Whynter Plastic Smell Help

stinkhead

Hi guys I have not been able to get rid of the plastic smell of my Whynter. So far I have washed it out with baking soda and distilled water, let it sit out in the sun for the day, and then left closed with a thing of baking soda for a week. 

What else can I do to try to get ride of this smell? Should I just do this process again? I am also from Chicago and the weather has been absolutely terrible so leaving it in the sun right now currently is a challenge.

Thanks for the help

I just washed mine out a couple of times and then filled it up. Not sure I ever got ALL of the smell out. Currently, it's almost full and smells like heaven. If you have a local B&M, see if you can go buy some empty boxes. I did that and I think it helped and added something else to buffer the RH than just my beads. 

On 3/19/2017 at 2:56 PM, stogieluver said:

Clean it with a vinegar and water solution, rinse well, let dry.  Should do the trick.

I did this Sunday. Washed it with distilled vinegar and water and left it in the sun all day. After that I a put an opened bag of regular charcoal in it and kept it shut today....

Opened it up and it still smelled. Is it possibly I will never be able to get this smell out and should try to return it??

On 3/20/2017 at 3:18 PM, PlatypusMaximus said:

This ^^^. Also, stuff with crumpled newspaper overnight. Should do the trick.

I left a high plastic smell fridge (after washing with vinegar/water) stuffed with newspaper closed/off for about a week, and then turned it on for a few days with newspaper (a little less newspaper for better airflow). Then a few more days with as much cedar/  empty boxes that I had. This seemed to do the trick.

19 minutes ago, Dimmers said:

I left a high plastic smell fridge (after washing with vinegar/water) stuffed with newspaper closed/off for about a week, and then turned it on for a few days with newspaper (a little less newspaper for better airflow). Then a few more days with as much cedar/  empty boxes that I had. This seemed to do the trick.

Turning it on is not a bad idea. I have nothing to lose at this point. Never should have bought this

12 minutes ago, gorob23 said:

Maybe go to hardware/lumber yard  store and put some cedar wood in it for awhile ;)

It came with cedar shelves, but I have them out right now since I didn't want them to get tainted by the plastic. As well as if I'm just throwing cedar over to mask the odor is that really solving the problem? 

What I did:
Left it open for a day.
Cleaned with baking soda and DW 3 times.
Stuffed with newspaper for 3 days, then fresh newspaper 3 days after. Left it closed for about 2 weeks.
4 bricks of activated charcoal.
Washed it with Sunlight soap, twice. Rinsed really well.
After that, the plastic smell was gone.

What I would suggest is get some more charcoal and leave it closed for a good 2-3 days. Perhaps put a fan on top of a tupperware dish with a brick of charcoal in it. I wouldn't use charcoal dust and fan as it will spread it.
Wash it with a mild soap, preferably unscented - if not, just rinse it really well. Cold water is best as it does not make the smell stay.

Baking soda allegedly also soaks smells. You can try that.

Eucalyptus oil in a dish down the bottom or at different levels can work. The eucalyptus oil takes all the smells. Simply leave it in there for 72 hours.
They do this in hospital fridges sometimes.

Honestly, though, if the charcoal and eucalyptus oil doesn't work, you probably need to wash it a few times. A lot of people swear by distilled vinegar.
Myself - I'd avoid vinegar. Instead, I'd use isopropyl alcohol and water if it came to that.

I forgot about the newspaper. It's the carbon in the print that does it. You can go to your local pet/aquarium shop and get some activated carbon for pretty cheap. A bag of that would probably do the trick.