That unique flavour nuance you can find in no other cigar.

Lemon sherbets in Monte 5s. My favourite cigar (I'm smoking one now) and a specific flavour I haven't come across in anything else. It's a sweet citrus rather than the tartness of a real lemon.
Maybe once you've found that certain something in a cigar's taste your brain associates it again and again, regardless of whether it's actually there. But then again, if your brain thinks it's there, it is. 4377168e1d3c2b0f1651095624cc0b2c.jpg

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd probably have to agree that Cuaba may be the most unique of all profiles in the HSA lineups. The "peanut" flavors exist in no other marca I'm aware of.  I think the cherry/tropical fruit flav

... I miss the cigar tastes of the 90's. They cannot be replaced. I was more a believer in brand tastes back then but won't pretend to remember, who shot whom. Still smoking cigars from the 90's

I find the distinct grassy flavor in the JL 1 unique.

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 2:45 AM, 99call said:

I've never had roast lamb in a cigars, but surely someone has had a beefy note out of a Ramon Allones Extra?  I bought a box of those, really looking forward to ploughing my way through it, (hoping it would be something similar to a Party 898). OXO Beef stock cubes all the way. Interesting, but not pleasant .

That would be a real bugger if you happened to be a vegetarian.

I get that BBQ Molasses profile your talking about as well in the San Cristobal EP & La Fuerza

Also like the red wine\cherry profile of the Romeo's

Another profile I really liked was the fruity and floral flavors of the La Gloria Cubana No.1 & 4.

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 11:58 AM, Warren said:

That would be a real bugger if you happened to be a vegetarian.

Confirmed.  I've been a vegetarian for about 25 years -- since college.  I still enjoy the aromas of things like BBQ and bacon, and the spice flavors of same, despite choosing not to partake.  One of my favorite snacks is what they call "veggie jerky".  All the spice character, but not the meaty taste or texture.  

And simple cooked meat, like roast beef or a non-spicy stew or something -- no, do not like. :) 

• Like 1

... I miss the cigar tastes of the 90's. They cannot be replaced.

I was more a believer in brand tastes back then but won't pretend to remember, who shot whom. Still smoking cigars from the 90's is a sure reminder. While a lot of cigars in the 2K's are really wonderful, I guess I just miss the firm, thick tastes of 90's cigars. Not all was great about them of course. Some were so filled with tannins that they could make you green... But that is another story.

Having just smoked a glorious 90's Partagas Tres Petit Coronas I picked up in a trade, it brought back memories of why these were always better than Party Shorts. No it was not unique, no urchin or lemon grass. No pickled pigs feet, or 100 year old egg... just a thick rich flavor that has always been wholly Cuban cigar.

For me, I can link just about any taste with a cigar that I have smoked a dozen boxes of. I don't see anything unique about any cigar anymore. The fact that they are individuals is what tends to interest me the most. I just wish they all still tasted more like cigars did in the 90's!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 3

Well folks, as sexy as it isn't, it's all chemistry and how our brains perceive certain organic, aromatic/flavor compounds. Particular chemical groups such as aldehydes, ketones, alcohols and many more, result in our brains perceiving flavors linked to more familiar smells/tastes (strawberries for instance - furaneol, ethyl methylphenylglycidate) that we encounter all the time in our environments (food, bev, smoke, perfume, etc). Certain chemical compounds that exist in tobacco are likely the exact same that occur naturally in many other natural or synthetic flavors/aromas we're familiar with, therefore, we taste/pereive these in the smoke. All of this resulting in unique perceptions/sensations that make up our own, unique palate "DNA" :)

Here's some interesting info...sorry for the wiki link...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 2

1 hour ago, awkwardPause said:

Well folks, as sexy as it isn't, it's all chemistry and how our brains perceive certain organic, aromatic/flavor compounds. Particular chemical groups such as aldehydes, ketones, alcohols and many more, result in our brains perceiving flavors linked to more familiar smells/tastes (strawberries for instance - furaneol, ethyl methylphenylglycidate) that we encounter all the time in our environments (food, bev, smoke, perfume, etc). Certain chemical compounds that exist in tobacco are likely the exact same that occur naturally in many other natural or synthetic flavors/aromas we're familiar with, therefore, we taste/pereive these in the smoke. All of this resulting in unique perceptions/sensations that make up our own, unique palate "DNA" :)

Here's some interesting info...sorry for the wiki link...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aroma_compound

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Great post.    As far as the division between science and the emotional. I would be interested to see if anyone would equate any discernible percentage of enjoyment of cigars to it being evocative of Cuba.  What I'm clumsily trying to get to, is, Is how much of the enjoyment of the cigar, is the cigar itself, and how much is the romantic part of your brain or indeed nicotine addiction.  

Effectively how much of the pleasure of cigars is imagination? how much is physical sensory enjoyment?. Personally I find a gain a huge amount of pleasure from any product, thinking how its made, and where its come from (apart from sausages), even before I've sampled it. Don't get me wrong I've had some great cigars, and the cigars themselves have been fantastic, with no romanticising required, but I do think I've probably enjoyed a fair few mediocre cigars, just because of all the other pleasurable feelings they evoke.

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/03/2017 at 8:32 PM, 99call said:

Now, I'm aware that most will spit their coffee out in reading this, but hear me out.    Sea Urchin.  Now this refers to a nirvana moment I had in Tsukiji fish market.  Sea Urchin when at its best/freshest is like the foie gras of the sea.   It combines the following flavour profiles  sea salt/cream/butter/sweet biscuit/ all in a single package of Umami wonder.    Now to give a very strong caviat, bad Sea Urchin, tastes overtly fishy and makes me sound like i'm mental

I'm always looking for this in a cigar SP Belicosos, Vintage JLP Cazadores, PLPC aspects of des Dieux (but dry wood tannins flavours are much more present).

interesting. had not seen this before but have just posted a separate thread about getting a strong and obvious grilled fish note in a san cristobel la fuerza.

5 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

interesting. had not seen this before but have just posted a separate thread about getting a strong and obvious grilled fish note in a san cristobel la fuerza.

Sshhhhhhhh the flavour Nazi's are listening Ken!  You'll be sat in a chair with your eyes peeled open like Malcolm Mcdowell in Clockwork Orange, and shown pictures of leather, and dark chocolate until you've reformed your ways.  

In addition to your desire to have rollers names on boxes, I would like to get a mini map on the box detailing the area of the island where the tobacco was taken from. I realise this has zero possibility of happening, and that the great likelihood is that a single cigar probably has multiple origin tobacco in it. but what I'm getting at is, surely the Semi and Vuela Abajo have more exposure to inland driven sea spray to the crops , than the Remedios area. 

Personally I would find this more interesting than any RE or LE. A bit like if you've ever had single estate dark chocolate, you get something truly individual

gg.jpg

• Like 1

The R&J cherry hit. No other cigar hits like it, seems the smaller the ring gauge the more distinct the cherry flavor.

Also I find the RyJ cold draw to be superior to cold draws with other marcas

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk