new havana club release

Ken Gargett

Havana Club launches second Tributo expression

7th March, 2017 by Lucy Shaw

Havana Club has released a second expression of Tributo – a sipping rum made from the distillery’s aged reserves, which shines a light on the aguardiente in the blend.

Tributo-525x640.jpg

Launched last week during the annual Habanos cigar festival in Havana, just 2,500 bottles of Havana Club Tributo 2017 will go on sale around the world.

Crafted by Havana Club’s master blender Asbel Morales, from five hand-selected base rums and a 40-year-old ‘aguardiente’ spirit base matured in old barrels, the aguardiente is at the heart of Tributo 2017.

The result, according to Morales, is “an exceptional rum with a distinctive dry note and an intriguing array of flavours”.

“Tributo 2017 is a tribute to the know how of Cuban rum. The extensive reserves at the Havana Club distillery provided us with a wealth of luxurious aged rums to experiment with.

“By blending a decades-old aguardiente and our precious rums, we have achieved a new rum experience that is lively and complex, with a remarkable dry taste imparted by the sugar cane character of the aguardiente and a powerful finish,” he said.

The 40% abv rum has “an amber glow and flavours of chocolate, tobacco and coffee”, and aims to showcase “the richness and variety of styles found within the Cuban rum category”.

Priced at €350, each 70cl bottle is numbered and signed by Morales. The racing green on the gift box pays homage to the colour of the sugar cane plant.

“With only 2,500 bottles being released worldwide, we expect the expression to be popular among global rum and dark spirits connoisseurs who are looking for the next authentic Cuban rum to add to their repertoire,” said Nick Blacknell, international marketing director at Havana Club International.

• Like 1

I'm very new to rum and was lucky enough to have been able to taste this at the H&F lunch held at Protocol house after the amazing El Laguito tour last week.Nice drop however to my palate I still prefer Santiago de Cuba 12 anos.Many thanks to Jemma Freeman for organizing and bringing in Alexandr Gorokhovskiy from Pernod Ricard who bought the rum and introduced us to it.A very nice touch was the Havana Club cigar case he gave to each of us at the end.
I smoked my first Medio Siglo with the rum tasting,that cigar needs a lot more rest.
42667714184b37f74866421ba834f9ba.jpg
723d7b64b536f307de1c1b2b9d1114e4.jpg
6abfda5439ec63679327519605434217.jpg
df5398c63413010577da6889a874f33e.jpg
af6f25054b6848b01aa56e7a2d1eb0cf.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...