Hamaki

Online Coffee Vendors

20 posts in this topic

I'm starting a coffee club at work and would love to hear opinions/suggestions for high quality coffee vendors that have an online store.  It's clear a lot of people here seek out fine cigars so I'm sure plenty also do the same for coffee.      

 

What are your favorite beans  and where do you usually get them?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are tons of options for online coffee ordering. Looking to sample a variety of coffees? MistoBox has a curated subscription option. There are others like it, but Misto has a good thing going. You select preferences and frequency and they send you good coffee. 

I went through subscriptions like this before and it can be fun. Now I prefer to support a local coffee shop and buy their coffee consistently. I like to support smaller and local businesses when possible. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Intelligencia Coffee is big in the Espresso world. https://www.intelligentsiacoffee.com/subscriptions/

I stick with Costco, the price savings on Peets or whatever your local Costco carries pays for my membership on coffee alone. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know our own Lisa (Canadianbeaver) had an online shop. I do not know if she still does or not - I believe it was rocketfuel coffee.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, fabes said:

There are tons of options for online coffee ordering. Looking to sample a variety of coffees? MistoBox has a curated subscription option. There are others like it, but Misto has a good thing going. You select preferences and frequency and they send you good coffee. 

I went through subscriptions like this before and it can be fun. Now I prefer to support a local coffee shop and buy their coffee consistently. I like to support smaller and local businesses when possible. 

Definitely plenty of options online. The last place I lived I bought exclusively from a local shop and their stuff rocked. Where I live now doesn't really offer that or have any large vendors such as Costco. 

 

I've used stumptown coffee in the past but looking for something new. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd look for a roaster somewhat close to you. Freshness is so important, if you're on the west coAst and ordering from somewhere on the east coast it can add several days to shipping which will cost you freshness. If you're not buying from a local roaster its at least worth looking for someone within a short shipping difference. 

When I lived in Los Angeles I ordered from Klatch. I still love their coffee but what used to take one day to ship now takes five now that I'm on the other side of the country. 

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I buy from Killer Beans Coffee.

Jerry posts on another cigar forum I belong to, and has great deals pretty regularly.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Kamera said:

I'd look for a roaster somewhat close to you. Freshness is so important, if you're on the west coAst and ordering from somewhere on the east coast it can add several days to shipping which will cost you freshness. If you're not buying from a local roaster its at least worth looking for someone within a short shipping difference. 

When I lived in Los Angeles I ordered from Klatch. I still love their coffee but what used to take one day to ship now takes five now that I'm on the other side of the country. 

Oh man. I miss Klatch. I try to stop there when I visit family now. Great coffee, and the espresso is delicious!

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really like Kicking Horse Coffee out of BC Canada. You can buy on Amazon. I gave small bags as Christmas presents to family members last year and I hooked the entire family -- as they all reordered for themselves after the gifts ran out. The Kick Ass blend is my favorite -- it's a killer dark roast. I highly recommend them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Blue Bottle Coffee is outstanding.  The real deal.  A bit pricey, but you get what you pay for.  Shipped within a day or two of roasting, bags properly dated, and great blends and single origin offerings.  Highly recommended.

Also, excellent to enjoy in person when in San Francisco!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, scap99 said:

I buy from Killer Beans Coffee.

Jerry posts on another cigar forum I belong to, and has great deals pretty regularly.

I ordered from him and the beans were good, but after shipping it was well in the $20's a lb. and not worth it IMO.    For me, I would not pay over $15 delivered no matter how good it was.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

I ordered from him and the beans were good, but after shipping it was well in the $20's a lb. and not worth it IMO.    For me, I would not pay over $15 delivered no matter how good it was.

I agree, for a pound at a time, it is painful.

I just had a pound delivered for $21usd.  normally, I order a few pounds to ease the pain, when he runs a sale, but this time it was a one pounder.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, scap99 said:

I just had a pound delivered for $21usd.  normally, I order a few pounds to ease the pain, when he runs a sale, but this time it was a one pounder.  

If his coffee was $12-15 lb delivered I would be interested, but Peets and Mayorga coffee is $7 lb it's too hard to say no. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$21 a pound.....wow. Can't do that. or wouldn't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

shipping is going to be constant among vendors.

Killer Beans  does a great job, and they have a Cocoa mix called Big Tuba that is world class.

Ingredients like ginger, hot pepper, it really has a ton of character, and if memory serves, it is around $8.00 for something over a pound.

So, if you want a really good coffee, expect to pay $15.00 a pound or so, unless you roast your own.

The green beans I use sell for $6 to $8 a pound, and with shipping this can add a couple dollars a pound to 8.00 to 10.00 a pound.

When you figure that in,you have to wonder about your $7.00 a pound roasted, ground, nearby superstore brands.

 

enjoy..............

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Id recommend some Dark Matter coffee. Specifically some of their Barrel aged specialty coffees. It's on a whole nother level.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tel RNB said:

$21 a pound.....wow. Can't do that. or wouldn't do that.

2 lbs. bag of Peets at Costco is like $13; hard to beat that.  I don't see any benefit ordering online.  I like the Kirkland Guatemalan beans when they have them.  Mayorga Cuban Roast is great and even less money than the Peets!  We rotate between them all.  I don't like to do the same blend two bags in a row. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I second Intelligentsia, their Black Cat is not only a great espresso roast, but makes an excellent bold drip coffee as well.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Happy Mug
Death Wish Coffee
Bongo Java
Porto Rico Imports
La Colombe

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Places in San Francisco that I love (and ship): Blue Bottle (their espresso is off chart), Phliz (so many blends, too little time but my favorite is either the Arabic or the Greater Alarm) and finally St. Franks (very local and great people)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.