That unique flavour nuance you can find in no other cigar.

That unique flavour nuance you can find in no other cigar?

I was asked yesterday about peanut butter flavours in a cigar. Cuaba Divinos and Distinguidos came immediately to mind. 

later in the day I was asked about "buttery cigars"  I had to think a little longer but HDM Especial kept coming to mind. Butter and cream. 

Is there a particular flavour nuance that you can  find in only one or a select few cigars? One that you enjoy...or maybe not.  I don't particularly care if it is CC's or NC's. 

Our palates are all different but perhaps we will find some common ground :thumbsup:

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd probably have to agree that Cuaba may be the most unique of all profiles in the HSA lineups. The "peanut" flavors exist in no other marca I'm aware of.  I think the cherry/tropical fruit flav

... I miss the cigar tastes of the 90's. They cannot be replaced. I was more a believer in brand tastes back then but won't pretend to remember, who shot whom. Still smoking cigars from the 90's

I find the distinct grassy flavor in the JL 1 unique.

For me...as a new CC smoker, it's all VR. The first time I had the Unico I was confused. I wasn't sure what the hell was going on.

Admittedly I don't have that refined a palate. For reasons I won't go into here, my sense of smell is quite diminished. I imagine that has some effect on my ability to get the flavors others may taste.

Vega Robaina though...all that baking spice and barnyard comes through to me. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I'd probably have to agree that Cuaba may be the most unique of all profiles in the HSA lineups. The "peanut" flavors exist in no other marca I'm aware of. 

I think the cherry/tropical fruit flavors are pretty unique to RyJ, especially in the 90s.

The dried fig/raisin flavors found primarily in the BCJ nowadays I don't think are found in anything else. Used to be much more prevalent in Bolivar, especially the BPC and BCG, and I never really found it in the BRC and BBF.

There's a vegetal character present in RASCC that's pretty unique.

The bell pepper/paprika that exists in some Partagas, especially the PSD5, is pretty unique.

And I'd round it out with the "caramel" flavors found in Por Larranaga, particularly an aged PLPC, are pretty unique. 

• Like 4

Guest Nekhyludov

I get that very distinctive "Cuban twang" (which I don't even know how to describe properly) from Partagas Lusis in a way that I've never found elsewhere. 

That sweet, deep craziness of the HUPC and HUC1 - I reckon Rob nailed it as a "kaleidoscope."

I love it when cigars throw such a cacophony of flavors at me that I am dumbfounded and cannot pick out all of them before they morph or fade.

8 minutes ago, Lant63 said:

I get citrus in aged bolivar particularly CE. It works fabulously with the Baker cocoa and leather notes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If only HSA still made these.  Perfect size and the most flavorful complex smoke I ever enjoyed.  I preferred the BCE over the BRC in 06 when CA named the BRC Cigar of the year.    

I usually get an undertone of nutmeg when I smoke and HdM Petit Robusto. A little unusual, but not at all unpleasant. 

3 hours ago, Smallclub said:

Liquorice in the Montecristo line, specially the No.4.

This isn't one I've come across in Monte unless you're referring to the "tanginess" that they can have, which I have not tasted in Monte in a few years. 

1 hour ago, Gusmab980 said:

...the grassy notes from cohiba and Trinidad 

Not sure how much grassiness is in Trinidad anymore. It may have been present in early Trinis, but since I can remember Trinidad has become what some describe as a "doughnut & coffee" type profile. 

Cohiba is known for being grassy, but recent Cohibas seem to have much less. I haven't heard it talked about for many years now. I know Rob refers to a "lemongrass" flavor but I believe he is decribing more of a light citrus flavor and not the "grassy" flavor I associated with Cohiba.

I will say that the "grassiest" cigar I ever smoked was a Vegueros No 2 from around 1996-1997. Very pleasant, but just all the grassiness of Cohiba with none of the other Cohiba rich bean flavors (at the time) so fairly one-dimensional. But unmistakably grassy. 

• Like 1

Spirulina - Fonseca Cosacos

Saltiness - SP

Melon & Apple - SLR

Floral + Citrus at the same time - QdO

Dusty PB - Cuaba

Musky Barn - Punch

Epernay - ERDM/Monte hybrid.

I love sweet ripe plum I find in the HU RR's from time to time.

More recently the "mezzo mezzo" as you put it in T Reyes. I just taste really awesome coffee/expresso, a drop or two of cream/milk and just enough caramel stirred in to make it fabulous.

Cookie Dough in the Trinidad Reyes is the most unique for me, thought I was crazy but its in every one of them.

For most prominent throughout a marca, I find that there is a "musk" that goes through the Partagas line (or at least PSD4, Shorts, Mille Fleurs) that is unmistakably Partagas to me. A sort of earthy funk. Not quite sure how to describe it. Anyone know what i'm talking about?

I’ve only tasted it a few times, but I’m a fan of the “citrus” zing that to some, is a defect. I suspect there’s a small window in the mellowing of a cigar’s acidity when it’s still present, and seems to enhance the more basic elements of nuttiness or earthy tones.

On a more general note, there’s a very unique and common taste element that I’ve experienced in pretty much every CC, that's not found in any of the NC’s I’ve had. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s a certain “Cuban” spice element that evokes distant memories of the aromas I experienced as a teenager in a typical head shop in the late 70’s.....something of the exotic incense variety.