In a vitola rut

Lately, I seem to be picking up cigars in only 1 or 2 vitolas.  Not that it's a bad thing. I'm not really fond of any 1 particular vitola, but when I see a cigar come up here on the 24:24 or on "special" somewhere else I think "oooh, I gotta get/try that," and it tends to be around the same size each time, except for maybe the occasional torp.  The cigars I've been getting have been ranging from 4 - 5" in length with a 42 - 50 ring.  Maybe it's the cooler weather that's affected my buying decisions, but spring is here and warmer weather is around the corner so I'm looking for suggestions on a bigger cigar.  I'm wondering what some of you consider your "go to" or "never let's me down" type of cigar, or in general gets high praise.  The size I'm looking into would be around 5.6 - 6" (maybe even a little bigger) in length with 46 - 50 ring.  I picked up some Punch Punch in the recent 24:24 offering as a shift to a larger cigar, but I know there are plenty more out there to try.  I've also been eyeing the 898 when they come up.  As far as taste preferences go, I'm pretty open about it.  I like mild to medium to maybe slightly bold at times.  I'm a fan of most flavors, except for maybe too spicey or too much tobacco, if it makes sense to say that about a cigar.  I especially like coffee and chocolate notes.  In general, I am not that picky.

• Like 1

My initial reaction is the Mag 50. It's a 50RG and 6.5 in. I've got a box that sits in the bottom back corner of my wineador and is often overlooked, however every time I pull one out it's a winner. Also HDM Epicure Especial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

LONG AND SKINNY.

PLMC, LGCs, Cohiba Lancero, any of the long coronas/dahlias/cazadores. I typically get an hour plus out of the first two and in the 2 hour range for the rest. Lots of great cigars still left in this size range including some of the best values(for me) and people need to start buying them so they don't get axed!

I find that there is nothing wrong with knowing what you like.

There is so much variation in the Cuban cigar, that cigars from the same box are enough to keep my interest. Frankly I don't see seeking a few vitolas as being a rut... There is nothing wrong with a broad range of cigars to smoke from certainly. But on the other hand, there is no harm in knowing what you like and focusing on those!!!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 4

If you've just picked up the Punch Punch, then look out for some other Corona Gorda vitolas (46 ring gauge x 143 mm or 5 5/8 inches) when they are next offered, such as the  Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure No. 1, Cohiba Siglo IV, Juan Lopez Seleccion No.1 (there was a great deal on 24:24 last week on this vitola), H.Upmann Magnum 46 and Ramon Allones Superiores (these come in 10-count boxes). I could also recommend you the Saint Luis Rey Serie A, but these have been in production hiatus since the beginning of 2016. Good luck if you can score them!  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dmpotocek said:

My initial reaction is the Mag 50. It's a 50RG and 6.5 in. I've got a box that sits in the bottom back corner of my wineador and is often overlooked, however every time I pull one out it's a winner. Also HDM Epicure Especial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 for the H. Upmann Mag 50 and Hoyo Epicure Especial.  :2thumbs:    

Nothing wrong with staying with what you like, unless you just feel like the need to wander and see what else is out there.  I think you may eventually wind your way back to the most flavorful, best smoking and burning vitola's, which are what you're currently smoking.  Just MHO. 

• Like 1