Cohiba Esplendidos check?

Pncc2323

13 hours ago, JFox said:

That picture looks identical to the box I have here. Numbers even come up as Romeo Juliet as well. Seals in the box not on. Not sure even what to do with them. Not sure what I can say or explain here on this subject - But after they got to me I started to research as I had some doubts. And that's why and how I wound up here. 

Ouch very sorry to hear, next time post up here and you'll get legitimate answers. Saved my friend $250. In my opinion try to get your money back but if that's not possible take the loss.

On Wed Apr 19 2017 at 9:31 AM, 99call said:

I really don't understand the effort people go to to buy a box of fake esplendidos, when the same level of effort correctly focused you can find yourself a box of something great from the 1980's for around $150-$200

Effort was on my hand for sure, my friend in this case not much just sent me a couple of photos and then text me for authenticity check. I looked at these photos and tried to verify code on habanos verification site too many red flags popped and that's why I uploaded here. He was on vacation in Miami at a lounge met a few people there conversations eventually moved onto Cuban cigars and that's how that happened. 

1 hour ago, Pncc2323 said:

Effort was on my hand for sure, my friend in this case not much just sent me a couple of photos and then text me for authenticity check. I looked at these photos and tried to verify code on habanos verification site too many red flags popped and that's why I uploaded here. He was on vacation in Miami at a lounge met a few people there conversations eventually moved onto Cuban cigars and that's how that happened. 

Sorry, I wasn't really commenting on you, or anyone in this thread, more just to say. If you type "cuban cigars" into any second source platform, 100 boxes of Cohiba Esplendido's come up,  I guess I just always find it surprising that there's a great deal of people out there, who think it's some magic co-incidence that 99% of cigars that get advertised in outside of online/high street retailers are Cohiba Esplendidos?.

The funny thing is, is I bet there is someone somewhere selling an actual genuine box of Esplendido's and they cant shift them for love nor money.

No worries I figured that just giving a background to the Post. Funny thing is I have friends that would be the typical pick up authentic "Cuban cigars" at the beach LOL. 

Since starting smoking CC's again, I've made a concerted effort to smoke for free, hence the investing. Trust me it's a motivating factor to think outside of the box, when your smoking enjoyment depends on it. It's also great fun

Ok, estate sale - lots of effort and luck required and absolutely no guarantee of even remotely correct storage conditions.

I stick to my earlier statement ;)

I support his earlier statement.;)

however, I have found a $10.00 dollar bill in a parking lot before.:o

I suppose anyone can get a good deal once in his life, you got yours.............:dollarsign:

• Like 1

I support his earlier statement.

however, I have found a $10.00 dollar bill in a parking lot before.

I suppose anyone can get a good deal once in his life, you got yours.............:dollarsign:

And I know exactly who would auction off such sticks without any mention of the questionable provenance, authenticity, or condition without even a hint of a guilty conscience :P

5 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

And I know exactly who would auction off such sticks without any mention of the questionable provenance, authenticity, or condition without even a hint of a guilty conscience :P

5 hours ago, garbandz said:

I support his earlier statement.;)

however, I have found a $10.00 dollar bill in a parking lot before.:o

I don't really understand the level of negativity here. Neither of you had asked if I had good provenance (which I did) neither of you had asked if I had seen the condition of the cigars storage (which was a well kept humidor as part of a larger wine store).

The reality of any vintage cigars (apart from stuff held in stores like Davidoff or Gerards in Geneva) is, is that they many off them have had multiple homes in there life, and much like any auction, the buyer has the reponsibility to enquire as to the condition of an item, and ascertain as to whether the level of provenance and condition meet both their approval and price. 

The reality is, is that although these boxes were in excellent condition and had good provenance and were stored very well, they would reach double if not more, if they were listed as being "from Davidoff's holdings in London". 

I never buy anything, or sell anything I woudn't be happy to own. and to suggest otherwise, without any knowledge of me, is pretty slanderous, not to mention naive

My comment started off by saying why would anyone put so much energy into hunting down fake Esplendido's when the reality is, with the same amount of effort, and a bit of research you could find something real, and much more valuable, both monitarily and in terms of quality, you obviously don't agree.

I've collected vintage for a good 10yrs, and have found many gems, but personally prefer smoking stuff with less age on them, hence investment

I'll finish by again questioning the level of negativity from you both. 

12 hours ago, 99call said:

I don't really understand the level of negativity here. Neither of you had asked if I had good provenance (which I did) neither of you had asked if I had seen the condition of the cigars storage (which was a well kept humidor as part of a larger wine store).

The reality of any vintage cigars (apart from stuff held in stores like Davidoff or Gerards in Geneva) is, is that they many off them have had multiple homes in there life, and much like any auction, the buyer has the reponsibility to enquire as to the condition of an item, and ascertain as to whether the level of provenance and condition meet both their approval and price. 

The reality is, is that although these boxes were in excellent condition and had good provenance and were stored very well, they would reach double if not more, if they were listed as being "from Davidoff's holdings in London". 

I never buy anything, or sell anything I woudn't be happy to own. and to suggest otherwise, without any knowledge of me, is pretty slanderous, not to mention naive

My comment started off by saying why would anyone put so much energy into hunting down fake Esplendido's when the reality is, with the same amount of effort, and a bit of research you could find something real, and much more valuable, both monitarily and in terms of quality, you obviously don't agree.

I've collected vintage for a good 10yrs, and have found many gems, but personally prefer smoking stuff with less age on them, hence investment

PM sent

On 4/20/2017 at 11:22 AM, Pncc2323 said:

Ouch very sorry to hear, next time post up here and you'll get legitimate answers. Saved my friend $250. In my opinion try to get your money back but if that's not possible take the loss.

No getting money back ~ These were purchased in Cuba on a spring break trip. Daughter and friends "got the hook up" from the bed and breakfast owners son in law. Brought them back for me -  I don't have the heart to tell her. And I'm no veteran cigar man. (yet :) ) but knew something had to be up for the money.  Did some investigating and sure enough they are fake. So if they are a "kit" does that mean they cold actually be cheap but decent cigars re-banded as Cohibas? If so she can take them back to school (college) and hand them out and have fun with them. Maybe I should cut one open? 

~Because of the interest generated by them though, I now have my first humidor and will be seasoning it and loading up with stock from El Presidente.

TLDR - kidding

You went through a lot of trouble and you got lucky. That is by no means comparable effort to having some buddy pick up a box of sticks on the street in Cuba when they're already there. And what percentage of estate sale cigars are genuine and in good condition, you guess? Your transaction was not typical, nor was the price. Congratulations on your find and your profit. Now make that a repeatable exercise and I will agree with your statement about the effort.

I'm not questioning your integrity - I'm sure the buyer was very happy to get good condition cigars. The auctioneer I have in mind wouldn't give two rats asses about the provenance or condition, however, and would gladly pocket the commission on both sides of the deal.

HHHmmm I think it's a bit of a mistake to write in a manner that denotes you're the supreme authority on a subject, and that you're telling people 'how it is'. as opposed to what you're opinion is.

One of the great things about forums, is that knowledge and experience isn't necessarily how long someone has been posting etc etc. 

For what its worth, (as you had challenged the concept), I've been collecting and selling for a while and generally can make from £1500 to £2000 every couple of months on something I classify as an enjoyable hobby. I own my own business,  so the possibility that it would take a great deal of effort on my part, just simply wouldn't work. 

I agree with you that finding vintage and being propositioned on a beach, do of course require a different level of effort, I was more commenting on peoeple who go looking for cheap Cohibas online.  and that if someone wanted to look for something equally special for not much money, that are actually real,  it's not too difficult.

I think were probably going to have to agree to disagree.  PS are those sou-sou.jp tabi shoes?  If so nice work

HHHmmm I think it's a bit of a mistake to write in a manner that denotes you're the supreme authority on a subject, and that you're telling people 'how it is'. as opposed to what you're opinion is.

One of the great things about forums, is that knowledge and experience isn't necessarily how long someone has been posting etc etc. 

For what its worth, (as you had challenged the concept), I've been collecting and selling for a while and generally can make from £1500 to £2000 every couple of months on something I classify as an enjoyable hobby. I own my own business,  so the possibility that it would take a great deal of effort on my part, just simply wouldn't work. 

I agree with you that finding vintage and being propositioned on a beach, do of course require a different level of effort, I was more commenting on peoeple who go looking for cheap Cohibas online.  and that if someone wanted to look for something equally special for not much money, that are actually real,  it's not too difficult.

I think were probably going to have to agree to disagree.  PS are those sou-sou.jp tabi shoes?  If so nice work

All good man - of course it's all just my own experience and yours may differ. I wish I was that successful with estate sales - I don't know anyone other than you that is. Maybe you can PM me some tricks?

Good eye - yes, I bought these in the store in Japantown San Francisco years ago. Don't really wear them much anymore since even in silicon valley they aren't work appropriate ;) I wear almost exclusively Trippen these days.