Anyone use a Tupperdor?

PHL425

Im looking to broaden my collection of cigars and do not want to keep buying expensive wooden humidors. Ive been doing some research and for bulk storage ive been seeing people use these "Tupperdors" a gasketed tupperware container with boveda packs and spainish cedar trays. Any of yall use these for long term storage/aging? Also Ive been looking at winedors. Can any of yall steer me to a good winedor setup and pros and cons?

Thanks, Palmer

Same here.  Been using Tupperdors for years.  Need something bigger, get a Coleman cooler with a nice seal and viola.  Sweet, simple, effective and much less maintenance in dry Western Canada.  Spend the money on cigars.

I have about 12 smaller tupperdors each holding about 25 - 30 cigars, plus a large tupperdor with all of my non CCs (about 150).  I keep the non CCs separate at a slightly higher RH.  I like having the separate boxes so I can more easily find what I'm looking for.  The bovedas I use seem to last forever without having to recharge. A couple of  years at least. And as Baldy says, more money left over for cigars. 

• Like 1

I use them for overflow when my humidors are full

Currently running 10 or 12 with boveda packs
Provided you clean them to get the plastic smell out of them, they work fine

I've even got some custom rolls wrapped up in high grade ziplok bags with boveda packs
That works too in a pinch

Have used mine since the 80's,still working just fine.

I use slide top boxes for easy storage, and the cigars seem to age more gracefully.

I have room for 225 to 250 cigars in one of these.

• Like 1

A Tupperdor is fine. I used it to start off with and it worked great! Bryan Glenn (Cigar Obsession) has done a video recently on them. If your looking at wineadors you can certainly pick some up for cheap online. They seem to be the best choice. I know Vintec is a great brand to use for cigars.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, awkwardPause said:

46 qt. Weathertight container from the Container Store. Costs ~ $15 and stores plenty of boxes considering the price. I use a Boveda 62% 320 gram and it stays about 63-65% which is what I like. Good luck!

a5e96b0a813ae055b807111322c89194.jpg

dcbdc14e57da24039eac7a314d32b359.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I use containers just like this but sold as Ziploc WeatherSheild Storage Boxes.  They come in a variety of sizes, and they stack nicely for easy storage in a closet.  

• Like 1

One more Tupperdore user here :cigar:  Season them right (to get rid of the plastic smell) and get it bigger than you think and you'll be glad you did.  With a good seal the Bovedas last forever.

Big caveat: They need to go somewhere in your home with stable temps.  Tuperdores can keep your moisture locked in, but they don't do anything for temperature stabilization and a fluctuating ambient temperature will mess with the rH inside the Tuperdore if that temperature is fluctuating faster than the Boveda can keep up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a 72 qt weathertight container and it has been working well with Boveda's. I second the taking a few days to get out the plastic smell as mentioned above. As long as your ambient stays relatively consistent (e.g. you have AC and heat) they should work well.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 23/01/2017 at 4:52 AM, PapaDisco said:

One more Tupperdore user here :cigar:  Season them right (to get rid of the plastic smell) and get it bigger than you think and you'll be glad you did.  With a good seal the Bovedas last forever.

Big caveat: They need to go somewhere in your home with stable temps.  Tuperdores can keep your moisture locked in, but they don't do anything for temperature stabilization and a fluctuating ambient temperature will mess with the rH inside the Tuperdore if that temperature is fluctuating faster than the Boveda can keep up.

This is a good point.

I also use tupperwares for storing my cigars.  I only trust 'Lock & Lock' which I find have an amazingly tight and reliable seal.  As people have mentioned, Bovedas will last a very long time (years) and can still be recharged.  This is because the seal is better than any wooden humidor.  There is also no variation caused by the mass of wood that a humidor is made from.  No seasoning is required!  Plus, you can sort your boxes into separate tupperwares, which I often find useful..

Anyway, back to the main point.  The way I combat the problem of temperatures that change 'faster than the Bovedas can handle', is by using a lot of Bovedas.  The largest tupperwares I use only hold about 6-7 boxes.  In with those boxes I use around 8-10 Bovedas.  This may seem like 'over kill', but by using more Bovedas, temperature changes, and humidity changes (when you open the tupperware for example) are remedied much faster.  Under these conditions, each Boveda pack is hardly doing any work at all.  Remember, you only pay for these once, and they will last......well, perhaps a lifetime!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/20/2017 at 4:12 AM, awkwardPause said:

46 qt. Weathertight container from the Container Store. Costs ~ $15 and stores plenty of boxes considering the price. I use a Boveda 62% 320 gram and it stays about 63-65% which is what I like. Good luck!

a5e96b0a813ae055b807111322c89194.jpg

dcbdc14e57da24039eac7a314d32b359.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have the same series WeatherTight container from the container store, just shallower.  One 65 Boveda has been holding steady rh for months now on about 100 sticks and still feels fresh.

• Like 2

I'm using a medium size cooler right now and it has helped to keep the chill of winter off my cigars. I'll probably have to add a lock in a few years so the kids don't raid my stash. Luca is right Bryan Glenn has a easy to follow vid on YouTube. Basically hot water and original Dawn dish soap until the plastic cooler stink is gone. I washed mine 3X and then it was good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Until I can get a humidor that can handle + / - 300  to 400 stoogies.

Tuppers work great!

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Auspaul said:

Is the 62% Boveda the preferred one to use for Cuban cigars  

Yes, the closer to 60% rh the better for Cuban cigars in my opinion. If you are storing long-term, you may find some prefer a 65% rh Boveda pack option, which is what I do.

• Like 2

I use a tupperdor for a separate stash of flavor infused cigars.  They're not my cup of tea but I like to have some to offer to people when they visit, and I always take a few to the beach every year for family members.  I really like the fact that I can see thorough them to monitor the humidor.  I burp them once a week to circulate air through them since I'm not in them often.