My Havana Experience Mar 24 - 28

Great writeup! It feels like I was almost there. :D  As a side story to the "Americans".  While in Partagas, we were interrupted by a New Yorker looking for some advice on how to light up his cigar.  He had an RyJ Cedros No 2.  Had asked us if he should cut both ends.  And we actually instructed him to remove the cedar wrapped around the cigar before lighting it.  John set him straight and got him on his way.  Being the consummate Canadians, we did this all without a snicker or eye roll, figuring this guy was really new to this and wanted to experience the finer things of Cuban life. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, bundwallah said:

Great writeup! It feels like I was almost there. :D  As a side story to the "Americans".  While in Partagas, we were interrupted by a New Yorker looking for some advice on how to light up his cigar.  He had an RyJ Cedros No 2.  Had asked us if he should cut both ends.  And we actually instructed him to remove the cedar wrapped around the cigar before lighting it.  John set him straight and got him on his way.  Being the consummate Canadians, we did this all without a snicker or eye roll, figuring this guy was really new to this and wanted to experience the finer things of Cuban life. 

One does have to wonder how the shop staff are doing with the major influx of new cigar smokers. 

Excellent write up John boy! OK, what the deal with the party trick?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Great write up and I would agree with all of it from our trip in early March.

Can you list the resturants you went to if you remember. I will be going back this fall or next spring with some buddies who love good food and while I remember a couple of great place I went, I am always looking for more.

Thanks for posting

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, 1LegLance said:

Great write up and I would agree with all of it from our trip in early March.

Can you list the resturants you went to if you remember. I will be going back this fall or next spring with some buddies who love good food and while I remember a couple of great place I went, I am always looking for more.

Thanks for posting

I was with John on this trip.  :D  We had most of our meal at either El Aljibe or La Terraza with the odd Cubano sandwich at the Hotel Nacional.  It's hard to go wrong at either place.

• Like 1

I definitely recognize the food from La Terazza. Octopus, lobster, lamb shank - we had the same! Nice write-up

• Like 2

Good to know...

We really enjoyed La Cathadral over by Melia Cohiba on 8 and off Linea and also really like El Zajan (sp?) which was near the Police Fort in Habana Vieja.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bundwallah said:

Wow, good thing you all were there for this New Yorker. Because I've seen so many astounding things people are untrained for I take nothing for granted. Whenever I offered Fonsecas (Cuban ones) to people, I always just disregarded possibly insulting their intelligence and would say to them, "You know to take the white wrapper off before you smoke it, don't you?" And so far, I've never had any negative huffs or puffs or bristles of "WWELLL!!!" from anybody yet.

• Like 1

Wow great write-up.  Darn we just missed each other as we just came back on the 24th! The first day we got there on the 18th was PACKED downtown Havana with 2 cruise ships anchored! It settled down mid-week.  Only ONE obnoxious American we experienced in our favorite bar and grill (KiloMeter Zero) who actually complained to one of the band members as to why their breaks were so long. He came back to his table and blurted out "guess they don't like to make money in here"....:angry:

Thanks for the report! 

Edit. Also thanks for the large ring gauge trend. When I was talking with Carlos Robaina, he stated he's hearing there's going to be a Behike 60! We shall see,

• Like 1

5 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Superb write-up :clap:

Thank you Rob! High praise :)

2 hours ago, jrusso14 said:

Well done. Sounds like you had a good time. Care to elaborate on the exceptional cigars you had when you were down there?

Most of them I can't talk about (super secret squirrel sauce). The regular product stuff was smoking well, most of the other stuff I smoked I brought with me because I was more hunting for gems than buying to smoke while down there.

• Like 2

John,

good to see ( and hear "mi amor cubano" in the background ) that you'all are still loyal to that lil' cigar place  .... :D
I am happy you had some good cigars there ... :wub:

Read you stayed at Hotel Colina - right across the street from it is an old white mansion that has a great rum selection, Cubapasion.
Check it out next time - I guess that is the best thing Hotel Colina has to offer :P

http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/belgians-in-havana-nr-2-emrah-and-cuba-pasion/#prettyPhoto[8702]/9/

http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/belgians-in-havana-nr-2-emrah-and-cuba-pasion/

• Like 2

2 hours ago, nino said:

Read you stayed at Hotel Colina - right across the street from it is an old white mansion that has a great rum selection, Cubapasion.
Check it out next time - I guess that is the best thing Hotel Colina has to offer :P

http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/belgians-in-havana-nr-2-emrah-and-cuba-pasion/#prettyPhoto[8702]/9/

http://flyingcigar.de/startseite/belgians-in-havana-nr-2-emrah-and-cuba-pasion/

Hey Nino! Yes the Colina will be the source of many stories shared with mojitos in the future. Thanks for the heads up on the Cubapasion, we will definitely have to check it out. I think we're looking to see if we can gather people for November.

Always love your write ups btw.

• Like 2

Great write up, "Jhon"! (did you ever get your jar mishap sorted?) 

Loved reading it, felt like I was back in Havana again.  You certainly did it right!  My awesome experience in November haunts me, and I hope to go back sooner rather than later - we'll see how if my wallet and "the needs of the service" actually allow me to go before the decade is out!

La Terraza's Octopus and Lamb Leg - I could eat nothing else for a week in Havana and be absolutely satisfied.  Remarkable food!

Cheers @Avrus!

• Like 1

Another highly enjoyable trip with the boys, and some mind blowing cigars we've had the good fortune to try. On top of it all, I got to find my "Dante's". Too bad I ran out of space...

• Like 3

John,

good to see ( and hear "mi amor cubano" in the background ) that you'all are still loyal to that lil' cigar place  ....
I am happy you had some good cigars there ... :wub:

Check it out next time - I guess that is the best thing Hotel Colina has to offer

Great information Nino. A couple of times in the afternoon while sitting on the patio at the Colina having a cigar and waiting for the group to gather I was thinking two things:

1. That white mansion looks interesting.
2. It has lots of shade on the patio.

Instead of crossing the street we roasted in the sun or made a mad dash for it if a table in the corner with shade opened up at The Colina.

Next time I will cross the street.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, Avrus said:

Hey Nino! Yes the Colina will be the source of many stories shared with mojitos in the future. Thanks for the heads up on the Cubapasion, we will definitely have to check it out. I think we're looking to see if we can gather people for November.

Always love your write ups btw.

If you're staying at the Colina again, try to visit the Napoleon Museum if you have 2 cuc and and hour to spare. It's 200 yards away.

It's an unbelievable collection in what was once somebody's house. Possibly my favourite house in the world.

• Like 3