HU Sir Winston: PTR NOV 16

Found a box--same code and date as well.  Looks like they're making a reappearance potentially.  Would make sense on the every 2-3 year schedule.    

• Like 1

Interesting shades of wrapper.  Goes to show why they've been scarce.  Im sure they'll taste just fine, just not too often you see such mixed boxes.  

Yes very interesting for sure. That one single on the left almost looks like a claro green wrapper.
You are probably right, they will still taste like heaven.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh they are definitely greenish and the wrappers are definitely rugged looking. They're not quite as green to the natural eye, but there's a fair amount of spotting on a few too that you don't pick up as much in the photo. They are ugly looking suckers. I have actually found some SW with some iffy wrappers before. I'll let you guys know if they taste like heaven. I usually smoke the ugliest ones first anyway! 

• Like 4

I'm elated that this has made a comeback. Hey, who knows, they're probably the Gran Reserva leftovers, but even then I'm still hopeful that they end up smoking as fabulous as ever.

I had a chat with Alex Groom last week about the current diminishing stock of regular production Churchills and Double Coronas last week. With the upcoming deletion of the Vegas Robaina Don Alejandro and Bolivar Corona Gigantes, it is down to 10. This includes vitolas such as the Saint Luis Rey Double Coronas, Quai D’Orsay Imperiales and San Cristobal de La Habana El Morro which haven't been seen for some time. It's heartwarming to know the H.Upmann Sir Winston is available again!

• Like 1

Never have had a box but I thought the Sir Winstons came in an outer cardboard box?  I ask because if it does, I'm surprised to see the actual wooden box with a factory date stamp and not on the outer cardboard box. :huh:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chris12381 said:

Never have had a box but I thought the Sir Winstons came in an outer cardboard box?  I ask because if it does, I'm surprised to see the actual wooden box with a factory date stamp and not on the outer cardboard box. :huh:

Think there is a stamp on both. I know my actual box is stamped

I haven't had SWs, love to try. But I wouldn't let the greenish wrappers bother me. I've had some fantastic Punch SS2s in years past with greenish wrappers, and they tasted as good as any I've ever had. Sometimes the ugliest sticks taste the best, and I'm not sure why, maybe because my expectations are low?? 

1 hour ago, chris12381 said:

My boxes have come in the regular wooden box.  Unaware of a cardboard box. 

1 hour ago, Philc2001 said:

I haven't had SWs, love to try. But I wouldn't let the greenish wrappers bother me. I've had some fantastic Punch SS2s in years past with greenish wrappers, and they tasted as good as any I've ever had. Sometimes the ugliest sticks taste the best, and I'm not sure why, maybe because my expectations are low?? 

I think people put a bit too much stock in aesthetics sometimes, I've had gorgeous wrappers on steaming turds and rustic looking, discolored cigars that were gems. 

With that being said, the variance in wrapper color tells me they have severely limited stock of the necessary wrappers for SW.

57 minutes ago, JohnInCleveland said:

I think people put a bit too much stock in aesthetics sometimes, I've had gorgeous wrappers on steaming turds and rustic looking, discolored cigars that were gems. 

With that being said, the variance in wrapper color tells me they have severely limited stock of the necessary wrappers for SW.

Agreed, I have had the same experience.  Maybe someone who has taken a factory tour can enlighten me.  Isn't color sorting the last stage of the packaging process?  While I don't believe it will affect the taste I thought they made an effort to at least arrange the cigars from darkest to lightest (or vice versa) in individual boxes.   

BTW still a very nice pick up El Hoze! 

4 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Obviously constrained by the availability of quality wrapper...

Right--isn't that the whole reason they wait 2-3 years between production cycles? And still can't turn up any quality wrapper? :rolleyes:

SW do typically come in a cardboard wrapper/box. And the date is stamped on both. 

IMG_5481.JPG

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, El Hoze said:

SW do typically come in a cardboard wrapper/box. And the date is stamped on both. 

IMG_5481.JPG

It's been brought to my attention by El Hoze and ZDubbya that my Winnies came with cardboard boxes on them.  Like a 6 year old on christmas morning, I didn't pay much attention to the wrapping...I stand corrected ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JohnS said:

Hey, who knows, they're probably the Gran Reserva leftovers,

This is an interesting point.  I have to say I hope @Elpresidente chimes in here, but I've never seen Winnie's with wrappers that varied in color.  I've only looked at maybe 20-30 boxes of them so my sample size is fairly small.  I am not saying they won't smoke great and I am not disagreeing with the guys above who have said they've smoked great cigars with varied wrapper shades but I am very surprised by what I see there.  

That being said I do wonder if John is on to something.  If they age the leaf for 5 years for Gran Reservas surely they would have some varied shades of wrapper stock within the Gran Reserva tobacco.  It make sense with a wrapper shortage to go ahead and use that tobacco for regular stock Winnie's instead of on GRs.  No way they let anyone have a SW GR at the festival with a candela wrapper.  For arguments sake these are the SWGRs I have in my possession now (but not for long).  Notice the 3 different shades on these.  If you boxed these up it would probably look like what El Hoze has.  I would say JohnS theory is plausible.  But I suppose anything is possible with HSA.  

IMG_0003.JPG

• Like 2

John we totally forgive you! I think I have some boxes where I didn't get the cardboard. I generally toss the cardboard on SW (these were headed to fhe trash before the photo) but on some of the special guys I keep the cardboard box. 

• Like 2