Demise of RyJ marca

RyJ I find to be pretty Jekyll and Hyde. When they are on they can be fantastic. But too often they can be rancid to my tastes. Perhaps they suffer a bit from overproduction? There are a lot of available vitolas within RyJ and most seem readily available at any time. Whenever I look at Duty Free in an airport it is normally the most represented brand there.

1 hour ago, BonVivant said:

Anything RyJ after 2005 is just packaging with RyJ bands/boxes. IMO

No offense but...

Uff that is a bit strong statement there. Knowing they had a beautiful comeback with their kinda unique flavour profile. Yes, the cherry. The Ex no4 started in '13 and Churchills and all the variations of it were and are more than great. It has appeared  in the Cazadores too. I can't see it as an ryj packaged thing with no soul...

not for me at least :)

• Like 1

RyJ surely is a brand where you'd need to have a closer and differentiated look at.

That said - a box of '09 Cazadores is among the best cigars I am currently smoking. To generalize on that period means heavily cutting short on the marca!

On 3/23/2017 at 1:15 PM, stunod said:

I have to say that I have been LOVING the Churchills and believe it or not the petit churchills. Killers. 

I have to agree with the petit ones... around a year ago I had bought 3ers of each ch versions for a taste comparison for myself. And I thought I would hate the wide and the petit...but it was all the way around. Loved the petit and the wide, not so the short however it was not bad at all means! But did not buy any since so my words on that are kinda thin...

8 hours ago, subport said:

No offense but...

Uff that is a bit strong statement there. Knowing they had a beautiful comeback with their kinda unique flavour profile. Yes, the cherry. The Ex no4 started in '13 and Churchills and all the variations of it were and are more than great. It has appeared  in the Cazadores too. I can't see it as an ryj packaged thing with no soul...

not for me at least :)

26321682654_05ebe35c39_o.gif

Last time I saw, it was 7th Feb.. Wide churchills..

Cazadores - 15th Feb. And they're good uns too, I tried one already.

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

On 3/23/2017 at 11:25 AM, subport said:

I have to agree with the petit ones... around a year ago I had bought 3ers of each ch versions for a taste comparison for myself. And I thought I would hate the wide and the petit...but it was all the way around. Loved the petite and the wide, not so the short however it was not bad at all means! But did not buy any since so my words on that are kinda thin...

Agreed. Not a fan of the shorts. I like to age the wides. Go lucky, picked up a box of 08's from the 24:24 last year. Superb .

Two things with RyJ that matter to me are the peaks and valleys of quality across the marca year-to-year and the fact that most RyJ models have moved toward a much lighter profile. I wouldn't hesitate to buy them if the quality is really there but they are so patchy. And as the lighter profiles don't appeal to me I'd just assume not risk the coin.

I will say that the best RyJ I've had in many years was a box of Sports Largos from 11 or 12. I failed to record the code. I bought a subsequent box of SL with code ALT OCT 12 and they weren't as good. Since then I've sampled the Belvederes, PC, Churchill, Wide Churchill, Cazadores and Ex 4 and been fairly unimpressed with them all. I did smoke a Dukes EL around 2013 that I found very enjoyable but definitely a lighter profile. I heard the Cedros De Luxe LCDH was a milder smoke, so I've stayed away, but I'd be willing to give the Capuletos a shot. I'm just more interested in regular production.

For me, RyJ have always been part of my regular rotation.  I love the Ex#4, the belicosos and the #1 Cedros, and the 2001 LE robustos were quite simply stupendous smokes.  Taste aside, together with Montecristo and H Upmann, the RyJ have always been a quintessential heritage brand ... perhaps that is their problem today.  Perhaps a brand makeover might be in order ...  

In which context, two curious facts:

firstly, that for some reason, RyJ do not seem to find favour with the Powers That Decide on regional edition releases.  I cannot think f a reason why not.  

Secondly, I have discovered that in Australia they seem to be the favoured brand to stock for general tobacconists.  Most stores don't stock cigars at all, but when they do, they very much tend to be #1 - 3 in tubos.  For me, this indicates an issue with market placement.  

So I was thinking about this thread while smoking an RyJ Wide Churchill HQ/PSP today. The first I pulled from the box had this creamy cherry flavor over a toasted tobacco and was brilliant. Today's was on the whole quite bland. Toasted tobacco, quite meaty, probably 3-4 puffs over the whole cigar had a slight red berry sweetness to them but the stick looked identical to every other one in the box and the first which was splendid. Is inconsistency that much of an issue with these? Even when you get them with the rosado wrappers and great construction is there just quality variance across the rest of the blend? It wasn't bad by any means, just scores below the first one I tried.

21 minutes ago, SticksAndSticks said:

So I was thinking about this thread while smoking an RyJ Wide Churchill HQ/PSP today. The first I pulled from the box had this creamy cherry flavor over a toasted tobacco and was brilliant. Today's was on the whole quite bland. Toasted tobacco, quite meaty, probably 3-4 puffs over the whole cigar had a slight red berry sweetness to them but the stick looked identical to every other one in the box and the first which was splendid. Is inconsistency that much of an issue with these? Even when you get them with the rosado wrappers and great construction is there just quality variance across the rest of the blend? It wasn't bad by any means, just scores below the first one I tried.

Inconsistency is there. Yes, it is an issue. We can generalize and say it is an issue with every single hand made cigar. However some are better some are worse in that case. Some has a dud out of a box, some has one out of 5 boxes or you can have a crappy box or... you get the point. 

Also note that you can be yourself the issue at some level. I mean your palate is not always the same. It depends on what did you eat, what did you drink, you had flu or other sinus infections even your mood...etc etc... we love in the cigar world when all the stars are aligned. It happens. Unfortunately not every single time we light up a cigar. But we keep looking for those moments. That's the beauty of it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, gweilgi said:

firstly, that for some reason, RyJ do not seem to find favour with the Powers That Decide on regional edition releases.  I cannot think f a reason why not.  

The global and niche brands are not a part of the RE program.  

11 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

The global and niche brands are not a part of the RE program.  

D'oh ... of course.  Must have had a senior moment there....