Blind Tasting Results for Cigar Number One and Revealing Cigar Number One

I'm psyched to be a part of another blind tasting comp but I'm never good at discerning tastes- I'm usually stunned when I can taste what is described and am immediately suspicious- and my instincts are mostly built around previous smoking experiences.  

That being said whatever this cigar turns out to be I'll be buying a box to age.  This particular stick I was given showed legs and I got a good helping of back-of-the-throat heat which is always a good sign in a young Cuban cigar.  Good construction, oily dark wrapper showing the "nutrient bumps" in the grey flaked ash and my stick even had the cap "dimple" on the head which is what I always assume is the calling card of an experienced roller.  I have no clue what it is but I will get more.

Good luck everybody!

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi everyone By now you should have received your Blind Tasting pack as they were shipped out a couple of weeks ago (if you haven't don't panic you have heaps of time  ) For those who have sm

I'll be busy with work over the next few weeks so I decided to light up Blind Tasting cigar No. 1 this weekend. The cigar has a nice looking wrapper. Clip the cap, nice draw as well. Picking

What a lovely night in Texas to smoke a cigar. Obviously, I've got my Shiner (at least a version of it) and Topo Chico ready to go. After a quick cut and cold draw, there are hints of grass, toasted t

:clap:Well Done. 26 of you picked the cigar. Our highest pick rate since the beginning of our Blind Tasting Comps :thumbsup:

I was really happy to see so many of you enjoy this cigar so much. It is a staple of mine. A cigar that has come back with a vengeance in terms of quality and flavour since about mid 13. 

It is also a Corona Gorda which is my preferred vitola. So much flavour and they will age beautifully. 

Let me introduce to to the  Punch Punch UTE OCT 15.  It is a cigar that constantly out performs cigars at a much higher price point. 

Congrats again to all contestants. Thank you to Lisa for all her hard work in running this competition. From rebanding all the cigars to prepping for the comp to management of the result.....great Job :spotlight:

We will have up a thread for Cigar Number 2 in a few days. 

BLIND TASTING COMP 2017 CIGAR ONE RESULTS .pdf

Hey! What do you know, man that was a good smoke. I can see that if it has time down it would be great. I will be getting a 50 of these should they appear again. For having never smoked one I was glad that I chose correctly.

For the record, some of the pics of the unlit cigars submitted by the members were great. Man those sticks had some red oily sheen.

I'd like to blame the lack of a search function on CCW but I'm quite familiar with Punch Punch so I should have gotten this one.

yayyyyyyy....got this one right.  I haven't smoked a punch in ages, but recognized that punch essence.   Loved the cigar enough to buy the cab on the 24 yesterday.  

Note:  I tried everything I could to  bribe Lisa in giving me some insider info on this cigar.   Complimented her on her beauty, offered to fly her out to Vegas for the weekend, even sent her flowers (ok, not actual flowers...that would have been to obvious to her coworkers) and she didn't budge a bit.  Kudos to her  :D

• Like 2

Wow!  Funny because when I first saw the cigar I thought it was a Punch Punch for sure.

Then when I smoked it I was convinced it I was an SLR Serie A: my cigar delivered tons of peppery, wood notes, a touch of cinnamon and was just stronger than the Punch Punch I have been smoking in recent years.  It really reminded me of the last batch of Serie A that I had smoked 3-4 years ago.

Kudos to those who picked right!

I knew it! Purely a guess on my part, as the stick I got did not display any of what I know current Punch Punch to be. I had a Punch Punch in November that blew my mind, and some very good since. This one did not live up to the others, but I do believe that to be an anomaly. I am glad I have a few boxes tucked away as quite a few of the response here echo my original sentiment. 

I knew my guess was wrong after I made it, but I didn't want to start randomly guessing. thought for sure it was a Boli. My only consolation is I just picked up a box of these. :) Looking forward to the next one.

I too, am 1/5, surprisingly as I have only had one or two Punch Punch's in the past.  Basically guessed based on wrapper color, and the fact that I've never had a Romeo cigar burn as true as Cigar no 1.  I'd beg a point of clarification, if it's not too gauche--as I never expected to get any of these right, what is the procedure for claiming the $25 prize for getting individual cigars?  Can it be applied toward a 24 24 sale or just a store purchase?  Thank you.  Looking forward to taking a swing at Cigar 2 in a week or so. 

Bananas!  That's what's so much fun about this competition because I smoke punch punch regularly but not for once did I think that's what this cigar would be.  I've never had a punch punch of the quality that my stick was:  dark oily wrapper, intense youth but loads of flavor.... congrats to those who got it right!  

I suggest to anyone considering a box purchase to wait for PSP quality because my sample was definitely PSP and the smoke was "another level" punch punch. 

I will never second guess myself again......
I knew it was a punch punch with all the floral notes it had. I smoked a second one from a 2015 box the very next night and it was different. Probably due to the test sample at 60rh and box cigar at 67rh. Man am I upset I changed my guess at the last minute.... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bugger. I considered changing my guess yesterday to Punch Punch. I smoked a RyJ Ex 4 the day after this and though "bloody hell, this tastes exactly like cigar #1, it must be an Exhibicion No. 3. Rob's got to be throwing a curveball in there."...but then yesterday I was like "God, when did I see Ex 3 on FOH before? Never. It's got to be Punch Punch...I'll kick myself if it's Punch Punch, should I change my guess"...? Then seeing this morning's description as "Fruity" I was even more convinced but too modest to ask to change my guess. 

Oh well, sometimes the most obvious answer is actually the answer. 

Lesson learned. Don't over think it. 

Either that or they all are the same with different stickers on! ?

Almost overthought this one. Regardless, email to Lisa: My guess is a '15 Punch Punch Punch from a dress box.

Probably the only one I'll get right this go-round.....congrats to all that picked correctly.

• Like 1

Congrats to the 26 who picked correctly.  Punch Punch was my guess from everyone else's reviews.  Only 3 in current production so I thought it was a no brainer when you guys mentioned leather, woody, grassy, sweetness, Cuban twang.  I have smoked about 15 from an OCT 14 cab and they fall right in line with what most of you experienced, fantastic cigars.  I should have stuck with my instinct and guessed from your reviews rather than my own smoking experience(chocolate, cinnamon/nutmeg, harsh and boring).  I forgot to factor Cuban inconsistency into the equation.  Good luck to all on #2

The only two current production cigars that could have a box press are the Punch Punch and the RyJ Exhibicion no. 3.  I gave myself pretty good odds at 50-50 and I still got it wrong.  LOL!

• Like 2

Congratulations to all who got No. 1 correct...you can't get em all right if you don't get the first one...Good job everyone!

Thanks again to Rob and Company for putting this together.

Cheers!

Bill