Two crops for the first time in 124 years according to Carlos Robaina

happened last year, according to this: 

"While all Cuban crops have suffered, delicate tobacco plants are especially vulnerable. Rains have wiped out production at some plantations and severely damaged others. In response, tobacco farmers are replanting now, out of season, in hopes of salvaging the 2015-2016 harvest."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-cigars-idUSKCN0V62GK

"The weather wasn’t cooperating in Cuba’s Vuelta Abajo tobacco-growing region during the 2015-16 tobacco season. Heavy rains this past winter meant some farmers in western Pinar del Río province lost their crops in soaked fields and had to hastily replant."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article92667462.html

1 hour ago, foursite12 said:

I can't even imagine what the aroma in that room must be like.

It was pretty special along with the steel and wood door getting into that room! :o

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, BonVivant said:

happened last year, according to this: 

"While all Cuban crops have suffered, delicate tobacco plants are especially vulnerable. Rains have wiped out production at some plantations and severely damaged others. In response, tobacco farmers are replanting now, out of season, in hopes of salvaging the 2015-2016 harvest."

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-cuba-usa-cigars-idUSKCN0V62GK

"The weather wasn’t cooperating in Cuba’s Vuelta Abajo tobacco-growing region during the 2015-16 tobacco season. Heavy rains this past winter meant some farmers in western Pinar del Río province lost their crops in soaked fields and had to hastily replant."

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/world/americas/cuba/article92667462.html

I understand these articles are related to the strong rain that destroyed plantations and after that they had to re-sow.

Not sure but what Robaina said is there was another crop after the usual one. Not sure. 

3 hours ago, oliverdst said:

I understand these articles are related to the strong rain that destroyed plantations and after that they had to re-sow.

Not sure but what Robaina said is there was another crop after the usual one. Not sure. 

From what I understood second crops had been planted by some farmers after the November/December 2016 harvests, which had been corroborated by more than a few people. This second harvest was finished a few weeks ago. Some farmers had delayed planting altogether until January 2017. Apparently Robaina is saying there were more plantings in Feb or March 17? A bit unclear...

The weather has been absolutely flawless for the last 6 months though, so I guess make hay while the sun shines...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SignalJoe said:

2019/2020 should be a bumper crop for cigars of all vitolas.  

Let's wait and see.  They may plough the extra leaf into more anejados, RE and LE products rather than general production runs.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SignalJoe said:

2019/2020 should be a bumper crop for cigars of all vitolas.  

Tobacco from late 2016/early 2017 harvests should start appearing in production in early 2018 through 2019. Some volado filler and binder and, importantly, some wrapper may start to be used as early as very late 2017. But the seco & ligero filler won't start being used to roll until early 2019 through early 2020.

Based on the less-than-ideal 2015-2016 harvests, quality may get worse before it gets better. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a bit of a dip in quality in 2017 production that gets back on track beginning early 2018. Fortunately, I think we have some great cigars to look forward to starting in 2018 and carrying through to 2020.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Blakes said:

I wonder if the tobacco from the second crop will differ in quality given the soil wouldn't have had the usual rest before replanting the next season.  

During good growing seasons, the planting of a second crop is not new on some fincas. They need a ready water supply to pull it off be it underground or a stream running close by that they can access. 

• Like 1

On 3/25/2017 at 3:05 PM, NSXCIGAR said:

From what I understood second crops had been planted by some farmers after the November/December 2016 harvests, which had been corroborated by more than a few people. This second harvest was finished a few weeks ago. Some farmers had delayed planting altogether until January 2017. Apparently Robaina is saying there were more plantings in Feb or March 17? A bit unclear...

The weather has been absolutely flawless for the last 6 months though, so I guess make hay while the sun shines...

Correct, according to Carlos, their 2nd crop is about waist high at the present time and will be picked sometime in April.  Also this "2nd crop" was only being grown on a special section on the farm.  I did not ask how large the crop was on this parcel of land they were using for this extra crop.

Carlos also chuckled and told me "maybe we will have more Behikes", as he knew I liked them a lot.

• Like 2