Picking the "Magnificent 7" from current production stock.

I had an e-mail over the weekend from a new member. Actually it has been a series of emails culmination with "pick me the magnificent 7 of current HSA stock"

The request came with a caveat in that the stock I picked  was not to be listed for discontinuation as he didn't want his heart to be broken should he love them. 

Tough one I said "as some may not be available when you order"

So we settled on 7 cigars with 3 reserves.  

I also ruled out 2015 LE stock just in case he couldn't put his hands on any in 3-6 months time. So from regular stock I picked:

1. Montecristo Especial
  2. Punch Punch
  3. Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number One. 
  4. Partagas 898 varnished
  5. Cohiba lancero
  6. H. Upmann Sir Winston
  7. Cohiba Siglo IV

Reserves:

1. Partagas Lusitania
  2. Montecristo Petit Edmundo
  3. Juan Lopez seleccion Number 2 

I looked back on my list yesterday and noted how heavily it favoured my preferred vitolas. He said he had no preference at this stage but just wanted "excellence" in a Cuban cigar. 

Using the same criteria.....how would your "Magnificent 7" look :thinking:

• Like 1

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Good evening all. I am not in a position to have a magnificent 7 yet. Still being able to claim newbie status, I don't think I've had 7 Cubans yet. However, the preceding list gives me something to

It's a tough one in regards to regular production supply, because of recent/current wrapper shortage of the 180-odd current in production Habanos cigars, approximately 30% would have been in a product

I'm also finding it hard to believe so many people have smoked a 16 SW. Really? I saw a handful of boxes pop up here and there but they were gone in an instant. I don't think any of the popular truste

Good evening all. I am not in a position to have a magnificent 7 yet. Still being able to claim newbie status, I don't think I've had 7 Cubans yet.

However, the preceding list gives me something to keep in mind when I have an opportunity. I recognize the names, and unfortunately my wallet may not support adding some of them to my meager collection, but certainly something to work toward as I continue my journey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Monte PE (though Monte 1 would be a fine substitute)

Partagas Lusitania

R&J Churchill

HU Magnum 50

Diplomatico #2

RA Superiores

Boliver Royal Corona

Substitutes

SCDH El Morro 

HDM Epicure 1

Cohiba Robusto

• Like 1

BCJ

Cohiba Sig IV

Hoyo des Dieux

Monte #4

PL Montecarlos

Punch Punch

Robaina Famosas

You're going to see just about every marca/vitola in the HSA lineup in this thread.

36 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I had an e-mail over the weekend from a new member. Actually it has been a series of emails culmination with "pick me the magnificent 7 of current HSA stock"

The request came with a caveat in that the stock I picked  was not to be listed for discontinuation as he didn't want his heart to be broken should he love them. 

Tough one I said "as some may not be available when you order"

So we settled on 7 cigars with 3 reserves.  

I also ruled out 2015 LE stock just in case he couldn't put his hands on any in 3-6 months time. So from regular stock I picked:

1. Montecristo Especial
  2. Punch Punch
  3. Hoyo de Monterrey Epicure Number One. 
  4. Partagas 898 varnished
  5. Cohiba lancero
  6. H. Upmann Sir Winston
  7. Cohiba Siglo IV

Reserves:

1. Partagas Lusitania
  2. Montecristo Petit Edmundo
  3. Juan Lopez seleccion Number 2 

I looked back on my list yesterday and noted how heavily it favoured my preferred vitolas. He said he had no preference at this stage but just wanted "excellence" in a Cuban cigar. 

Using the same criteria.....how would your "Magnificent 7" look :thinking:

Are we likely to see either the Montecristo Especial or the H. Upmann Sir Winston anytime soon?  They seem pretty elusive...

• Like 2

regular production means to me, available. Respectfully, pres, I have had a hard time finding monte especial and Cohiba  lancero in free supply. My list:

Monte especial no 2

Partagas serie d 4

H upmann Connie a

Bolivar corona Jr

Cohiba robusto 

Punch double corona or party lusitania , depending on preference

Punch punch 

How about kudos for the Monty #1.  As of late it has been smoking like a dream.  What say

you on this "not so under the radar anymore" cigar.  Looks good, feels good, tastes good....

• Like 1

Haven't seen any 16 Connie A production, so that may be why it's missing from the list. Can't figure out the Dip 2 omission, however. Also, the BCG and Tubos No 1 have been great, but I suppose as they've been cut, they no longer qualify as regular production. 

So my top 7 2016 currently available regular production cigars are, in no particular order:

Boli Tubos No 2

Dip 2

Punch Punch

Party Lusi

LGC MdO4

PSE2

HUC1

• Like 1

It's a tough one in regards to regular production supply, because of recent/current wrapper shortage of the 180-odd current in production Habanos cigars, approximately 30% would have been in a production hiatus in the last 12 to 18 months. This doesn't just include vitolas such as forum favourites H.Upmann Sir Winston, Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux or La Gloria Cubana Medaille d'Or No.2's, we can easily forget the El Rey del Mundo Choix Supremes were not around for around 8 months last year, and the San Luis Rey Serie A still hasn't re-appeared after 12 months of hiatus.

No matter what we individually choose, there's a sure bet that one or two on your list will either come out of or go into a production hiatus in 6 to 12 months.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

No dice. At least the DD hasn't been officially cut--this one has!

Yep.  And I'm smoking one right now and trying not to drown it in my tears. 

• Like 1

Just now, stogieluver said:

Yep.  And I'm smoking one right now and trying to drown it in my tears. 

I'm with you--this one really hurts. Just as I've been really pursuing Coronas again in the last few years and moving away from Marevas and Minutos. The BT1 was becoming a "I only smoke this" cigar for me. Still reeling from this one. 

5 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

I was torn between the Montecarlos and this. 

8 minutes ago, watches_whiskies_cigars said:

No love for the PLPC?

Eh, there was better in 16. They just didn't quite crack the top 7 for me. But not too far behind.

Now, 13/14 production might have gotten there. But 16, not quite.

• Like 1

These would be my mag-7 from current production, based on my own personal tastes.

1. Montecristo No. 1
  2. Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished
  3. PL Montecarlos
  4. LGC MdO #4
  5. Montecristo No. 3
  6. Montecristo No. 5
  7. RyJ Cazadores

My backups would be RA Club Allones, H. Upmann Mag 46 and Cuaba Divinos. 

My tendency towards Lonsdales, and my preference for Montecristo is obvious and perhaps a tad overstated, but these are the best I have tasted from current production over the past year.

• Like 1