So how much can you bring in from Cuba (or Cuban product from elsewhere).

El Presidente

If I'm reading this correctly, it appears that anyone--US resident or non-US resident--entering the US directly from Cuba is limited to 50 cigars and 1 liter of liquor. 

However there still appears to be no limit for Cuban goods procured in other countries as long as they are considered personal use quantities.

The 50 limit is for duty free.

The article specifically says number limits are abolished. You can bring back as many as you like, but after 50 (I have also heard 100) you pay a duty which is i believe 4%

Also I don't think the article represents any changes to the new rules from this past Fall.

I just got back from my first trip to Havana and the only limit referenced while going through customs was 5L. I brought back 1.5L (Havana Club Añejo 7 Años) and my friend had 3L, who was pulled for a random search, and got through without any issues.

As for Cigars, I heard the limit was 100, but only brought back 25 (don't judge, I just didn't want to bring too much cash!)

The best part of the trip is how cheap the rum is. Havana Club 3 year is roughly $6/bottle, compared to 7 year being $16/bottle and Ron Santiago 12 Year $50/bottle. However, some bars price them all the same when you order them (mostly between $3.50-5, however, I did get 7 Year for $1.10 at a restaurant one night!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Duty free limits are posted on the US Customs and Border Protection for reference:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/246/~/duty--free-exemption

Specifically tobacco restrictions (and associated Treasury document):

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/53/~/travelers-bringing-in-tobacco-products-(cigarettes,-cigars,-bidis)-into-the

The new ruling means that Cuban goods fall under the standard guidelines of $800 or 100 cigars duty free, and point of origin is irrelevant.

Interestingly enough, with legislation under Obama, they quietly removed the restriction of importing Cuban goods for personal consumption for non-US travelers.

• Like 1

Since my wife and my 2 adult sons are traveling with me next week we plan to bring back a fair amount of cigars, rum and any Habanos literature or materials we can.

I will report back any issues.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, madandana said:

Have fun Lance.

Thanks this my 8th or plus trip over the last 20yrs, amazing the changes each time and amazing what doesn't change ;)

I remember going back in the day of bringing back $100 dollars worth on a gen lic trip and that seemed to be ok with 4 boxes...so no real change. I would just get the hand written receipt (factura) with a decimal moved to make the totals add up. Even got through with some 50 cabs....hey it is just 1 box after all.

Oh the days of finding cheap, aged stick on shelves.

• Like 1

Thanks this my 8th or plus trip over the last 20yrs, amazing the changes each time and amazing what doesn't change

I remember going back in the day of bringing back $100 dollars worth on a gen lic trip and that seemed to be ok with 4 boxes...so no real change. I would just get the hand written receipt (factura) with a decimal moved to make the totals add up. Even got through with some 50 cabs....hey it is just 1 box after all.

Oh the days of finding cheap, aged stick on shelves.

Here's the goods
ceb5b0cbd2aa282c03c982a3b285c3ab.jpg
4dfc813f8bcc2f4f732a6ec4e09c925e.jpg

• Like 2

I just got back, and the customs forms state on the back that over $800 may be taxed.  And that is for all goods brought back from overseas, including cigars. $800 in everything brought back. 

I brought a suitcase of around 25 boxes back and had no issues.  

I did get stopped in Cuban airport and was required to present the facturas, which were meticulously examined. 

• Like 2

On 3/3/2017 at 3:59 PM, 83Nation said:

25 boxes? What day is the party again?? emoji12.png

Haha... yeah, went a little overboard... 

Planning on going for our 1st Anniversary, so all of these details are very helpful. The last thing I want is for me or my wife be held "captive" for not being educated. Seems the factura (s) is key.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

100 cigars and 0.75 litre of rum are the amounts which are duty free. As long as you pay the tax you can bring in unlimited cigars or rum as long as it is for personal use (Obama Oct2016). Last cuba trip I brought back 23 boxes/bundles of cigars and 8 bottles of rum. So I didnt have to pay tax on the first 100 cigars per person and the first 0.75 litre per person.  I declared them correctly and paid $57 tax on the cigars and $24 on the rum. However the customs guy had no idea how to tax these items (it was his first time with cuban goods) and it seems like he was grasping to figure out how to correctly tax.

• 3 weeks later...

Word of warning: I traveled on Mexicana from San Francisco to Havana through Guadalajara and Cancun. If you transit via Mexico, Mexican importation rules will apply to you. 25 cigars per person. Anything beyond that and you will pay 200% duty. Luckily, I gave most of my haul to my parents who returned via Miami and I spread my boxes out among my 3 other fellow travelers. All US passport holders were pulled out of the transit line and searched. My girlfriend had 5 Guantanamera cigars she forgot my friend gave her as a gift and she was forced to pay $20 duty. All US passport holders missed their connections. So, beyond the crazy limits on tabacco, Mexican customs seemed to really have it in for US passport holders when we passed through. I'd avoid it like the plague.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

• Like 2