Havana trip report

uscmd310

This was the Dec/Jan crop being aged at the Robaina farm. They had planted a 2nd crop because the output was so low. This was due to a lack of fertilizer. Sometimes things don't make sense - it's Cuba. 

17545439_10210784349319188_9057093872022444329_o.jpg

• Like 1

This was on the birthday of his grandfather Don Alejandro. Hirochi (on the left) brought out his private stash that he had rolled himself. 5 yr wrapper and filler. I was too embarassed to ask him how long these had aged in his humidor. I thought it was better than any Dunhill or Davidoff aged cuban.  (On the right) Our guide Maique the ex-president of Habanos SA, creator of the Behike. 

17504295_10210784333678797_6023053986730974767_o.jpg

• Like 3

I searched everywhere for Behike and my favorite Cohiba Robusto Suoremo. Maybe 15+ stores. Got lucky and found 2 boxes of Behike 52 for $262. I think they sell for $800 now. No way I would pay those prices. Crazy insane. I found a partial box of supremo at $27 per stick. Very difficult to find premium boxes now, let me know how it is in June? If you see ANY Behike - don't hesitate. Buy them.

• Like 1

Great write up! So glad you loved your first trip. I made my first trip in November, and am leaving again on May 7. Again, stellar write up!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, caboman said:

Great Report . I am going next week and am really looking forward to it. I have a question Do you have to check your rum or can you carry on? Is it a hassle to check bags on the way home?

Hirochi had two oxen that helped plant (and fertilize) the crop. They were named El Presidente. And Mentiroso. President and Liar.

17436274_10210784335318838_794007702644114267_o.thumb.jpg.88103674ca2524832fee192de855c74a.jpg

Those are hilarious names and makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

44 minutes ago, caboman said:

Great Report . I am going next week and am really looking forward to it. I have a question Do you have to check your rum or can you carry on? Is it a hassle to check bags on the way home?

If you plan to carry on, it must be purchased at the airport after security. I checked in like 8 bottles. Pre-trip I purchased bubble wrap wine sleeves from Amazon and it worked perfectly. It was my first time, and I wasn't sure where to buy and how many I could carry. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, caboman said:

Forgot to mention, If you purchase after security to carry on, you pay extra for a sealed clear bag. I saw some people carry on 4 bottles, so that might be the limit. Prices at the airport after security weren't marked up or not that much. Very surprising for an airport.

• Like 1

Where all are you going? Could you also post some feedback upon your return?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forgot to mention, If you purchase after security to carry on, you pay extra for a sealed clear bag. I saw some people carry on 4 bottles, so that might be the limit. Prices at the airport after security weren't marked up or not that much. Very surprising for an airport.

Did they have a decent selection?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

The selection was decent for bottles $40 and under. Nonexistent for more than 40. I'd really like a few bottles of Santiago 25 this time. If you see an open bottle anywhere, don't hesitate - order a finger. It's decadent.