24:24 Box Codes Matching

Greetings Gents,  I'm still very new here and have been partaking in the wonderful 24:24 sales.  

I've only got 7 orders under my belt but am curious to see if box codes matter if they don't match what

was advertised at the time of 24:24?  Out of the 7 orders I've only gotten one order that matched the box code

on 24:24.  Have any of you experienced the same?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I do my best in being accurate on Box codes.  The process I go through is as follows.  I go through my stock (part or full) of say Partagas Lusitania.  I sort the boxes into 4 piles.  F

Before goung public, I believe this should have been discussed with Rob by those who care about it.  Was this done?

interesting thread. i wonder if a few people are getting just a little too anal about this? i mean that in the nicest way, of course. never bought a box because of a code in my life and cannot ev

Hmm..  the only times I believe it's happened is when the listing states, i.e."TOS SEP *mostly" or another combination of 2 different codes + "mostly". Other than that, I believe I've received what was advertised.  

If if you have a specific date you know you purchased and need reference, I'm sure I or another member could help you with what the original post stated.  

Otherwise, I'm even more certain the FOH team would be more than willing to correct a mistake if it were to ever happen.  On a side note, as I'm sure you've probably seen, there may be a disclaimer or two on the 24:24 threads that might fit the bill, as it has for me at one time or another. 

If the listing specified an exact box code, then that is what I have received.  But sometimes the box code is marked as *mostly, and in those cases I sometimes receive something completely different. Even when this happens I'm not really worried about it - I'm sure it'll be up to the standard that was advertised.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, el chino said:

Greetings Gents,  I'm still very new here and have been partaking in the wonderful 24:24 sales.  

I've only got 7 orders under my belt but am curious to see if box codes matter if they don't match what

was advertised at the time of 24:24?  Out of the 7 orders I've only gotten one order that matched the box code

on 24:24.  Have any of you experienced the same?

Are you buying cigars or box codes? If the answer is yes to the first then the next question is: are the cigars good? If you can answer with yes who cares the rest? 
If the yes answer applies to the second question then ohm I dont know man... 

From 24:24 today: We will not cherry pick boxes on request. 
Neither quality nor box codes in my book. Just not. Takes time, work, effort, money...
Still from there: ETP JUN 16*
*mostly, or SOM MAR 16* Mostly*
Means not all the boxes are with that code. But still checked and picked by Rob or the team! I mean quality checked! That's what matters, in it? Ask the question again: am I buying cigars or codes? 

However! If you want a special box with a special code such as child birthday month wedding whatever... ask Rob in a private mail. He is seriously open minded and ready to help people in every possible way he can. 

• Like 2

I recently stopped purchasing from here myself because of this same problem. Only one code listed many times. No mostly written. Never got the code. Always seemed to happen with a more desirable code. Anyone ever get a box of ETP Lusitanias????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, subport said:

Are you buying cigars or box codes? If the answer is yes to the first then the next question is: are the cigars good? If you can answer with yes who cares the rest? 
If the yes answer applies to the second question then ohm I dont know man... 

From 24:24 today: We will not cherry pick boxes on request. 
Neither quality nor box codes in my book. Just not. Takes time, work, effort, money...
Still from there: ETP JUN 16*
*mostly, or SOM MAR 16* Mostly*
Means not all the boxes are with that code. But still checked and picked by Rob or the team! I mean quality checked! That's what matters, in it? Ask the question again: am I buying cigars or codes? 

However! If you want a special box with a special code such as child birthday month wedding whatever... ask Rob in a private mail. He is seriously open minded and ready to help people in every possible way he can. 

Agree100%, quality and construction are why you might hunt a box code in the first place so if both are good then the code is irrelevant unless the specific date like subport noted 

• Like 2

Agree100%, quality and construction are why you might hunt a box code in the first place so if both are good then the code is irrelevant unless the specific date like subport noted 

If you were correct then why list the box code at all?

8 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

Then list the month and year.

Go to Rob and make a suggestion there. 

I have never gotten into this chasing code game. Its the cigar I smoke what matters to me.  Back in days with no qa control and crap construction were important... not any more. At all.

25 minutes ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

If you were correct then why list the box code at all?

Ask the man himself.

I still dont care about the codes. I had got same and different codes during the yrs with all good cigars. I have nothing to do with the stamp on the bottom of the box. I do smoke and like the cigars. That's it. 

box codes does not equal quality! you can get crap cigars in any box code. that's why you need someone like Rob to check the quality. i've never had any issues with quality even with the box codes not exactly what was advertised. just relax and enjoy the quality of the cigars you'll be smoking! ;-)

• Like 1

I thought codes didn't matter either.

Go smoke any RyJ Churchill from a 14 box.  Then smoke one from a MUO.  

Smoke any Punch from 14.  Then smoke one from EML box.

Smoke a RASS or QDO from any 13 box.  Then smoke them from a MUR box.

Just my opinion......

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vinnyvega said:

Just my opinion......

I agree with this absolutely.  I too used to not believe box codes mattered.  However, I haven't had the problems that the OP has reported with the 24 24 sales.  I would venture that if you buy clearance/seconds, you might be in for a few off codes.  I have bought clearance and seconds from the sale, and I didn't even bother with teh codes at all because for that level of cigar/money i consider it an every day smoke or golf course cigar.  Really doubt that a seconds level cigar is going to be made or broken by the factory it came out of.  The PSP only boxes I've bought I've tracked the codes or made note of the codes and the delivery was as advertised. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vinnyvega said:

Just my opinion......

Can't comment on the punch but the other two are funny examples, especially the rass. MUR OCT 13 is the box I just cannot finish. Unfortunately not because they are that good, ehh. Go figure. 

Also find a thread about chasing box codes. MUR was a spot on average code back in days...

A box code itself will NOT guarantee any quality but can give you a guideline. Thats it. Then again, if quality checked, construction checked, does that 3 letters matter? :) 

8 minutes ago, Fugu said:

But that's your and others' plain personal decision, whether they do care about it or not, and that's fine. But Rob does list box codes - some people seem to be interested in it (which is obviously why Rob is providing that info). So it appears absolutely legitimate for them to ask, when they - repeatedly, as it seems - get different as stated. Whether a third person - you and me - does actually give a 5hit, is pretty irrelevant for them.

So, while I see this as a matter primarily to be negotiated directly between seller and buyer, it may be acceptable for a newb (that's what the OP states about himself) to ask into the forum as to whether this is the usual custom with 24:24 (I see an update by @Smoker coming....:D).

Fair enough.

On the other hand there is the "*mostly" to be safe if something else has the quality but not the code :)

I suppose the only box code (factory portion only) I would care about is the one for the actual Cohiba factory.

Aside from that, I have (so far) received what I've ordered - and one thing is certain, I've had ZERO quality issues with the sticks.

My biggest problem is the wear and tear on my credit card.

• Like 1

Seems the simple fix would be to attach the *mostly caveat to all 24:24 listings.  I've always taken it as implied even if not stated, but I don't really pay any attention to box codes for current production.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, subport said:

Fair enough.

On the other hand there is the "*mostly" to be safe if something else has the quality but not the code :)

The tone in your posts isn't that friendly, I really don't see the point in hounding a member that is new to the boards with your personal opinions about taste or the importance of box codes. Neither of those were solicited in the original post.

Taste is obviously a personal preference (if nothing else, your RASS MUR can serve as an example) and so is the importance of box codes. OP has a legitimate question (most likely with a perfectly fine answer).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, miamipadronsmoker said:

I recently stopped purchasing from here myself because of this same problem. Only one code listed many times. No mostly written. Never got the code. Always seemed to happen with a more desirable code. Anyone ever get a box of ETP Lusitanias????

I got ETP lusi's as advertised......

I can say that I've never gotten a box that didn't match the advertised listing. 

• Like 1

I personally don't care (except El Laguito has rendered me helpless on a couple purchases).  I don't buy from the 24:24 to get a specific code.  However, if that is your thing, then it is totally understandable to expect the code that is listed.  The only time I cared about a difference was when I received a box with a couple extra years age on it.  That was a good day.  Perhaps the prez will weigh in, but I am sure he goes through a crazy number of boxes and perhaps there are different box codes in the same master case.  I am sure it is easy to miss one or two out of hundreds when you are churning and burning through box after box. 

7 minutes ago, SloppyJ said:

I got ETP lusi's as advertised......

I can say that I've never gotten a box that didn't match the advertised listing. 

I ordered those damn ETP Lusi's twice and no luck. Three boxes, two of them PSP. Good for you man! Can't remember the last time they rolled Lusitanias at Partagas Factory.