Wider Cuba Travel

Cienfuegos - PROS great town on a bay.  Chill, few tourists.  CONS - not many paladars/places to eat

Trinidad - PROS nice town square, recognized by UNESCO, great live music at the Casa de Musica, cobblestone streets, beautiful waterfalls close by, CONS - lots of tourists in the main square at times.Cuba 2006 Honeymoon 097.jpgCuba 2006 Honeymoon 088.jpgCuba 2006 Honeymoon 121.jpg

• Like 2

Guess its all a matter of what you are after. 

Loved the atmosphere in trinidad. Stayed in a casa a bit away from the center. The country side is not far and the feeling is different from havanna. Enjoyed watching life on the street and listening to the sounds. There seemed to be a great sense of community amongst the people in the hood and they seemed to care for each other in a way I dont know of around here. Would have loved to go a bit further off the beaten track, but thatll have to wait for the kids to grow older. The fact that we couldnt find ice cream for sale every day in trinidad was enough trouble for the family at this stage

while the ressorts of varadero wasnt my favorite spot, I enjoyed staying in a casa on the beach around calle 20 or so, a place named after the owners berta y alfredo - to be googled. Lovely beach and alfredo is a good cook - not a very authentic cuban experience I guess, but a nice, cheap and easy way to add some beach life to the trip. 

5 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Cayo Levisa. Recommended little island 30 minutes off the shore north of Vinales. Only 1 hotel. Very nice beach.

Looks like one to put on the list to visit :thumbsup:

https://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Hotel_Review-g616287-d273666-Reviews-Hotel_Cayo_Levisa-Pinar_del_Rio_Province_Cuba.html#photos;geo=147270&detail=273666

• Like 1

The only thing I didn't like about Cayo Santa Maria was that there was no place to smoke inside.  I couldn't believe it.  That was five years ago; maybe things have changed since then, but I doubt it. 

37 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

The only thing I didn't like about Cayo Santa Maria was that there was no place to smoke inside.  I couldn't believe it.  That was five years ago; maybe things have changed since then, but I doubt it. 

The place I posted, pics of , you can smoke in the lobby. Yes its not really inside, but typically cool. Huge also......One of my favorite things about the place actually, we spent hours there smoking and hanging out.  

Check out eastern Cuba. Far from the centers of cigar production and the glorious nexus of the Spanish silver trade that was old Havana, it is a different world from the frenetic energy of that city - dirt poor, but laid back, weird and still quite safe. My suggestion : Fly to Holguin and rent a car. Gardalavaca is just down the road. There is a small 4 room hotel past the row of all-inclusives, with fantastic black market lobster in the fishing village meters away. Drive up the coast to Baracoa. Before you get there is a fantastic wild beach with a small hotel. Baracoa is great - historic, tropical, totally falling apart but charming, right on the coast, and with good Casas. Drive over the Sierra to Guantanamo. On the way are small isolated pebble beaches. I once spent a hilarious evening in Guantanamo drinking local rum with a Cuban ex intelligence officer. But there is no beach here as that is Guitmo. Then on to the city of Santiago - some great little traditional music venues and world class hustlers (can be a big hassle if you are a single woman). You are really in the heart of the revolution here.  You won't find the same cynicism that oozes out of the cosmopolitan Habaneros when talking about Fidel here. In this dirt poor part of the country they know what they were fighting for. Go to the museum in the house where the initial launch on the Macado barracks was launched. Read the story of the complete screw up that was the Cuban Revolution until Che and Camille took control of things. The impressive fort has some spectacular views of the coast. The coast west from Santago is stunningly beautiful and isolated with black sand beaches. At the end of the coast road is Las Colaradas, where the Granma carrying the Castros and a small army of revolutionaries from Mexico, beached in a swamp to start the Cuban Revolution proper. The landing by the way was a complete fiasco. There is a reconstruction of the boat here (the original is in Havana). Then cut across the island through Manzanillo and Bayamo back to Holguin. Needs a week or so to do, and you won't forget it. Coast west of Santiago.jpg

Street market in Santiago.jpg

Che with small child and toy horse on shoulder Santiago University.jpg

Bar in Guantanamo.jpg

Santiago rooftops..jpg

Isolated beach in Eastern Cuba.jpg

Irene with hitch-hiker and friends near Baracoa.jpg

Beach near Baracoa.jpg

• Like 3