Glue Removal Question

zeedubbya

I was recently given a Whytner 251.  It has a small ding in the door but it's functional still.  Going to use it for overflow storage. Unplugged with just beads for now.  I seasoned it all up and it was holding 65 for 2 weeks.  Got ready to put some sticks in it and I noticed a slight chemical smell.  Took all the drawers and shelves out and noticed the back wall of it has what appears to be a fairly large splatterling of glue on it.  I need some suggestions on how to remedy this.  Was thinking some goo gone and a good baking soda scrub.  Maybe stuff some newspapers in it?  Any suggestions appreciated.  Glad I noticed this before I put cigars in it.  Thank you.  

Zany, most of these cooler have a polystyrene or ABS interior. You can look inside and see if there is a recycle symbol and what it says.

This means Xylene, MEK, acetone are OUT... Depending on the product you may be able to get aways with a pure isopropyl alcohol product, but you had better test it in a small spot first.

You can also try some of these citric acid products if they are labeled safe for plastics. The GooGone, forget it, it is filled with serious solvents. Denatured alcohol, will probably harm it as well.

Go to the lot bodyshop and ask the guys if they have a plastic safe 'bug/tar or adhesive remover.'

Good luck! -R

2 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Do you know what kind of glue it is? Is it tacky?

Try a mixture of 2 parts baking soda and 1 part coconut oil (unscented). Rub on with fingers until the glue is gone, then clean with warm soapy water.

Thanks for the advice Fuzz I'll see if that works I believe I have both those items on hand.  It's tacky.  For some unknown reason it looks like somebody tried to glue the hygrometer to one of the drawers and something went horribly wrong.  The thing is new, and I noticed when I brought it home there was some sort of substance on the glass.  It scraped off with just some elbow grease and a razor blade.  The tacky stuff on the back wall is likely the same stuff but it doesn't come off like it did on the glass.  I'll give this a go and if it doesn't work I will explore this--

9 hours ago, PigFish said:

Zany, most of these cooler have a polystyrene or ABS interior. You can look inside and see if there is a recycle symbol and what it says.

This means Xylene, MEK, acetone are OUT... Depending on the product you may be able to get aways with a pure isopropyl alcohol product, but you had better test it in a small spot first.

You can also try some of these citric acid products if they are labeled safe for plastics. The GooGone, forget it, it is filled with serious solvents. Denatured alcohol, will probably harm it as well.

Go to the lot bodyshop and ask the guys if they have a plastic safe 'bug/tar or adhesive remover.'

Good luck! -R

Ray, thanks as always.  I'll ask the guys on Saturday.  I know they have something like you're talking about.  I would have just emailed you but I figured I've bothered you enough here lately.  !!