First Quarter 2017 Wrap Up

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard to believe that the first quarter of 2017 is over  It has been a helter skelter start to the year for us here and showing no signs of slowing down. Again, I am blessed by a fantastic team who

Yes, and if underfilling and poor wrapper is more common in the first quarter this year, well then, we have every reason to appreciate our host more. Thank you El Pres!

Habanos doesn't sell direct to online retailers. Habanos sells to distributors. Distributors sell to retailers (online/B&M/both). Some distributors have their own quasi online stores. The onl

Thx Prez for all that you do.  Keep up the good work.  I love the fact that I have a vendor I trust fully to not put crap up for sale.  It is worth everything to me.  

• Like 3

I am curious what happens to the cigars that are sent back. I meant to ask this before. Do they get discarded by PCC or by H. SA or do they get distributed by PCC to other vendors?  

I very much enjoyed reading this thread.   Really shed's alot of light on the subject and has made me appreciate more my current inventory and will be more selective in the future of what I buy.   I haven't bought blind in ages and don't see that changing, especially with the current conditions.   Many thanks....

• Like 2

Wow this was amazing information! The honesty and upfront nature I have witnessed from our host is second to none and what other retailers should base their practices on. That is why I only order from FOH for my CCs. It is crazy to see that these would even be sent to a distributor for sale. 

• Like 1

Rob I must say, I appreciate this information. Those pictures speak volumes. Very important to have good helpful vendors and its thoughtful for you to mention it. 

That being said....what the literal F*&K. They talk an awful lot about QC to be sending that out.

Couldn't be said any better!

The money that is spent by the consumer on this "thing of ours" calls for better QC from the start. I can't thank Rob and his team enough for what they do. Not many, if any, vendors will do what they do for their customers.

Thank you!
  • Like 2

Wow, thank you for the heads up, Prez.

That would probably explain why I received the following Coros from a friend who recently visited Havana and bought two boxes at the Nacional Hotel store. I thought the salesperson must have just taken him for a novice, which he is, and sold him fakes.
Some ugly wrappers & way under filled... was disappointed to see it. However the one I tried, which had a single thick black hair sticking out of the foot (as I mentioned in a different thread), tasted pretty good though lacking some expected oomph.
77e86f32b46ee5f3212e783e2a3bede9.jpgffc4b2a6b2d56fb0e52c9fe6658e8da6.jpgca05623858d1d46ae11de971ad24ae57.jpg84b4bf86687dfc92d08792adb11440fb.jpgf8bd245f8347a5bdd10e8555aa620982.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, gusto616 said:

Wow, thank you for the heads up, Prez.

That would probably explain why I received the following Coros from a friend who recently visited Havana and bought two boxes at the Nacional Hotel store. I thought the salesperson must have just taken him for a novice, which he is, and sold him fakes.
Some ugly wrappers & way under filled... was disappointed to see it. However the one I tried, which had a single thick black hair sticking out of the foot (as I mentioned in a different thread), tasted pretty good though lacking some expected oomph.
77e86f32b46ee5f3212e783e2a3bede9.jpgffc4b2a6b2d56fb0e52c9fe6658e8da6.jpgca05623858d1d46ae11de971ad24ae57.jpg84b4bf86687dfc92d08792adb11440fb.jpgf8bd245f8347a5bdd10e8555aa620982.jpg

Ouch. Those bands are pre-2014.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, gusto616 said:

ffc4b2a6b2d56fb0e52c9fe6658e8da6.jpgf8bd245f8347a5bdd10e8555aa620982.jpg

Is there a box code on these?  I hope they are authentic for you, but I really don't like the look of these.  As mentioned, that style of band is old, and it doesn't look embossed either.  Is there embossing on the band?

• Like 1

Is there a box code on these?  I hope they are authentic for you, but I really don't like the look of these.  As mentioned, that style of band is old, and it doesn't look embossed either.  Is there embossing on the band?

No embossing & no code,
which is why I thought bogus at first but wasn't sure if there was a cardboard box involved with COROS - obviously I don't buy them by the box

The box in the pictures is not from my friend, it's an empty Sig II box I'm using for storage

My friend just gave me a handful gratis, I declined to buy them

Rob thanks for the heads up.  I kind of had a uneasy feeling as of late.  Once I heard about the problem with the amount of rainfall which was

not the normal amount Cuba should get for a growing season(s).  I thought this would just add more fuel to the fire.

Combined with China, States, Europe, Middle East, eastern euorpe all seeking Cuban cigars may have put more pressure on the Cuban

cigar industry.  I started smoking habanos around 2010 and was lucky to see the Cuban cigar industry blossom around 2013 thru 2015.

It just seems like yesterday that every 24:24 Rob had up the percent of PSP's seemed to "ruled the roost".  There seemed to be more PSP's

than Hq's and because the quality of the smokes were super high very few PE's ever went up for sale. Ah yes 2014 was by

far the best smokes I have ever seen / smoked in my very short smoking life (2010 - Now),  Again that sinking feeling arose

again a while back when I bought a box of Behike 52's (2016) and could not beleive that these were Behikes.  You see my smoking life

really started in Spain on vacation in 2010 when I bought a box of 52's for $270.00 at a cigar shop on the Rambala in Barcelona.

These were from god they were smooth as silk smoking wise and even to the touch.  If I knew then what

I know now I'd be a very happy happy man.  My how things have changed !

Just now, gusto616 said:

No embossing & no code,
which is why I thought bogus at first but wasn't sure if there was a cardboard box involved with COROS - obviously I don't buy them by the box

The box in the pictures is not from my friend, it's an empty Sig II box I'm using for storage

My friend just gave me a handful gratis, I declined to buy them

Understood.  No embossing (and that is not the only red flag with the bands), awful wrappers, horrendous looking tobacco in the feet...I think your first instinct on these was accurate.

• Like 2

Like the majority of you, I thank Rob for this thread and the pics, beware gentlemen, if buying elsewhere, do your research and talk to your vendors, or just by from Rob and Co......with no issues.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Wow that is horrible underfilling....

Funny that in 99/00 we were all angry about overfilled/plugged, terrible tasting sticks as HSA tried to ramp up production by factors instead of percentages. For those of us who pretty much smoked our inventory while waiting for things to improve this is a real scare.

I only buy here and 1 other vendor that many folks know well. And while I trust that vendor completely it does help to see the 24:24 pics and know the sticks have been hand selected. 

Just goes to show why we fondle the cigars when we pick out cigars, imagine all the folks who just order/walk in a LCDH and grab a sealed box without ever cracking it open....scary.

• Like 1