Starting a Coolerdor

PHL425

Well it's happened I ran out of room in my tupperdor... I haven't been able to stop buying cigars ever since joining the forum lol. Now I'm looking for bigger and better to start aging my and storing long term. I want to start a coolerdor. I was wondering what everyone was using in terms of type of cooler, humidifier, extra cedar planks, fans, etc... any pictures would be great as well. Thanks in advance.

Palmer 

I bought a 120qt cooler from Walmart for $54 and wished I would have bought 3-4 more before I bought my cabinet, and the headache/heartbreak it caused (it's fine now), cooler is the way to go.

I have a pound of beads in and various boveda packs thrown about (no real order in there), and it stays steady at 65% year round, I've had it going on two years now, will try to get some pics tomorrow for you.....ah **** it here ya go

ba545dff9f0754ac0693556c1661c425.jpg

0476f93c0981a5510b07b2be9b7bbd38.jpg

• Like 3

Looks aweosme I wish mine was that full... how many different trays do you have in there and do you have other planks of Cedar and a fan?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/18/2017 at 9:20 AM, PHL425 said:

Looks aweosme I wish mine was that full... how many different trays do you have in there and do you have other planks of Cedar and a fan?

Hi all

I have a similar question to PHL425. I am looking to start a coolidor for new boxes.

I'm planning to start with a cooler big enough for 6 boxes and some 65% boveda. I would value any guidance on whether I need to use a fan or if opening the cooler weekly will be enough to keep the air movong.

Also are spanish cedar drawers / cladding needed or is the cedar in the cigar boxes enough?

Some people go all out and put fans in there cooladors.  I don't.  If you are going to do 6 boxes I would start with ziploc weathershield containers.  You can get them on amazon.  They make a great tupperdor.  A couple large boveda should do the trick.  I have both tupperdors and cooladors and prefer the tupperdors I think.  I am not sure, they both serve their purpose.  

No, you don't need spanish cedar.  The boxes should take care of that.  If you add spanish cedar that is good, but not necessary.

If you have time, let whatever you use air out open for a few days.  Some people say out in the direct sunlight will remove chemical smells if they occur.  A slight new plastic smell isn't a problem.  If it is intense, then you should probably not put your smokes in right away.  The cooler pictured above and the ziploc containers don't usually have a strong chemical smell when new.

Either purchase several of the ziplocs or purchase a cooler you thing is way too big.  They fill up fast.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry I left you hanging bro, I have 3 trays on top Judy to house my ccs. No fan, just 2 lbs of beads.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with everything said above.  Assuming the temperatures are modest where you will keep the coolidor, they are the best route to go.  I gave up my aristocrat some time ago in lieu of collidors, they are just rock solid and require little maintenance.  I would not worry about fans.  I would also consider going a little bit bigger, at least 100 qt.  The cost is marginally more, and you will likely grow into it.  

I rock a 50 can igloo cooler.  All my cigars are in old cedar boxes stacked on top of each other, I have two 65% bovedas and a pouch of 65% beads.  One boveda with beads would suffice but I like to be able to take one with me when I travel.  Basement is 67 degrees year round.

Coolidor has been way to go for me so far-deffinetly agree though...go bigger than you think you need...im on my 3rd cooler now,just moved up to 70qt.  Probably will have to go bigger soon.  One pound of heartfelt 70% beads keeps at 69% constantly.  Might even get different beads holds so well,I thought it would be harder to keep rh where I live...i welcome all help and input also! Reading thru all these helps alot

I used to run 3 coolers. In the end I just went with an  aristocrat without the temp control. Looking back I wish I got the temp control. I now use a window A/C unit to keep it all cool. I still use coolers when I work in foreign places and think they are great for the purpose with little maintenance.   

• 5 weeks later...
7 hours ago, smfdff said:

Is there a calculation to figure out how much boveda is needed? Or is it trial and error.

I'm sure that you could come up with a calculation; on the other hand, making sure you have accounted for the variables that make the result accurate, would be the challenge.

Trial & error is fine, whatever works for you, everyone's conditions will be just a little different.

10 hours ago, smfdff said:

Is there a calculation to figure out how much boveda is needed? Or is it trial and error.

I would go to boveda or look on YouTube...cant have too many though,the more you have the better/longer they will stay and faster you're coolidor will recover after gets opened.

• Like 1

Im a newbie too, but from my research...80 is used for humidor seasoning... it's all personal preference after that...i started at 70,thinking i might go to 65...all on your taste and smokes...you will need to do some experimenting.  I personally use heartfelt beads,they work great for me love them.  Just make sure the humidifier system you use is a two way, and you'd rather have too much than not enough... 

On 5/2/2017 at 11:12 PM, Ginseng said:

Yup.

Wilkey.  I admire your dedication to uniformity. :)  And I spy some Godzilla flicks.  Coolers full of Cubans and a love of Godzilla = good taste. :ok:  What did you think of Shin Godzilla?

• Like 1

On 6/23/2017 at 9:18 AM, bundwallah said:

Wilkey.  I admire your dedication to uniformity. :)  And I spy some Godzilla flicks.  Coolers full of Cubans and a love of Godzilla = good taste. :ok:  What did you think of Shin Godzilla?

Have not seen Shin Godzilla yet. But...we're traveling to Tokyo this summer and will be staying at the Hotel Gracery Shinjuku where the red carpet for the movie premier was laid. Cool!

Wilkey

On 6/23/2017 at 1:29 PM, smfdff said:

Great information. My box's arrived today! 3 week's earlier than expected. :o

Line your coolerdor bottom with as many 320g packs that will fit, then get a few of the 320g pack mounting kits and do the same on the sides of the coolerdor. The system will react reasonably quickly to opening and closing of the cooler and stay stable for years. Best to keep it in a room that is temp controlled. 

What are you referencing when you state "320g"  ?

You can now buy Boveda humidity control packs in a 320 gram size.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk