Sparkling Shiraz Recommendation

alozano87

Hey guys/gals, in many of the reviews that I have seen with Ken and Prez, they have been drinking sparkling Shiraz. I've done some searching and was wondering if there were any specific recommendations for a good bottle? I picked up a bottle of Chook, haven't tried it yet though. 

My recommendations: Seppelt Sparkling Shiraz (either the "Original", "Silverband" or "Show", all are good), Bests Great Western Sparkling Shiraz, Fox Creek Vixen Sparkling Red, Majella Sparkling Shiraz, Teusner MC Sparkling Shiraz.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

My recommendations: Seppelt Sparkling Shiraz (either the "Original", "Silverband" or "Show", all are good), Bests Great Western Sparkling Shiraz, Fox Creek Vixen Sparkling Red, Majella Sparkling Shiraz, Teusner MC Sparkling Shiraz.

Wow Fuzz! That is quite a list! Appreciate it, have you heard of the Chook I wonder if it's any good

1 hour ago, alozano87 said:

Wow Fuzz! That is quite a list! Appreciate it, have you heard of the Chook I wonder if it's any good

The Black Chook Sparkling Shiraz? Yes, I have. A very good sparkling shiraz, not overly sweet like most others in the price range.

• Like 1

charlie melton's is very good. primo estate stellar. the seppelt show original also. king of them all is the rockford.

fuzz, you'd be amazed at the level of sweetness in almost all of them. the better examples balance is with good acidity to give the impression of far less sweetness than there actually is.

• Like 3

whoops not that much sparkling red on the market.  best sparkling shiraz in my mind this moment,  MC is good.  The black chook is fine . but don't try the sparkling shiraz pinot , bad :rolleyes:.  they get some high ends sparkling like McLaren Vale , or Leasingham from clare valley. 

Australia sparkling get 3 different level tiers. most of them spend 9 months maturing on lees or traditional method. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, kinglingcheng said:

whoops not that much sparkling red on the market.  best sparkling shiraz in my mind this moment,  MC is good.  The black chook is fine . but don't try the sparkling shiraz pinot , bad :rolleyes:.  they get some high ends sparkling like McLaren Vale , or Leasingham from clare valley. 

Australia sparkling get 3 different level tiers. most of them spend 9 months maturing on lees or traditional method. 

out of curiosity, can i ask what you mean by three different levels?

54 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

charlie melton's is very good. primo estate stellar. the seppelt show original also. king of them all is the rockford.

fuzz, you'd be amazed at the level of sweetness in almost all of them. the better examples balance is with good acidity to give the impression of far less sweetness than there actually is.

Never had the Rockford. Will have to keep an eye out for it and grab a bottle or two to try.

Agree about the sweetness. What I meant to say was, I find the Black Chook not as sweet as others. It's still sweet, but well balanced so you don't notice it as much.Not like Brown Brothers Dolcetto & Syrah, which is ridiculously sweet, in my opinion.

Haven't had either for a few years but used to really like Peter Lehman's Black Queen and Hollick sparkling merlot.

If you get through the other suggestions try these, though I believe the black queen is getting hard to find and appreciating in value.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Onelove said:

Haven't had either for a few years but used to really like Peter Lehman's Black Queen and Hollick sparkling merlot.

If you get through the other suggestions try these, though I believe the black queen is getting hard to find and appreciating in value.

black queen is always a good choice.

you should not have any problem tracking it down - freely available on their website for about $40.

not many spurgles appreciate much (sadly). rockford never goes backwards but the one that did skyrocket was the old seppelt show from the 40s and 60s. they cost a bomb these days.

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

black queen is always a good choice.

you should not have any problem tracking it down - freely available on their website for about $40.

not many spurgles appreciate much (sadly). rockford never goes backwards but the one that did skyrocket was the old seppelt show from the 40s and 60s. they cost a bomb these days.

Thanks Ken, I've only been looking for ones with 10+ years on them but I took your advice and looked up the newer ones on their website. Might look at buying a case or two.