Best Meat Thermometer for Smoking (and where to get it)

polarbear

After getting a smoker for Christmas I've spent the last few months trying to perfect my Brisket and Pulled Pork
The "Cheapie" meat thermometer I bought shortly after worked well for the first smoked but packed it in shortly after, as I'm planning a big smoke up next month I need to replace it before throwing some brisket and pork butt in the box for 8-10 hours  

What are all you "pit masters" using?

17 hours ago, polarbear said:

After getting a smoker for Christmas I've spent the last few months trying to perfect my Brisket and Pulled Pork
The "Cheapie" meat thermometer I bought shortly after worked well for the first smoked but packed it in shortly after, as I'm planning a big smoke up next month I need to replace it before throwing some brisket and pork butt in the box for 8-10 hours  

What are all you "pit masters" using?

Have a look at the ThermaPen Mk.4.  They aren't cheap, but they are truly exceptional.  As far as temperature measurements go, there is nothing faster or more accurate for the home cook.  The Mk.4 has a number of improvements over the classic.  In addition to an auto-rotating display and automatic back-light, the probe is easier to unfold without nails.  They hit the nail on the head with this one.      

• Like 1

Have a look at the ThermaPen Mk.4.  They aren't cheap, but they are truly exceptional.  As far as temperature measurements go, there is nothing faster or more accurate for the home cook.  The Mk.4 has a number of improvements over the classic.  In addition to an auto-rotating display and automatic back-light, the probe is easier to unfold without nails.  They hit the nail on the head with this one.      

This ^^^^^ Thermapen probes are the best I've ever used. Quick, accurate and reliable.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

The Thermapen style doesn't allow constant monitoring of a closed smoker or BBQ. You need a remote probe for that.

His original post didn't mention constant and remote monitoring. But if he does in fact need constant monitoring of a closed smoker, ThermoWorks (who makes the ThermaPens) also makes a dual channel unit with a 300 ft wireless remote and two probes that monitor both meat and smoker temperatures -- it is their "Smoke" model. Also the best unit in that category I have used.

ThermoWorks just makes good stuff, IMO. It costs a bit more. But they have outlasted and been more reliable than the other brands I have used and went through in the past.

2 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

The Thermapen style doesn't allow constant monitoring of a closed smoker or BBQ. You need a remote probe for that.

Thanks Lotus
I should have mentioned I needed something for constant monitoring

2 hours ago, PlatypusMaximus said:

His original post didn't mention constant and remote monitoring. But if he does in fact need constant monitoring of a closed smoker, ThermoWorks (who makes the ThermaPens) also makes a dual channel unit with a 300 ft wireless remote and two probes that monitor both meat and smoker temperatures -- it is their "Smoke" model. Also the best unit in that category I have used.

ThermoWorks just makes good stuff, IMO. It costs a bit more. But they have outlasted and been more reliable than the other brands I have used and went through in the past.

Platypus, does the ThermoWorks Smoke allow you too use both probes to monitor different meats at the same time or is one probe only for meat and the other only for grill temp?
I looked at the Smoke but there are occasions where I'll do a Brisket and a Pork Butt at the same time so the ability to use one probe for each would be nice. Grill temp monitoring isn't super important to me as the first thing I did after getting the smoker was to install a Tru-Tell 3inch Dial Thermometer in the door

I've been lucky with my igrill but since weber bought them it seems harder to find them in Aus.

You can keep track of up to four pieces of meat or three and the ambient temp inside the grill, haven't had any issues with Bluetooth dropping out or sensor malfunctions. 

Might be worth pming el pres too PB, as he seems to nail his briskets in his smoker and mentioned using these kind of devices. 

Edit: just to clarify, did not mean el pres uses igrill, just that he referred to a temp probe, etc..

Platypus, does the ThermoWorks Smoke allow you too use both probes to monitor different meats at the same time or is one probe only for meat and the other only for grill temp?
I looked at the Smoke but there are occasions where I'll do a Brisket and a Pork Butt at the same time so the ability to use one probe for each would be nice. Grill temp monitoring isn't super important to me as the first thing I did after getting the smoker was to install a Tru-Tell 3inch Dial Thermometer in the door

The Smoke model comes with (1) meat probe and (1) probe w/grate clip to monitor internal smoker temperatures. However, you could pick up a second meat probe and use that instead of the internal air temperature probe. They make several types of probes that can all be used interchangeably.

Most of all, I love having the ability to monitor my pit from inside the house with the receiver -- which I either put in my pocket or hang around my neck. So nice during the winters here in the mountains of Utah!

There are other good products out there -- e.g. Maverick has been mentioned. However, for me, ThermoWorks products have been the most accurate and durable products I have used. Just my 2 cents .....

I use the Maverick ET-733 and love it! Works well, accurate and I like having the remote monitor. I also use a Thermapen, best temp probe I own, great for doneness checks on the BBQ but use it mainly for grilling and inside cooking.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-03-25 at 10:27 PM, Mattb82 said:

Thermapen. Hands down 

For steaks - yes. The op asked about monitoring brisket for 10 hours - can't do that with a thermapen. If you can you've got talent ?

12 hours ago, mcease022 said:

For steaks - yes. The op asked about monitoring brisket for 10 hours - can't do that with a thermapen. If you can you've got talent ?

I didn't see anywhere in the original post where it said continual monitoring. Probe tender is the true measure and you can absolutely use a thermapen for that as well as a quick temp check when you think your getting close 

3 hours ago, Mattb82 said:

I didn't see anywhere in the original post where it said continual monitoring. Probe tender is the true measure and you can absolutely use a thermapen for that as well as a quick temp check when you think your getting close 

You could probably do that but checking every so often you would be interrupting the smoking process and mess with your smoker temp. Also you wouldn't know what your grill/smoker temp  is since built in thermometers are usually highly inaccurate. I don't think you would find anybody in competition smoking continually checking with a thermapen.  Any competition folks I've met use either the maverick or igrill to monitor both smoker temp and meat temp and they may check with a thermapen when it comes off just to be super sure of accuracy. 

18 minutes ago, mcease022 said:

You could probably do that but checking every so often you would be interrupting the smoking process and mess with your smoker temp. Also you wouldn't know what your grill/smoker temp  is since built in thermometers are usually highly inaccurate. I don't think you would find anybody in competition smoking continually checking with a thermapen.  Any competition folks I've met use either the maverick or igrill to monitor both smoker temp and meat temp and they may check with a thermapen when it comes off just to be super sure of accuracy. 

My thermometers are dead on accurate. I doubt people even need to check temp for the first 6 hours but to each their own. Comp cooking can't even be compared to back yard smoking 

IMG_1469.PNG

IMG_1473.PNG

• Like 1

He clarified in a later post that's what he was trying to achieve.

1 minute ago, Mattb82 said:

My thermometers are dead on accurate. I doubt people even need to check temp for the first 6 hours but to each their own. Comp cooking can't even be compared to back yard smoking 

IMG_1469.PNG

IMG_1473.PNG

Nice setup.  Nicely done too!! ?

• 3 weeks later...