Partagas Petit Coronas Especiales

foursite12

More than 1/2 way through a box picked up blind from another vendor. Box code is GMA May 15. Quite a bit of variation cigar to cigar. Some had some sheen to the wrapper other none and aroma was lacking. I've had few with very tight draw and find them pretty monotone when it comes to flavor. I doubt I'll reorder unless The Prez. come up with some stellar examples on the 24:24

More than 1/2 way through a box picked up blind from another vendor. Box code is GMA May 15. Quite a bit of variation cigar to cigar. Some had some sheen to the wrapper other none and aroma was lacking. I've had few with very tight draw and find them pretty monotone when it comes to flavor. I doubt I'll reorder unless The Prez. come up with some stellar examples on the 24:24

I'm a Parti Shorts fan. I take it from your description, that these have little resemblance to those cigars. Is that the case for you ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

9 minutes ago, JR Kipling said:

I'm a Part Shorts fan. I take it from your description, that these have little resemblance to those. Is that the case for you ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I haven't tried the Shorts yet but from reviews I've read I would agree. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Haven't had a fresh one, but I'm hearing through the grapevine that recent PCE is smoking good but bit rough and needs some time. The Super Partagas seems to be smoking quite a bit rougher. The superior models right now seem to be the Aristocrats and the Mille Fleurs. The Partagas De Luxe also seems to be performing well as of late, which is interesting because I've never had a good one, although it's been about 7 or 8 years since my last one. 

Having an Aristocrats right now and for being less than one year from boxcode, already showing as much promise as a Short of similar age. Maybe not QUITE as refined, but I like the vitola much better.

• Like 1

I've been smoking and aging PcE for about 6 years now. They have imho always been one of the strongest PCs made. They need 4-5 years to start enjoying. But take on the Earthy, floral and spice goodness, After that time.
I also think they can go 10 plus years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 10/04/2017 at 3:26 AM, earthson said:

Having an Aristocrats right now and for being less than one year from boxcode, already showing as much promise as a Short of similar age. Maybe not QUITE as refined, but I like the vitola much better.

Care to elaborate on why you prefer the Aristocrat to the Short?

10 minutes ago, Rustyman said:

Care to elaborate on why you prefer the Aristocrat to the Short?

Well, I wouldn't say I prefer the Aristocrat to the Short, just that I like the size better. I've tried the rest of the Partagas PC-sized cigars and, like the cheap Upmann and RyJ offerings, they just taste cheap. The Aristocrats had all of the spice, cream and other notes I enjoy in larger Partagas cigars.

Favorite size is a pc/mareva and the Aristocratas is pretty close. While I love minutos and keep RASCC and Shorts on hand at all times, they're, well, short. They always seem to be done before I am. The extra length of a pc/cremas/etc just seems to result in a longer smoke (profound, I know!)

Now, after the box can decompress and begin aging, I'd be surprised if the Aristocrats turn out to be better than the Shorts, since they are a cheaper offering. Time will tell.

• Like 2

Thanks.  Good feedback.  You make me want to go out and find some Aristocrat's to sample.  I think it may be difficult to get a 5 pack in Sydney but I will have a look around. I don't want to commit to a box without trying it out first.

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 4/6/2017 at 4:18 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

Haven't had a fresh one, but I'm hearing through the grapevine that recent PCE is smoking good but bit rough and needs some time. The Super Partagas seems to be smoking quite a bit rougher. The superior models right now seem to be the Aristocrats and the Mille Fleurs. The Partagas De Luxe also seems to be performing well as of late, which is interesting because I've never had a good one, although it's been about 7 or 8 years since my last one. 

I know you and I share sentiments on the chico - reminiscences of the 'partagas of old'. I smoked a '13 PCE the other day that @awkwardPause had given me. HOT DAMN. That was a blast from the partagas past right there. SHMOWZOW what a brutally strong and spicy partagas.

So I'm wanting to add them into my normal stock rotation. Here's the rub though. Did I just get a really good example from a really good box, or are they quasi-reliable? I don't expect 898 reliability for $100 a box... maybe PL panetela reliability. Think that's reasonable?

Also do you find that the aristocrats or mille fleurs offer that brutal partagas intensity I'm craving?

I'm tellin ya, man. That 2013 PCE knocked me on my ass. THAT was how I remember the pre-2000 partagas.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been going through a lot of these, aristocrats and habaneros lately. All have been pleasing. The pces and aristocrats are within ~2 years old, and the habaneros are closer to 5. Habaneros are definitely a bit more refined. Pces have been real earthy. Aristocrats have been spicier.

I’ve had 2 from my box. I believe 2017 code. Given 2 away to cc smokers. They are very enjoyable, not refined but not too rough. Not a one dimensional cigar...maybe 2-3D. Lot of earth/musk with sweetness and a lil spice for me. Lots of smoke too. Flavor wise I’d compare to a mix of presidente and lusi. I’ve never had a party short and these taste nothing like the pd4 or pe2 which I’ve had. I imagine these are the partagas equivalent of the upmann corona major. No construction issues either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk