That unique flavour nuance you can find in no other cigar.

Now, I'm aware that most will spit their coffee out in reading this, but hear me out.    Sea Urchin.  Now this refers to a nirvana moment I had in Tsukiji fish market.  Sea Urchin when at its best/freshest is like the foie gras of the sea.   It combines the following flavour profiles  sea salt/cream/butter/sweet biscuit/ all in a single package of Umami wonder.    Now to give a very strong caviat, bad Sea Urchin, tastes overtly fishy and makes me sound like i'm mental

I'm always looking for this in a cigar SP Belicosos, Vintage JLP Cazadores, PLPC aspects of des Dieux (but dry wood tannins flavours are much more present).

• Like 2

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd probably have to agree that Cuaba may be the most unique of all profiles in the HSA lineups. The "peanut" flavors exist in no other marca I'm aware of.  I think the cherry/tropical fruit flav

... I miss the cigar tastes of the 90's. They cannot be replaced. I was more a believer in brand tastes back then but won't pretend to remember, who shot whom. Still smoking cigars from the 90's

I find the distinct grassy flavor in the JL 1 unique.

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Now, I'm aware that most will spit their coffee out in reading this, but hear me out.    Sea Urchin.  Now this refers to a nirvana moment I had in Tsukiji fish market.  Sea Urchin when at its best/freshest is like the foie gras of the sea.   It combines the following flavour profiles  sea salt/cream/butter/sweet biscuit/ all in a single package of Umami wonder.    Now to give a very strong caviat, bad Sea Urchin, tastes overtly fishy and makes me sound like i'm mental

I'm always looking for this in a cigar SP Belicosos, Vintage JLP Cazadores, PLPC aspects of des Dieux (but dry wood tannins flavours are much more present).

I didn't spit anything out (likely because I wasn't drinking at the moment), however the prospect of seeing "Sea urchin" on a flavor wheel brought a smile to my face.  The likely reaction of purists to that addition produced a bigger smile.  

• Like 2

@Signal Joe,      Yep, I can well imagine many probably think I need a palette transplant, but If you think about it, some of the the great cigar experiences many seem to communicate include phrases like   'great complexity'  'lots of transitions' 'interesting journey' 'well balanced' .Like many memorable food experiences something that walks the fine line between sweet but savoury, rich but clean, Fruity but spicy etc etc, i think a cigar that can show two different ends of a flavour spectrum, but deliver them in unison, is often a sign of a greatness.

I cant think of anything else but sea urchin that on one hand tastes of the ocean, but on another hand has a rich sweet biscuit note.  Anyway I maintain I do not have Kennel palette........Ha

• Like 1

@99callI have no issues what so ever with your description.  I often regret that my palate is not broader...however I think sea urchin may be a bridge too far.  I'm not that epicurious! ;)

The two cigars that most prominently stick out for me are:

qdo corona - lemon pound cake

ledj - there is a flavor in there I can't identify but it turns me into a fiend. One of these days I'll figure out what it is but I can't seem to replicate it in any other cigars.

7 hours ago, Smallclub said:

One could find it in aged Demi Tasse as well… along with sandal wood and a pinch of vanilla… yum…

I can believe that. I've only had a couple boxes of Demi Tasse, non with any age to them, whilst I didn't get the cardamom they were the next closest ERdM I've had to the Grandes.

16 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I’ve only tasted it a few times, but I’m a fan of the “citrus” zing that to some, is a defect. I suspect there’s a small window in the mellowing of a cigar’s acidity when it’s still present, and seems to enhance the more basic elements of nuttiness or earthy tones.

On a more general note, there’s a very unique and common taste element that I’ve experienced in pretty much every CC, that's not found in any of the NC’s I’ve had. I can’t quite put my finger on it, but it’s a certain “Cuban” spice element that evokes distant memories of the aromas I experienced as a teenager in a typical head shop in the late 70’s.....something of the exotic incense variety.

i came in just to say that.. i find it in in Upmanns the most and i love it. the only NC that i have found is Warped's La Hacienda and man i love that taste

11 hours ago, 99call said:

I cant think of anything else but sea urchin that on one hand tastes of the ocean, but on another hand has a rich sweet biscuit note.  

I've never tasted it in a cigar,  but your description of uni is spot on and your admiration of it matches mine.  Fresh sea urchin is not to be missed. 

- MG 

On 22/03/2017 at 11:00 AM, Smallclub said:

Liquorice in the Montecristo line, specially the No.4.

btw, about "citrus": to me it's almost a defect, as it implies acidity…

I hear you on this. Agree to a certain extent on taste/tongue feel aspect. 

However, have you experienced it as an aromatic/fragrant element?

I ask, as the recent Genios we had at Ken's place was so distinctly lime for me. Almost kaffir lime and very fragrant. While the mouthfeel was velvety, as in silky and creamy without the cream flavour.

As for the question above... Upmann and leather are synonymous to me.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Not sure how much grassiness is in Trinidad anymore. It may have been present in early Trinis, but since I can remember Trinidad has become what some describe as a "doughnut & coffee" type profile. 

I smoked a Trinidad vigía yesterday and I didn't have the flavor from some Coloniales and Reyes from 05.

Haven't gotten anymore ever since.

The last of the Coloniales was rich and flavor full but the Vigia was flat and somewhat flavorless.

I was making a recipe from an Iraqi friend recently, called for a bit of date and pomegranate molasses. I tasted the two separate and mixed - Immediately was back to a San Cristobal La Fuerza. I can;t remember the date of the box, but it was the perfect descriptors. 

Also, that gracious mixture of dirftwood, sea salt, caramel in Sancho Panza. Pronounced sea salt

• Like 2

On 3/21/2017 at 6:00 PM, Smallclub said:

Interesting

The only time I've ever tasted citrus, and it was a distinct orange flavor, was a 1966 two years ago. 

LOVED it. 

I'm still searching for these specific tastes that I can get out of a cigar, put my finger on it, and replicate it. Still fairly new to this.

However, the one that I've had that really sticks out is the light/mild bread taste that I've had in only 2 of my PSD4s. It's not something that I seek out and really enjoy, but I think it's pretty unique. Reminds me of this Amish restaurant that I routinely eat at that bakes the best bread I've ever eaten. 

I've had one lightly aged RASS that had some weird fruit flavors that surprised me. The rest were young and I didn't get that flavor. I bought a cab of these last year with the intent on figuring out exactly when that fruit flavor pops its head through.  Waiting until it warms up and I can go fishing to try one out of this cab. I imagine it's around the 2-3 year mark. 

There's something about a BPC that just draws me in and I enjoy. But I'm not sure of the exact flavor that it is. I just know I like it. 

19 hours ago, 99call said:

This is up there with @Warren and his "roast lamb" call, or @asmith and "cooked carrot".  I'd also think about referencing @Ken Gargett's "old lady's handbag", but many cigars were tagged with that descriptor, so it's hardly unique.

12 minutes ago, planetary said:

This is up there with @Warren and his "roast lamb" call, or @asmith and "cooked carrot".  I'd also think about referencing @Ken Gargett's "old lady's handbag", but many cigars were tagged with that descriptor, so it's hardly unique.

to the best of my knowledge, 'old lady's handbag' is a descriptor len evans came up with a very long time ago when talking about certain wines. if memory serves, they were old Bordeaux but i suspect len did not restrict himself to just Bordeaux, given len never restricted himself to anything.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jeremy Festa said:

I hear you on this. Agree to a certain extent on taste/tongue feel aspect. 

However, have you experienced it as an aromatic/fragrant element?

I ask, as the recent Genios we had at Ken's place was so distinctly lime for me. Almost kaffir lime and very fragrant. While the mouthfeel was velvety, as in silky and creamy without the cream flavour.

As for the question above... Upmann and leather are synonymous to me.  

uncle, without question. there was a real lime note through those. would never have expected it but it was very apparent.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2017 at 11:00 AM, Smallclub said:

that is a really interesting point and one that would be fascinating to take further. i'm sure scientists could enlighten us far more than i ever could. the human mind does link things. the "flavour" and/or "aroma" of citrus is, i am assuming, completely disconnected to the presence of any acidity (although perhaps if one looks at in reverse, the flavour/aroma of certain acids is citrus?) but because lemons etc do also have such a connection with acidity, we automatically link the two.

i assume i am correct in saying that there is no reason that we cannot have the flavour/aroma of citrus without any evidence of acidity. when one starts to think, there are presumably plenty of other examples. i'm sure we all do this.

anyway, back to the original topic - for me, the most obvious link is apricot in a young SLR DC. every time. strength can vary but it is always there. less so as they age. i'd suggest that everyone try one to see this but i guess that is impossible at the moment. are there any young SLR DC's in existence at the moment?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

uncle, without question. there was a real lime note through those. would never have expected it but it was very apparent.

Uncle Ha Ha

Ken you crack me up. I remember you calling Jeremy that at lunch the other day. I think he had enough of that tag at school.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, planetary said:

I still remember that roast lamb moment. I swear it tasted just like that.

• Like 2

I've never had roast lamb in a cigars, but surely someone has had a beefy note out of a Ramon Allones Extra?  I bought a box of those, really looking forward to ploughing my way through it, (hoping it would be something similar to a Party 898). OXO Beef stock cubes all the way. Interesting, but not pleasant .