witnessed a quiet revolution following the takeover of U.S.-owned Liberty Media in January with fresh camera angles, apertures and positioning to create more of a sense of speed.

Previously, there was as much of a focus on ensuring track advertising was prominent as on getting the most exciting angles.

Hill, a former boss of the Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox Sports, has attended several races and is a long-time associate of Formula One chairman and former Fox Broadcasting chief executive Chase Carey.

Formula One insiders said the Australian had been working with F1 broadcast operations at Biggin Hill airfield in southern England.

A trumpet-like ‘megaphone’ exhaust was tested by teams in 2014 to try to boost noise levels but the experiment was deemed a failure.

Formula One faces a decision on what kind of engines to use from 2021, with some calling for a return to simpler, cheaper and louder ones that would allow new manufacturers to come in. Others want to develop the greener technology.

Jean Todt, president of the governing FIA, said in March that any attempt by Formula One to turn back the clock would be unacceptable to society.

MIKA: Jean Todt is a joke and I'm pretty much at the end of my interest in F1 if this keeps on going. 

This sums up how I feel about F1 at the moment 

• Like 1

RICCIARDO: MAX IS THE TOUGHEST TEAMMATE I EVER HAD

Max Verstappen, Daniel Ricciardo

Daniel Ricciardo has revealed that his toughest teammate is current Red Bull partner Max Verstappen, ahead of four times F1 World Champion Sebastian Vettel with whom the Australian teamed up with in the energy drinks team for a season.

The Australian made his Formula 1 debut at the 2011 British Grand Prix with HRT alongside Vitantonio Liuzzi. In 2012 he was partnered at Toro Rosso with Jean Eric Vergne, a year later he was promoted to the Red Bull team alongside Vettel.

In 2014, Vettel departed for Ferrari, with Daniil Kvyat promoted from Toro Rosso. But that partnership ended at last year’s Spanish Grand Prix when Verstappen replaced the Russian at Red Bull.

Ricciardo and Verstappen have remained teammates since then and the Australian says the teenage Dutchman has been his biggest challenge.

“I don’t want to take anything away from Seb,” Ricciardo told Channel 4. “He is and was and still is a great driver, but I believe Max is the toughest teammate I have had. Hopefully he says the same for me!”

The duo have had their on track moments, notably the Hungarian Grand Prix when the Aussie was punted off by Verstappen on the opening lap of the race as they jostled for position.

Clearly angry on the day Ricciardo, who suffered an instant DNF while his teammate was able to continue, immediately radioed his team: “Someone hit me. If that’s who I think it was…”

During the interview in Singapore the 28 year old recalled the incident, “The marshal was pulling me off the track, I was like ‘don’t touch me’, I really wanted to wait for Max to drive past. In the heat of the moment I may have said some things… but I still feel that I handled myself all right.”

But the pair made up shortly after the race when Verstappen sought out Ricciardo to apologise, “We’ve moved on. Obviously I was upset but that was out of my control, so what more can I do?”

“He apologised like a man, that was important. We had a private sit down, pretty much like we are now but without the cameras, and we spoke so that was important.”

Both the highly rated drivers have been given no favours with the current Red Bull package which is firmly third in the pecking order and rarely seriously challenge Ferrari and Mercedes.

Nevertheless, against the odds, Ricciardo scored a victory at the Azerbaijan Grand Prix

“I’ve got to make the most of what I’ve got right now and I feel I have. When I do get podiums, or even Monza when I got up to fourth place, for me that makes me happy.”

“It’s not the ultimate goal of what I want but in the present moment I’m getting everything out of what I can so it’s making me happy enough,” added Ricciardo who lies fourth in the world championship standings with 162 points, Verstappen is sixth on 68 points.

THE VERY CURIOUS CASE OF DANIIL KVYAT

Daniil+Kvyat+F1+Grand+Prix+Great+Britain+KMDMrL48iTVx

Daniil Kvyat has had an interesting career in Formula 1, his record at the pinnacle of the sport is checkered to say the least, yet despite under-performing at every level of late he remains in favour with the powers that be at Red Bull.

The Russian 23 year old made his debut for Toro Rosso at the 2014 Australian Grand Prix and things began well for him with a points score, ninth place, in his first race at the pinnacle of the sport.

His teammate at the time was Jean Eric Vergne, who had been teammate to Daniel Ricciardo, the Frenchman actually beating the Aussie in their first year as teammates at Toro Rosso in the 2012 world championship.

Despite this Ricciardo got the nod to replace Mark Webber in the Red Bull team for 2014 and the rest is history, as he went on to establish himself as a front-runner, winning three races in his first season with the energy drinks senior team.

Ricciardo+Kvyat+Grand+Prix+of+Hungary+bPvXMfSfE6Dx

Granted when Kvyat was drafted into Toro Rosso, Vergne had a couple of years on him in terms of experience, but the French did outscore the Russian 22-8 in the 2014 championship.

But when Sebastian Vettel departed the team in 2015, to join Ferrari, it was Kvyat who got promoted to Red Bull alongside Ricciardo, with Vergne unceremoniously dumped by the organisation – his Formula 1 career over.

Kvyat enjoyed a solid season that year, scoring points 14 times in the 19 races, finishing second in Hungary. Ricciardo, after a stellar 2014, was beaten in 2015 by the Russian who outscored him 95-92.

It was the highlight season of Kvyat’s career and it would be fair to say at the time that Red Bull had made a good call, almost justifying the Vergne axing.

In the junior team Helmut Marko took a risk by placing two rookies in the team. Carlos Sainz and Max Verstappen were drafted in and from the outset both proved to be rather handy, with the teenage Dutchman smashing records on his way to out scoring Sainz 49-18.

In 2016 something changed with Kvyat. Through no fault of his own, his season started with a DNS thanks to an electrical issue which prevented him from starting the season opener in Melbourne.

At the next race in Bahrain, Kvyat was involved in a first lap melee but recovered to finish seventh.

In retrospect, perhaps the rot started at the next race in China. Kvyat was like a bull in a China shop as he blasted off the line and tagged both the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel who tagged his teammate Kimi Raikkonen as they hurtled through the Turn 1 complex. At this point the Russian was starting to look a tad desperate, but his aggression on the day paid off as he finished third.

vettel kvyat

Next up was Kvyat’s home race at Sochi, again he was very aggressive at the start, colliding into Vettel again, this time a big impact from the back as the field hurtled into Turn 1, and then in Turn 3 the Red Bull rammed the Ferrari which ended in the barriers.

The incident forced Vettel to retire while Kvyat’s race was compromised and he trundled around to finish down in 15th.

Vettel, a four times F1 World Champion with Red Bull, was outraged by Kvyat’s actions and made his feelings well known. Red Bull summoned their driver for talks about the incident, with Marko describing the Russian as “over-motivated.”

What happened next shocked the Formula 1 world. Ahead of the next round, in Spain, Red Bull announced that Kvyat would be demoted to Toro Rosso and young Verstappen promoted to the Red Bull team in his place.

The teenage Dutchman then sealed the deal forever by winning his first race with the team and his side of the story is now entrenched in Formula 1 legend. But that’s another tale…

At the time Kvyat got the sympathy vote from media and fans alike, it was a cruel move by Red Bull who were known to have a very tough driver development programme, but this was a swipe from left field.

Helmut+Marko+Daniil+Kvyat+F1+Grand+Prix+Malaysia+g_hedENya_Ux

After all during the course of their history they not only dispensed of the above-mentioned Vergne, the likes of Sebastien Buemi, Alex Felix da Costa, Brendon Hartley are all victims of the organisation’s ‘we make you or we break you’ modus operandi.

Needless to say, at that point, Kvyat’s days appeared numbered, but Red Bull assured all and sundry that they would help their driver rebuild his confidence and even suggested that if Verstappen failed at Red Bull they would replace him with the Russian. Of course that never happened and never will.

The statistics will show that this was the time that Kvyat’s Formula 1 career was doomed. He had imploded and in hindsight he has never recovered. In fact it would be safe to say that since he has not recovered or evolved as a driver. There has been no improvement. Indeed his finest year, 2015, has never been replicated. He has hardly come close to being the bloke he was then.

On his return to Toro Rosso at the Spanish Grand Prix last year, Kvyat struggled and although he did finish tenth on the day Verstappen won, he only scored points two more times in 16 starts that year.

His teammate was Sainz. By the season’s end in the 17 races the pair were teammates, the Spaniard scored 42 points while Kvyat only racked up four points.

Many expected Red Bull to show Kvyat the door and few would argue that the Russian was given a chance to prove himself but did not do so. He had returned to Toro Rosso a worse driver than he was when he arrived there in his rookie season.

Daniil Kvyat, crash

However it was not to be, despite having young Pierre Gasly eager and willing to step up to the F1 grid, Marko decided to persevere with Kvyat.

Now, 14 races into this season there is nothing to show that the decision to retain Kvyat was a wise one. He has not improved, he is not getting any better and if anything – in a Pastor Maldonado kind of way – Kvyat is deteriorating as a driver at the highest level.

This year he has only scored four points while teammate Sainz, with less F1 experience, has bagged 48 points. This is the biggest percentage difference between all teammates on the grid this year, bar Sauber where Marcus Ericsson has yet to score points.

This simply is not good enough, and we have seen in the history of the Red Bull driver development programme that they have been ruthlessly impatient with their talent. You fail, you out.

But, curiously, with Kvyat the patience Marko has with him is inexplicable. The Russian bends cars, makes silly mistakes, is not improving and simply does not deliver relative to his teammate, yet he remains in a highly coveted seat with Toro Rosso while a host of very talented youngsters are ready to get the call-up from their paymasters.

You could respect, if not agree, with the harsh methods employed by Red Bull with their junior drivers in the past. But in this instance that hard-ass approach has gone out the window. For some reason they have gone soft with regards to Kvyat.

Of course there will be those who will point to the important Russian fizzy drinks market and say that Kvyat is there to sell Red Bull cans in his homeland. But that does not swing with me. Endorsements are understandable, but only when athletes are performing and delivering.

kvyat crash austria toro rosso 7-3-2016 2-11-16 PM

If I were a typical Russian fizzy drinks consumer and faced with a fridge full of energy drinks my thought process would goes something like this: “Red Bull? No way if it makes me like Daniil, I would rather drink a Monster coz that makes me into a winner.”

Remember they had no qualms ditching Scott Speed 10 races into the 2007 season, the massive American soft drinks market was clearly not a consideration then.

An under-performing figure promoting a product hardly inspires a flurry of purchasing. Quite the opposite I would venture.

As the title of this piece says, this is a very curious case and in the wake of yet another DNF, this time at the Singapore Grand Prix, where Kvyat simply lost control of his car (all by himself) and slammed into the wall, while his teammate went on to finish a sensational fourth. Something is wrong here…

Robert Kubica set for Williams test as team considers Pole for 2018 seat

jm1701se178.jpg

Williams will organise a private test for Robert Kubica in the coming weeks in order to analyse whether the Polish driver should be awarded a 2018 seat alongside Lance Stroll.

Kubica looked set to make a comeback with Renault after completing two private runs in a 2012-spec car followed by a day of in-season testing in Hungary, where he and the team admitted a return was viable.

Renault have however chosen to loan Carlos Sainz from Toro Rosso and with Nico Hülkenberg contracted through 2018, Kubica's comeback chance looked to be over.

Williams could now offer the 32-year-old a lifeline as it considers its options for next season, which also include retaining Felipe Massa, whilst reserve driver Paul di Resta is also up for consideration given his strong performance in Hungary when he stood in for an unwell Massa.

Kubica though is thought to be favourite for the seat, but Williams are keen to analyse his performance and speed before committing and are set to organise a private test in a 2014 FW36 in the coming weeks.

Massa, though keen to stay for another season, would likely move to Formula E after recently admitting the series was on his radar.

Force India's 'hedge trimmer' shark fin

jm1715se189.jpg

Formula 1 is set to ban the shark fin engine covers and T-wings from the 2018 regulations but this hasn’t stopped Force India from further developing in both of these areas ahead of the Singapore Grand Prix, which could prove advantageous going into next season if the shark fin ban doesn't go ahead.

In an effort to improve the rear-wing’s capabilities a series of fins have been added along the top of the VJM10’s engine cover and a modified T-wing added to bolster rear-downforce. 

Alongside a larger aerofoil winglet sculpted over the airbox, a large number of tiny fins (32 pairs in total) now line the shark fin to form what I like to call the ‘hedge trimmer’.

These are all angled slightly downwards, each generating a small vortex that, when entwined together, form two elongated torrents of air running either side of the engine cover. The presence of this vortex forces freestream flow along the centreline of the car to dip downwards ahead of the rear-wing to work the leading edge harder. 

Behind the fins Force India have further optimised their tri-plane T-wing to accommodate an impressive six elements. Dividing each plane in two allows for a higher angle of attack as airflow is less likely to separate.

Consequently, each element must withstand higher loads so aluminium supports have been used to brace the elements and prevent the slot gaps from closing.

jm1717se475.jpg

China and Bahrain set to switch places on 2018 calendar

jm1709ap185.jpg

The Chinese and Bahrain Grands Prix will likely switch places on the 2018 calendar, Formula 1 commercial chief Sean Bratches has said.

In June the WMSC confirmed a 21-race schedule with Australia opening the season, followed by China and then Bahrain as back-to-back events, however China, along with Singapore, were both listed as provisional.

With Singapore confirming a new four-year extension to its current deal, its position on the calendar is secure.

However China remains provisional, whilst race promoters are keen to have the date of the race changed in order to avoid a clash with a national holiday.

The Qingming Festival, or Tomb-Sweeping Day, runs from April 5-7, the same week as the Chinese GP and promoters are eager to avoid a clash which could hurt spectator numbers.
Bratches says he is "incredibly optimistic" a new deal can be done, which would include the requested date change.

"We're trying to take into account global events, local events, religious holidays and things to ensure that we're maximising the opportunity for fans to attend the Grands Prix," he told Reuters.

"We're talking to both of them [China and Bahrain] to that end and if we can reach a mutually agreed upon solution, which appears to be on track to happen, you'll probably see that.

"We're incredibly optimistic on bringing that to fruition."

MIKA: Chinese GP.... Zzzzzzzzz

Mexican GP to be 'even more significant' after earthquake

jm1630oc835.jpg

Organisers of the Mexican Grand Prix say this year’s event will be “even more significant” in the wake of two devastating earthquakes to hit the country in recent weeks.

A magnitude 7.1 earthquake struck the country on Tuesday, with the epicentre close to the capital, Mexico City, resulting in the loss of life of over 230 people.

The disaster came a month after an 8.1 magnitude quake struck the south of the country, killing 90 people.

The Mexican Grand Prix will take place at the end of October after two separate inspections were completed, with no damage detected at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, located in Mexico City.

“Our priority at the moment is the recovery of the city,” said Federico Gonzalez, Managing Director of the Mexican Grand Prix.

“We are united with the individuals and families affected by this situation.

“The Mexican spirit of humanity and determination are a force to be reckoned with and it’s heartening to this in action across the city.

“As demonstrated during the two most recent editions of the Mexico Grand Prix, when the Mexican people come together we achieve incredible things.

“At this moment, we are all united and working together making sure we get through this.

“We want to reach out to the international community and seek their support over the coming weeks and months, there are lots of ways people can help.

“We deeply appreciate all the support and affection already demonstrated from all over the world.

“We have been very lucky. We have examined the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez, and we can confirm that the track has suffered no damage and is in optimum condition ahead of the race.”

Force India’s Sergio Pérez has pledged over £100,000 to a relief fund, set up in the aftermath of the earthquake.

Hamilton: No desire to chase Schumacher's seven titles

Hamilton: No desire to chase Schumacher's seven titles

Formula 1 championship leader Lewis Hamilton says he will not specifically target matching Michael Schumacher's current all-time record of seven world championship titles.

Hamilton, aged 32, has three F1 titles to his name and seriously boosted his chances of adding a fourth this year with a crucial win in the Singapore Grand Prix.

The Briton is signed with Mercedes through 2018 only, but has previously said he's keen on extending the deal, and reckons he has "five, six years left in the sport".

However, he has made it clear that his long-term plans in F1 won't be affected by whether or not he has the chance to match or even beat Schumacher's seven titles.

“Honestly, I’m working just step by step. It’s hard enough to get these championships won one at a time; it’s hard enough just to get this fourth one," Hamilton said.

"Currently, it’s quite clear for me. Who knows if we’re going to get anywhere near Michael? Seven championships - I personally don’t have a desire to chase that."

Race winner and 2000 World Champion Michael Schumacher, Ferrari Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes AMG F1 W08, celebrates victory by waving from his cockpit Race winner and 2000 World Champion Michael Schumacher, Ferrari

The Briton did reiterate, however, that he feels he is in his prime and is enjoying F1 "more than ever".

“I’m loving driving more than ever. I feel like I’m driving better than ever. I feel the most whole as a driver that I’ve ever been, which is a great feeling.

“I’m enjoying the challenge - the fact we have a balanced car alongside a Ferrari and sometimes a Red Bull, so it’s great to be able to be challenged by another team and really have to play on your qualities and work on your weaknesses.

“But at the end of every season, you always have a think about your future. I set a good five-year plan, but it gets altered every year as you add another year onto it."

Hamilton recently broke Michael Schumacher’s long-standing record of 68 career pole positions, but needs to win 32 more grands prix to eclipse the seven-time champion’s victory tally of 91.

“The wins feel more exciting to try and chase," said the Briton. "Records are there to be broken, so at some stage someone will break them. Whether it’s me, I can’t tell you.”

Bottas now focused on beating Vettel to runner-up

Bottas now focused on beating Vettel to runner-up

Valtteri Bottas thinks he can now beat Sebastian Vettel to second in the Formula 1 world championship, after slashing the points gap at the Singapore Grand Prix.

Vettel’s title hopes suffered a big blow in Singapore when he crashed out in the wake of a chain reaction incident involving Kimi Raikkonen and Max Verstappen as well.

The retirement has allowed title rival Lewis Hamilton to open up a 28-points advantage in the drivers’ standings, with Bottas now just 23 points further back.

While Bottas acknowledges that beating Hamilton to the title is a bit of a tall order now, he thinks that overhauling Vettel is still on the cards.

"I think that is definitely the next target for me – and, yes, it is possible,” explained Bottas, who finished third in the Singapore GP.

“This was good race for us, for me and Lewis in terms of points. The next couple of races are hopefully good for us.

“But we are not underestimating them [Ferrari]. For sure, they can still have strong weekends. Six races to go, there are still plenty of points to get, so it is a good target for me.”

While Hamilton’s tussle with Vettel will likely take priority for the team as things stand, Bottas still believes that his bosses will do what they can to help him edge out Vettel.

“The hunger to win and to finish strong is so big [at Mercedes] that definitely we want to be 1-2 in the drivers’ championship,” he said. “The priority is to get the constructors, but we want to be 1-2.

“For the team, it is important to win the drivers’ championship. I will just focus on trying to get Sebastian, and I am sure the team is behind me as well.

“I am not thinking too much about the gap to Lewis. It is quite big now but I just need to go race-by-race and close it until the end, if there are still possibilities or not.

“He is having a good run at the moment but I just need to raise my game and then it is quite open.”

FIA tightens rules on F1 jump starts for 2018

FIA tightens rules on F1 jump starts for 2018

The FIA has tightened the rules on jump starts in Formula 1 for 2018 – opening up the possibility for a driver to get a penalty even if the automated detection system isn’t triggered.

What are officially known as false starts came under scrutiny in Austria this year after Valtteri Bottas appeared to move early, but was not penalised.

Rival drivers believed that the Finn could not have reacted so quickly without anticipating the start. 

An important change has been prompted by Sebastian Vettel being out of position on the grid in China, as the German was so far out of his assigned space that his start didn’t register on the FIA system. 

Currently Article 36.13 of the FIA Sporting Regulations says simply: “Either of the penalties under Articles 38.3c) or d) will be imposed for a false start judged using an FIA supplied transponder which must be fitted to the car as specified,” where the penalties referenced are either a drive-through, or 10 second stop-and-go.

From next season the rules will read: “Either of the penalties under Articles 38.3c) or d) will be imposed on any driver who is judged to have: 

“a) Moved before the start signal is given, such judgement being made by an FIA approved and supplied transponder fitted to each car, or; 

“b) Positioned his car on the starting grid in such a way that the transponder is unable to detect the moment at which the car first moved from its grid position after the start signal is given.”

In other words, the onus is now on drivers to position their cars accurately on the grid, or they face being penalised for a false start.

Honda will only harm Toro Rosso, says 1997 F1 champion Villeneuve

fbce971616491876322d9e52309f7e9e.jpg

The Toro Rosso Formula 1 team could pay the price in the near future for taking Honda engines, says 1997 world champion Jacques Villeneuve.

With Honda having split from McLaren, Toro Rosso will become its works team in a three-year deal from 2018.

While McLaren received in the region of $100million per year from Honda as part of their arrangement, Autosport understands Toro Rosso will not receive the same cash injection.

Honda will provide free engines, therefore providing a net financial gain for the Red Bull junior outfit.

But Villeneuve - who was part of a works Honda programme with BAR from 2000-03 - argued even free engines would not make up for the problems Toro Rosso might have, given McLaren's experience since 2015.

"I don't understand Toro Rosso," said Villeneuve when asked by Autosport for his reaction to the deal.

"They have seen what has been happening for three years. How can they imagine this will help them?

"OK, there is more money in the account, but to run last?

"Whenever you go and take money to go slower, after two years you pay the price.

"It's like when teams start taking slow pay drivers. Two years later, they are dead.

"You have to be careful. McLaren survived it because it's McLaren. Now we're talking Toro Rosso.

"It's a big gamble, unless someone else makes the engine and Honda puts its name on it, which is possible I guess."

bb6be1019a56a43d205086d8e2a85fa2.jpg

Honda is believed to have no intention of getting a rival manufacturer to build an engine that it can badge and is fully focused on developing its own 2018-spec unit that will be an evolution of the current design.

Unreliability and a lack of performance across the three years it worked with McLaren were the core reasons for the partnership being dissolved.

Honda is hopeful for an upturn in performance in 2018, having made gains this year.

But when Villeneuve was asked if he felt Honda could turn things around, he said: "Why? Have we seen anything to suggest they can?

"They need a new engine. The whole project was started wrong.

"It needs to be a full change. If you take a small team like Toro Rosso, it makes it even more difficult."

51 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

FORMULA 1 CRANKING UP THE VOLUME FOR TV

F1GrandPrixofGreatBritainRZXHtGdoqjsx.jpg

Formula 1 is working on a microphone that can be attached to a car’s exhaust system to make the sport louder and more ‘visceral’ for television viewers.

Engine noise has been a talking point since the quieter, more fuel-efficient 1.6 litre V6 turbo hybrid power units were introduced in 2014 in place of the raspier and less sophisticated V8 engines.

Formula One’s commercial managing director Sean Bratches said more needed to be done for the worldwide audience.

“One of the things that we want to amplify going forward are the sounds of the sport, because they are viscerally moving to fans and critically important in all the research that we do,” he told Reuters.

Bratches said Australian producer David Hill, a man with a stellar reputation in sports television and broadcast innovation, was involved in that.

“He’s working with a German concern to develop a ceramic microphone that we can actually adhere to the exhaust pipe to get the true amplification of sound for fans,” he said, as one example.

Older generations of Formula One fans still mourn the passing of the ear-splitting V10 and V12s, although the V10 wail has returned to the racetrack through the introduction of a two-seater programme run by former Minardi team boss Paul Stoddart.

Formula 1 has witnessed a quiet revolution following the takeover of U.S.-owned Liberty Media in January with fresh camera angles, apertures and positioning to create more of a sense of speed.

Previously, there was as much of a focus on ensuring track advertising was prominent as on getting the most exciting angles.

Hill, a former boss of the Rupert Murdoch-owned Fox Sports, has attended several races and is a long-time associate of Formula One chairman and former Fox Broadcasting chief executive Chase Carey.

Formula One insiders said the Australian had been working with F1 broadcast operations at Biggin Hill airfield in southern England.

A trumpet-like ‘megaphone’ exhaust was tested by teams in 2014 to try to boost noise levels but the experiment was deemed a failure.

Formula One faces a decision on what kind of engines to use from 2021, with some calling for a return to simpler, cheaper and louder ones that would allow new manufacturers to come in. Others want to develop the greener technology.

Jean Todt, president of the governing FIA, said in March that any attempt by Formula One to turn back the clock would be unacceptable to society.

MIKA: Jean Todt is a joke and I'm pretty much at the end of my interest in F1 if this keeps on going. 

This sums up how I feel about F1 at the moment 

Nothing better than hearing F1 engine noise when I first saw them in Indy....one of those eye opening experiences that one must enjoy in person, not that crap these days but any way to make them louder now is a positive step, part of the history of the sport

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Bartolomeo said:

Nothing better than hearing F1 engine noise when I first saw them in Indy....one of those eye opening experiences that one must enjoy in person, not that crap these days but any way to make them louder now is a positive step, part of the history of the sport

I'm all for louder Formula 1, I remember when the Australian GP was in Adelaide, nothing beats the sound of a real engine.

I remember the hairs on my neck standing and my eyes watering from the sound of the V10's. Even with ear plugs, it was clear as day. 

• Like 1

When I was growing up my dad would take me to the dirt track races.  The little cars with the big ass tired sound better than the current F1 cars.  Hell, the old beaters the guys raced sound better. 

Last year my brother and I went to an Indy Race (IA Corn 300) and the US Grand Prix.  The F1 cars are just sad sounding.  Going again to the F1 race next month but going to FP1 and FP2

• Like 2