I was aware that Quai D’Orsay was going to get a new band and new sizes.  A review came out yesterday from a site that states the blend will change too.  In this reviewers opinion, he states the new blend is more intense and rich.  In his opinion the change is an improvement!  Has anyone else had a sample of the new banded product and can you comment on the blend?  

I want to give credit where it is due so I have included the review link.  If for any reason this is consider bad etiquette please let me know and I will remove the link.

http://www.cigarinspector.com/quai-d-orsay/review-quai-dorsay-new-coronas-claro

Hmmm... this has me a bit startled  I hope they haven't messed with the blend.

The reviewer seems more enamored with the band than the actual smoke. In addition, I'm not sure the reviewer understands what 'claro' means if stating that the wrapper in their review is claro in appearance. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, fabes said:

Hmmm... this has me a bit startled  I hope they haven't messed with the blend.

The reviewer seems more enamored with the band than the actual smoke. In addition, I'm not sure the reviewer understands what 'claro' means if stating that the wrapper in their review is claro in appearance. 

This.

His cigar looks darker than claro to me.  Imperiales are vitola I think of has having darker wrappers for QdO.  All the corona boxes I have smoked were all lighter than what he had in the picture.

Cool to see the marca getting a reboot.  New bands look interesting.  Habanos needs to be more innovative though.  Promoting marca with other brands and influencers to reinforce luxury, sophistication, and French history of the marca.  Habanos needs help big time on all their campaigns. 

• Like 1

I do know that I love the old QdO that I have once they have some years on them....

But I also know that a couple weeks ago I had the new Picadores and loved it more....so take that for whatever it is worth :)

• Like 1

I would be interested in Smallclub's persctive on the new QdO once you have smoked a few.  I make the assumption from your location that you have had extensive experience with the QdO line.  You mentioned earlier that the RE versions are a bit better.  Would like to know if you think the new band version is also a new blend and if it reminds you of the RE blend.  If you don't mind. ?

I only had a handful of the Royal Belicoso but from the few I had you could certainly tell they had a different 'richer' blend to reg. production QdO. They seemed to have less of that 'green' vegetal flavour early on too, which to me made them more approachable younger. 'If' the blend has changed I can see the reasoning why, I think it would prove more popular to a larger section of smokers.  Whether they have or not  will be easy to tell as we'll be able compare like for like in the very recent 'old band' (haha) Coronas and the supposed new ones.

Tooooo funny....I am at work and was rushing to read/reply.....and didn't read/think carefully enough.

No wonder the band in my minds eye was red/gold....I was about how it looked different than the normal gold/white PL and just registered the "new banded/changed taste" comment.

Sorry on that.

I do love aged QdO that much is true :)

• 5 months later...

So.  Does this only apply to the new additions or will the Coronas' blend get re-jigged? I certainly hope not.  The original QdO's are something unique and special in Habanos' portfolio; which is why they're screwing with it. :P  The new band is cool though.  

QdO Corona pleases many different smokers.  They should be more popular than they are, but the occasional smoker doesn't see QdO like they do Bolivar, Montecristo and the like...  "What the heck is QdO, is that really a Cuban cigar?"

From what I've had of the newly banded product and the regionals I agree are meant to be more approachable with less time down.  Personally I absolutely love the original line but only with 5 years plus down so it does make sense to me for a sales boost to produce the newer releases to be better younger even though it kills me as I love the classics.  

15 hours ago, oliverdst said:

I heard the new line will be launched in France in the beggining of october.

Perfect timing as the wife and I just booked a trip to Paris the third week of the month. She already knows we will not just be shopping for shoes

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm buying a tenner of the QDO 54's off the secondary market. I read a review somewhere and it said it was a good cigar.  I have smoked the corona, so I know it is a pretty good cigar, so taking a blind chance on these 54's. Anybody tasted one of these yet?