Do Good Looking Por Larranaga Panetelas Exist ?

seattledude

I have seen some variation when it comes to wrapper color, with some considerably darker than most boxes (the sandy pale you refer to).

In terms of flavor, even the cheaper PL sticks (panetelas and MCs) usually deliver. I think it is one of my favorite marcas on the cheap end. Once they've passed their green stage, that creamy caramel-like sweetness is just fantastic.

So I guess what I am trying to say: do pick up a box even though they might offend you aesthetically - it will be worth it. Dirt cheap fresh and if you give them a couple of years it will make an truly excellent first cigar of the day (imho).

• Like 1

Agreed. Get past any quirky looks (and they aren't THAT bad) and these are little beauties. I got a box of ABR 16s from Geneva in October and even after only 6 months they were crackers. Just finished the box and am looking at getting another  - perfect for when you haven't the time to go big or can't decide what to smoke when you have. Smoke one whilst deliberating!

I would say no, but this cigar isn't really a beauty queen anyway. It's kind of the girl you look for after 6 or 7 beers, and have a great time with, but don't call again for weeks on end.  Well, at least for me. I've never claimed to be a gentleman Afterall. 

• Like 3

So, I'll be that guy. I know this post is about the panetelas but I've only bought the PLMCs before. I made a quick decision when it was only a few bucks more to get the long filler. They aren't my favorite cigars but for the price they are really good. Why do you guys like the PLPs over the PLMCs? 

On 3/11/2017 at 10:19 PM, SloppyJ said:

So, I'll be that guy. I know this post is about the panetelas but I've only bought the PLMCs before. I made a quick decision when it was only a few bucks more to get the long filler. They aren't my favorite cigars but for the price they are really good. Why do you guys like the PLPs over the PLMCs? 

I don't. Let the MCs sit for a few years, and just like the PCs they become entirely different cigars. Fresh I really don't like any of the three. 2 years in the MCs (depending on the box) start to open up, it takes another year or 18 months (24 to 36 months total) for me to see that same development in the PCs. At 5 years they are both spectacular. I have never bought/aged full boxes of the panetelas, so I can't speak to their development. 

• Like 2

I have enjoyed worse looking sticks than these.:o

Don't see using the top grade wrapper on a bottom level cigar, do you ? 

try a couple...:party:

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎3‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 0:19 AM, SloppyJ said:

... Why do you guys like the PLPs over the PLMCs? 

I know I'm an exception but I'm not particularly fond of the MC,  but I love the Panatela.    IMHO the PLP taste is more true to the Por Larranaga profile.

The MC doesn't taste like a typical PL to me.   The PLP does.

Several years ago, when they were likely rolling some outstanding PL RE, I saw some perfect wrappers on the Panetelas.  They smoked a dream, too.  I'm still convinced they were using the leftovers from the RE to roll the cheapies.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 11:44 AM, DWC said:

I know I'm an exception but I'm not particularly fond of the MC,  but I love the Panatela.    IMHO the PLP taste is more true to the Por Larranaga profile.

The MC needs some time. It just does. Not a cigar to smoke with less than 2 years, and preferably 3+. They don't take quite as long as the PLPC to really blossom (4 or 5 years), but these can be very inconsistent young. Unfortunately, they also don't have the bite that young PLPCs do that give some the option to smoke them young. I just finished up a box of EML SEP 14 MCs that were good but not great. Scored them about a 90. Still needed some time I thought. I did smoke a box from early 2012 in mid-2015 and they were a bit better coming in at 91/92. I think that extra year made the difference.

The PLP is much more approachable young. A year or even a little less and they are absolutely ready to go. 

I purchased three boxes of PLP over the last year. The first was an AUM MAR 15 and it was very good, smoked in early 2016, scoring 91/92 for me. The next was an LOA FEB 13 box. Not good, and looked ugly as hell. Scored them 88/89. I'm now currently smoking through a SOM JUN 15 box and these are very good, coming in at around 91. There are some tighter draws among them however, but not plugged.

So I am a fan of the PLP, and when they can be found for under $70 which often they can, they're a great value. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Most have been pretty fugly for me, although I just received a box that was full of nearly ideal looking little beauties.  Thought they were something else that was ordered they're so nice.  Darn tasty as well.  Definitely gonna order another box or few to see if luck might strike again!

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/23/2017 at 2:44 PM, DWC said:

I agree - not impressed with the MC at all.  Love the PLP and PLPC lots!