Real or Not

stunod

A friend of mine gifted me a Cohiba   LE 2003. Pretty nice right. Pictured next to it is a Monte Sublime I bought in London a few years back. If you notice the LE band on the Cohiba is not the same color as the Monte. As a matter of fact all my LE's have the same color band as the Monte. 

Is the Cohiba real?

IMG_6168.JPG

• Like 1

It does appear that both bands are questionable. The Cohiba based on the "Habana, Cuba" typography as pointed out, and the EL band based on the lettering and finish. My genuine 2003 EL band has flat lettering with fatter, flatter matte font, however it looks like the background color is darker than the 2008 band as is the fake. The only difference between my 03 and the OP's 03 is the font, not the color. 

IMAG0712.jpg

IMAG0710.jpg

• Like 1

:no:  That Cohiba's pretty sorry looking, dude

I agree that this appears to be a fake.  However it raises another question; Cohiba used two bands in 03 one with two rows of white dots above Cohiba with La Habana, Cuba below and one with three dots above the name and not using "La" in front Habana, Cuba.  Does anyone know which band the actual 03 EL used? 

12 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

I agree that this appears to be a fake.  However it raises another question; Cohiba used two bands in 03 one with two rows of white dots above Cohiba with La Habana, Cuba below and one with three dots above the name and not using "La" in front Habana, Cuba.  Does anyone know which band the actual 03 EL used? 

According to CCW (source of JoeyGunz's pic), the 2003 CDC EL utilized the 2003-2014 band:

On 2/17/2017 at 6:46 AM, JoeyGunz said:

Cohiba_Double_Coronas_cigar_full.jpg

In fact, that band may have even debuted on the CDC as ELs weren't released as late in the year (or even the following year) as they unfortunately are these days. So at least the counterfeiters had the sense to use the correct design as it would have been far easier to simply use old (but genuine) 1993-2003 bands.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...