Johnny-O 52

So I bought a sampler of Johnny-O customs a while back. I enjoyed them quite a bit. The price is good and they're well made. In particular I like his 1966, Corona Extra, and BHK 52/54/56.

I've ordered several more times since that first order. I'm enjoying them fresh and have put some away to age. If they last I'll be surprised. 

I'm going to review a Behique 54(his spelling) today. I received these last week and dry boxes 24hrs. 

Construction is great. Wrapper is light in color and delicate. A nice cap and the foot is packed. Honestly, this thing was packed full and I was concerned about the draw. 

I punched it and to my pleasure a great draw. I toasted the foot and let it stew in its own embers for a few. I've been doing this more frequently and in my own mind, it makes for a more even burn...who knows. 

1/3 starts mellow. No pepper hit which I'm happy to find. I'm not a fan of the pepper bombs. Smooth and rich smoke. Flavor wise toasted tobacco, light hay and that musk mushroom flavor. Very enjoyable. Burn is even.

2/3. Still a great even burn and a solid ash. Flavor has progressed. A little fuller bodied and keeping the same hay/mushroom flavors. Creamy smoke. On the finish I would say Montecristo'esque. Not an exact match but hints. 

Final 3rd remains the same with an uptick in body. The burn has gotten a little off. Nothing bad. Should have dry boxes for 2 days instead of one. A bit more pepper added to the mix. A clean finish and still a lot of smoke. I'm guessing but I don't think there is a lot of ligero in this blend, and I'm just fine with that. 

A very enjoyable cigar. I don't really do number ratings. I've already ordered more. If you have an opportunity to smoke one I would suggest trying it out. 

IMG_4953.JPG

IMG_5237.JPG

B598660C-ECD9-46D9-B5F5-8F11D66D975B.jpg

• Like 4

Glad you enjoy them. 

They are however custom rolled cigar and as such should mot use (symulacrums of) brand named cigars. 

The product should stand on its own. 

It is a common marketing ploy in the CR world and for me it always detracts from the product. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I actually smoked my first Johnny-O today while driving. The cold draw was loads of "Berry" flavor which carried through into the smoking experience as well. A nice muskiness to balance out the sweet berry flavors as well. The smoke almost smelled like mens cologne a couple times, it was wierd but not off putting, like the guy sitting next to me put too much on. 

I have been gifted a few, and will try out a couple other sizes before I order any, but this first one was certainly a tasty smoke. I have no clue as to blending, but  I feel like this little half Flying pig had a half leaf of ligero in there, no harshness, but very strong in the flavor department. 

• Like 3

Guest Nekhyludov

Great review! I haven't dived into the custom-roll pool yet, but these sound damn good. I love that musty/mushroom profile that I get from Trinidads.