24:24 change you?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

99% of members are fantastic.  The team and I are always trying to devise a better system that achieves a fairer outcome. That may mean 24:24 in a different guise. We are still a little way off th

Temporarily.  I was discussing this with @Ethernut the other day.  I believe there's a progression of sorts you go through.  At first I was an entitled feverish Kid in a Candy store.  Then I started s

Hoarding cigars?  By all means, I'm guilty as sin.  Half the people on here are, that's half the fun.     Buying rare, aged stock nobody can get and posting them at a markup shortly after br

8 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I never use to panic that I would meet the 7:30 am Monday and Friday kickoff. :shead:

I never use to get e-mails seeking a CSI investigation as the timing of received e-mails. Conspiracy theorists abound.....they are worse when combined with paranoia.....yes...that means you buddy! :lookaround:

The sweet offers of a lucrative payday for the selective leaking of the 24:24 a day early....

The trumped up indignation and "demanding" of a box when told all are gone. 

I suspect the days of 24:24 are numbered at least in it's current guise. 

Say it aint so!!!!

I like the 24:24 as it lets me see what is looking and smoking good in current production. Unfortunately my budget won't stretch to more than a box or so a month, luckily for me this is far more than I can smoke and it's nice to window shop sometimes!

It has changed my buying routine though. Previously I bought singles/5 packs from B&Ms, whereas now I am buying boxes. I'm not an impulse buyer which doesn't help with the 24:24 sales, I normally just wait until what I have decided I want comes up.

It is a shame that some people take it a bit too seriously. Life's too short to worry about what cigars you have/have not been able to buy.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I suspect the days of 24:24 are numbered at least in it's current guise. 

Please don't let this be the case.  I realize I am new here but allow me to offer some input on the subject.  I signed up for the forum months ago and casually onserved as a lurker.  Then as I had more time available I started to realize what all was offered by site, you the host and the members.  I then found the 24:24 and decided it was something I wanted to participate in.  Initially I failed miserably, missing out on some prime BCG's.  I went through the seven stages of grief:

SHOCK - You just sold the last box What? How? Come on!    

DENIAL - No way that many people got emails in before me! 

ANGER - Dirty rotten lousy no good sheep herding @#$%^*#$!!! 

GUILT - Ok, I may have skipped this stage 

DEPRESSION - The world is over I shall never again have an opportunity to buy this discontinued cigar.  Where is my pistola?.  

ACCEPTANCE - I accept that I shall never again have an opportunity to buy this discontinued cigar.  

EMBRACING LIFE - What the hell it's just a cigar?  Besides there is another 24:24 tomorrow!  

This process took all of about 5 minutes perhaps even a little less.  One because I'm an adult and two because I'm a Texan.  We don't spend much time worrying about things we can't control (unless it involves BBQ, I'm still obsessing about how to improve my smoked brisket).  

The other stuff you're describing is unfortunately yet predictably part of the human condition.  Everyone believes they are entitled, everyone tries to gain a competitive advantage, everyone's imagination runs away from them on occasion (it must be a conspiracy).  The only variable is to what degree and are they able to control themselves. Please don't allow those few without self control to ruin this for the rest of us.  24:24 is both unique to the forum and the hobby and though I have only been actively participating in it for a few weeks I would genuinely hate to see it go or be altered from its present form.  It gives me something to look forward to each day.  

Post script: I have since gotten a properly formatted email in on time and was able to purchase an offering on 24:24.  Though it wasn't the BCG's I was looking for. Say Rob If I were to offer you a lucrative payday might you be willing to tell me when these will be offered again? B)

• Like 1

No, not really. It didnt change me, however I added boxes here and there what were not part of my original plan. :) Standard story I guess

No one should be scared about 24:24 is going off the table. Will be something else, something better, something different as always. We had LFTH/LFTW before 24:24 and was fun but over a point wasnt manageable by the team. We got 24:24 then. It was good and fun but the forum has grown again we possible have reached the point where it is not doable anymore as it is... then what? Changes arent bad at all. It will progress to somewhere something...still with the team and cigars at the end.

While I think 24:24 is and has been a good feature it really doesn't impact me that much.  Due to the time differences I am not in a position to make a daily check until around five o'clock am EST.  Some nine hours on average after the daily posting.  So most of the stuff is gone by then.  No problem.  If I see something then I'll go for it.  Otherwise I move on. :lol3:

All part of becoming an educated consumer.  B)

• Like 2

Unfortunately, folks are way braver and ballsier behind a keyboard. Hell, I see it with my sons elementary school. You can run your mouth off, but now you settle it in the school yard and the cops get involved for assault. Amazing what having no consequences will embolden people to do. 

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

99% of members are fantastic. :thumbsup:

The team and I are always trying to devise a better system that achieves a fairer outcome. That may mean 24:24 in a different guise. We are still a little way off that but I will keep you in the loop. We simply outgrew the old "Live From The Humidor" (as much fun as that was) and we may be coming close to the day of outgrowing "24:24" 

I still have to go through cigars and thoroughly enjoy that part. To be able to answer the simple question of "what's looking good Rob" is a core part of my role. Well that and the follow up question of "How are they smoking" :D

The key to whatever we propose will be in achieving the balance of great cigars made accessible to the widest element of the FOH community regardless if you are on super high internet speeds or living with near dial up. 

With your input we will work out any evolution that may come to pass. 

Turn a section of this site into an ecommerce site.  at the same time each day offer 4-10 specials as you currently do.  Don't require emails, instead have a shopping cart.  First come first served.  Sold out  pops up when gone.  bingo bango bammo...I have watched many iterations of these sales and hold a soft spot for each, the next has always been an improvement.

• Like 2

I have to agree that I dont think someone should be allowed to send one email and grab more than 1 or 2  of the same boxes at a time.  Not sure if thats happening anyways.  Just my opinion obviously....

• Like 4

I'm not sure how much of the stock is affected. But there are flippers buying your 24 stock. And I'm not talking about buying a box to keep a few and sell the rest to even out. I'm talking your your grading stickers and codes, over half a dozen or more boxes in a week being sold by several individuals on certain sites.
I'm all for a free/open market.
But maybe:
A 1 box limit on some items needs be inforced?
Something like a max of 1 box clearance CoRos can only be had if you buy something else from the 24 that's most likely not the hot item of the day?
Maybe limiting members to so many boxes total a week. Once they hit the total they are done for the week.
It's not my business. But I wish the FoH team well in whatever decision they make.
Now onto smoke #1 of the blind taste test........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the majority of us here use the 24:24 offerings as a way to get good to great quality cigars (with the varying degrees of quality well explained and/or disclosed) for ourselves at an affordable price. However, if in fact others are buying multiple boxes in an attempt to flip them for profit on other sites, then (other than cutting their b@!! s off) I too feel a box limit (of say 2 boxes) might be the best way to let everyone get a chance at the offerings.

As a further suggestion, I would say you could request as many boxes as you would like. But that person would be limited to 2 boxes during the first hour or two (of the usual feeding frenzy) of 24:24, and be put on a list for the remaining boxes. If after a specified amount of time boxes are still available, then let them have more.

Anyway, I am just very happy to have found this site and the ability to purchase excellent cigars and a reasonable price-- thank you Prez! P The above is just my 2 cents in an effort to keep the system running well and allowing as many personal consumers the chance at the daily offerings. Because let's face it ... El Presidente sure has been putting up some amazing smokes lately. Who doesn't want a chance at such goodies?!?!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I feel so sheltered. Didn't even know their are other boards/sites where individuals can sell their stock. I've newer here and was a active member of HabanosBrothers from 2006ish to 2009 (hardly smoked from 2010 until recently), socmy exposure is fairly limited. 

Along with @PlatypusMaximus I, too, had the thought of letting people order as much as they want but with a fulfillment box limit for the first few hours to allow for others to share (including those in hard to sync time zones possibly) and then let the extra demand be filled if any offered stock remains unsold in the later hours of the sale. Admin headaches doing this, I can only guess. Is there an online order fulfillment app to help here?  Just random musings; I confess complete ignorance on the subject.

• Like 1

24:24 has certainly 'encouraged' me grow my collection faster than I probably would have otherwise all due to the combination of scarcity, pics and Rob's descriptions as well as the 'game of chance' aspect (who doesn't love getting that "You have yourself a box" email from Di when you're not sure if you were quick enough or not).

14 hours ago, El Presidente said:

The key to whatever we propose will be in achieving the balance of great cigars made accessible to the widest element of the FOH community regardless if you are on super high internet speeds or living with near dial up. 

As much as I like 24:24 as it is, I'm confident however you evolve it will be as good or better, Rob.

I would just add that it would seem reasonable to institute a one-box per item per member rule. 

• Like 2