Shelving For Australia Wine Cooler

Lucifer Morningstar

On ‎29‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:26 AM, bb360 said:

wow you have a lot of stock there , the shelves look like they are going to buckle.

I just ordered my shelves from Forrest aswell , I like some shelves  so I can organise limitada regionals and brands seperate , and a couple of draws only because I tend to buy mulitple boxes in the brands that I love to smoke , so I keep them as singles in the draws. Oh yeah and another small draw on top aswell so when your friends come they only open the top draw ( sharing draw)

What kind of thermo electric wine cooler did you get ? Looks kind of like the one I have .

Prima 72 bottle thermo electric

Pretty sure its a model that is rebadged a lot and sold by a number of suppliers

The oldest of the trio has been running for almost 6 years and is yet to miss a beat

The issue I did have is plugging the drain hole. The high humidity half of the year here meant I had so much condensation pool in the bottom of the fridge that the internal RH skyrocketed and the tray I had beads in filled with water, causing the beads to go mouldy

Wasn't the end of the world and only one or 2 sticks (out of about 800) went mouldy beyond salvage
I unplugged the drain hole and reinstalled the external water tray that came with the unit.
Has worked well ever since (5.5 years). Stable temp and no more than a 3% RH fluctuation at anytime. They've all settled at between 62% and 68% depending on the ambient temp and where in the fridge you measure the RH at. Lower in the fridge, higher the RH gets so all my NCs stay in the bottom draws.

The fridges with shelves have less fluctuation between bottom and top as they have better circulation. Typically 65% low and 62% high

Not a perfect system but its served me well. I'd love to consolidate the 3 fridges into a big daddy Aristocrat humidor but until someone tells me how to get one shipped down under for less than $3000, i'll be sticking with what I have

13 hours ago, bb360 said:

I currently made a mould waiting on mouldable plastics beads , I should receive this week to make custom container , If that doesn't work I just put a long stocking  filled with heartfelt beads that will do the trick.

I would do the same (heartfelt) but if they get too much water they become mouldy.
I'll be monitoring the RH for a couple of weeks or more before adding cigars.

Plastic smell is mostly gone. Took 2 washes with Sunlight soap, several days airing, 2 loads of newspaper stuffing and 1 wash of baking soda.
Also added activated charcoal for the hell of it.

Much harder than anticipated!

On ‎30‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 8:59 PM, bb360 said:

Do you have any electric humidification system at the moment in your unit ?

Nope

Fitted some 12v PC fans in the bottom of the fridge and have a ton of beads in the bottom and scattered at different levels throughout the fridge

Don't know the exact weight but its a lot
Probably way more than I need but the RH is rock solid and means I have the piece of mind to be able to fly away from home for work for a week (or 4) and not have to stress about RH drop while I'm away

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Where in oz are you?

I got the cedar from a sydney supplier and the shelves/trays made them myself over a weekend. Only basic woodworking skills required and if you have a small router and a table saw, then you are more than halfway there