Music To Smoke To

Last eve I was smoking a wonderful stick but in rather uncomfortable surroundings. Despite the discomfort, the combination of the smoke and the music I was listening to (Thievery Corporation,) created in me a truly zen like state.

I know there has been other posts about music before, but I was hoping for members to add their favourite music to smoke to. Please only include the music when its just you and the cigar, the tunes that you use to get to your zen like state of peace, relaxation and reflection.

Perhaps we could get a spotify playlist going? FOH Chill?

Con A.jpg

• Like 1

Miles Davis, any era

Sometimes it's Iron Maiden or Front 242/Skinny Puppy/Ministry (Industrial trifecta, and one of the singers is Cuban. Yes, I actually achieve zen with them). Iron Maiden was my go to study music when in school.

e

• Like 2

I'll be the first to say Cuban music. Perfect match. I actually was a big fan of Cuba's music before I got into cigars and actually "snuck" down to Cuba during college purely for the music. Probably one of my favorite musicians is Ry Cooder who was instrumental (pun intended) in bringing out Buena Vista Social Club. My little photo on here is actually an old photo of Ibrahim Ferrer, one of  BV's members. 

I'd actually expand it to include a broader mix of Caribbean music as I/we also listen to a fair amount of reggae, ska, and alot of Dominican stuff (bachata, etc.) 

Just seems to bring the mood to where I want it. 

• Like 1

My go to is usually Jerry Garcia Band/Grateful Dead or Widespread Panic.  That's generally what I listen to regardless of whether or not I'm smoking a cigar.  Sometimes I like to throw on some Ratatat or Poolside and just zone out with a cigar on a sunny afternoon.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, stunod said:

You stole my thunder. Also Dean Martin.

Can't go wrong Deano!  I'm also partial to Bobby Darin while burning Cuba's crops. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MooseAMuffin said:

There are two playlists on Spotify that I love to listen to while smoking, both Jazz: Jazzy Dinner and Late Night Jazz.

Sometimes I'll listen to one named Coffe Table Jazz but those other two are my main ones. Enjoy!

Yeah the late night Jazz is nice. Haven't heard Jazzy Dinner yet but will check out - cheers 

Miles Davis, second that notion.  Also Charlie Parker, or Dave Brubeck Quartet. 

Moving away from traditional jazz, I'd recommend some Pat Metheny/Jaco Pastorius (Bright Size Life is the album, really good stuff).

Then there's my shameless plug for Jerry Garcia Music.  To smoke to, I prefer Legion of Mary for it's jazzier element, and there's always a place for 1974 Grateful Dead Music.  Eyes of the World never sounded better than it did in that time period IMO. 

• Like 1

Any jazz, smooth jazz, acid or classic jazz makes it for me. Love salsa and Caribbean chill for the feeling. And I must admit that I truly like Thievery Corporation but for some reason never listened to it while smoking. Will try :)

I like to listen to Govt Mule’s live recording “Dark side of the Mule” - a well executed medley of Pink Floyd songs that lasts through most cigars.

Or anything Joe Bonamassa.

• Like 2

Motörhead. But I'm biased and will listen to them in almost any situation. BTW they weren't just nose merchants and did do ballads occasionally (very occasionally admittedly). I like to pick out the bass lines and concentrate on them - very Zen and relaxing I assure you,

Thunder & Lightening '75-'15

• Like 1

My musical tastes are relatively diverse, but for smoking and achieving the relaxed feeling I'm going for... I opt for Jazz/Blues, or classic country. Classic country has a way of bringing me to a place where I could drift off to Neverland without trying. 

Joe Bonamassa... modern day blues virtuoso in the stripes of SRV - The Master.

Gary Hoey... a decent guitarist also, with some blues soul. 

BadBadNotGood... a little more jazzy, easy to zone out to.

• Like 1