Upmann Connoisseur A

To me, they are a high quality cigar. I think Rob refers to them as between the Conn1 and SW. Upmann sources top-grade tobacco for this cigar. I've been needing to buy a box, but have been smoking from a random 5'er of original releases from '13. The next time the pop up, I'm snagging a box. On another note, I can't wait to try the B.

I have a SEP 15 box that I bought blind. Cigars smell fantastic, construction is perfect and every time I light one I'm underwhelmed. I've been checking back every few months and I keep getting glimpses of what they can be, but they're not there yet. I'm not sure if it's a time issue or a quality one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Connie A seems to be very consistently good, to the point where I'd consider a blind buy. One of the very few cigars I can't recall seeing any negative reviews for, and I'm not sure there's any other cigar I can say that about for it's entire run. HSA is really putting some effort into this cigar, and they deserve big time credit. The few I've smoked delivered for me as well, and they were blind buy singles.

I haven't seen any up on the 24:24 recently, so maybe I'd shoot Rob a message and ask him to put some up soon? His prices tend to be quite aggressive for them, especially for the HQ/Hand Picked. If he's offering them, I'd prefer to get them from him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dmpotocek said:

I have a SEP 15 box that I bought blind. Cigars smell fantastic, construction is perfect and every time I light one I'm underwhelmed. I've been checking back every few months and I keep getting glimpses of what they can be, but they're not there yet. I'm not sure if it's a time issue or a quality one.

This is literally the first underwhelming review of a Connie A I've seen. Very unusual. These seem to be ready to rock fresh, so perhaps you got a real flukey bad box. 

I will say I did sense some down time would improve the examples I've had, but they still came in at a solid 92-93 for me.

• Like 1

I bought a box and have loved every one of them!  I can't describe it as well as some here but to me it was a rich and satisfying smoke.  A bit big of a ring gauge for me, I prefer 48 or less, but a great smoke from the ones I have have tried.  I think it is an early 2015 box but not sure.

• Like 2

This is literally the first underwhelming review of a Connie A I've seen. Very unusual. These seem to be ready to rock fresh, so perhaps you got a real flukey bad box. 

I will say I did sense some down time would improve the examples I've had, but they still came in at a solid 92-93 for me.

That's what I'm thinking. I've seen nothing but positive reviews, and like I said they look and smell great. I never have burn issues and the draw is always good. Im sure it's either me, or my individual box. I might get some singles if I have an opportunity so I can expand my sample size.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

This is literally the first underwhelming review of a Connie A I've seen. Very unusual.

I have had one around a year ago. Lub feb 14 box. But it was only one underfilled cigar in a box and wasnt good at all. The rest of them are more than fantastic

• Like 1

Got a 1/4 box from the Prez on a day when he a had a bunch of 1/4 box options. Nice way to try some new stuff. I have had 2 of them so far and they were really good. Haven't decided if I think they are worth the price but that means they might be?

Second that, I got a 1/4 box from Rob as well. Very nice aroma and smooth almost rosado wrappers. I've only smoked one and it was a B+ experience, maybe i'm judging a bit hard because I had such high expectations. That being said they are young and the foundation for something great is there without a doubt. They sound like they have been consistent so that mitigates some of the risk buying blind, but still a risk nonetheless. If I was in the market for a box, I would wait for them to come up on 24:24 but there are many factors that play into availability and patience there.  

One of my favorite cigars. Like the size, like the construction. Carmel,shortbread,complex. Got it all.

I have not bought this one blind. For me, if I'm paying over $300 for a box, I want to know what the quality is.

Thats not saying their going to be great smokes, but it puts the odds in my favor. 

If you get a box of say Monte 4's and you open them and they look like crap you will be bumbed. But if  you buy a box of Cohiba Sig VI and they look like crap, you get sick to your stomach.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Same here.  IMO, they are that happy rarity of a cigar that is as smokeable out of the box as it is with a bit of age.  When they first came out, I bought a few singles and smoked the last of those (must have been 2013) not too long ago, and based on that they will age very well indeed.  And I have also been working my way through a box bought last year, and they are just as tasty.  Nor is the format excessive, in my view: a proper robusto in girth with an extra half hour's smoking pleasure added in length ... definitely a two-dram smoke!

• Like 1

I would say that this appeals amongst the newest Cuban cigar smokers. I haven't had an under filled one yet or one that was lackluster. I feel it's one of the better Cuban cigars that have been put out in recent years. To me, it has the quintessential upmann flavor.

I smoked one again tonight just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I'm going to throw my remaining 10 in my singles drawer, and open up some box space. I'll revisit them eventually, or they might turn into my give away smokes. I'm sure I'll buy another box at some point, but it's most likely going to be off of 24:24.

I've placed an order blind as well due to the consistency of quality with the A's. it's always nice to have prez inspect a box for wrappers, aroma, and construction. So if you're not in a rush they do go around $290 on 24:24 clearance/seconds. Also keep in mind 24:24 wrapper quality doesn't always reflect binder and filler quality. That is something that can only be assessed by actually smoking. For example I've had PSP RASS with gorgeous wrappers and nice aroma at cold that are some of the most disappointing smoking cigars. I've never had a reason to believe that wrapper quality and presentation correlates to the equivalent quality of binder and filler used. That's Cuba . Consistently inconsistent with connoisseur A's and limitadas being more of an exception to that rule.

• Like 1

Excellent cigar.  At first I was surprised at how expensive they were until I had one.  Then I couldn't keep my hands off them.  I really think they're Winnie's little brother, and sometimes the little brother delivers as well, if not better than big brother.  Can't wait to see how they age if they make it past a couple years.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dmpotocek said:

I smoked one again tonight just to make sure I wasn't going crazy. I'm going to throw my remaining 10 in my singles drawer, and open up some box space. I'll revisit them eventually, or they might turn into my give away smokes. I'm sure I'll buy another box at some point, but it's most likely going to be off of 24:24.

I would do that. I'd also shoot Rob a reminder to try and scope out some Connie A in the next week or two and I would not hesitate picking up a hand-picked box at a great price on a 24:24. And honestly, his price on the HQ/HP is extremely competitive. Those singles you've got may or may not come around, but the consensus is that Connie A really shouldn't perform that way, and I suspect you just got the unlucky dice roll of a box of turds. It was bound to happen at some point, and I guess it's you, but I would not for one second let that ruin you to the high quality and super-consistent cigar that is the Connie A. 

• Like 3

I'd have to agree with those in favor of the Connie A on this.  I suppose you could say that they are expensive on a pound-for-pound basis, but I have rarely been let down by either of my 2014 boxes (and by let down I mean a 92 point cigar).  Most have been in the 94 - 96 range for me.

A friend of mine purchased a 2015 box and was initially disappointed in his first two out of the box.  He stowed them away for about 6 months and said that they have improved dramatically.

My two cents: Definitely worth having a box in your humidor(s).  Always buy the best you can afford.  If you buy blind, hopefully it is because the deal was too good to pass up and that savings will offset any possible let down in the smoking experience due to the value aspect.

• Like 1