How "Deep" is "Deep"?

When you decide to go deep on a certain  cigar,  how many cigars do you consider deep, on a regular production cigar? I used to think if I had a couple of boxes of a cigar, that was deep. Then it went to 100, now 200. Just curious on whay otters think. 

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Pssht, amateur.

If the pile of boxes is taller than me...that's deep. Until then, its just "a lot"

10+ boxes of a particular code is deep for me, i.e. 10 boxes of LRE 2009 PSD4's...

These days I don't go more than 3-4 boxes of something that is a real regular like RASSC, Boli Cjr or Jose Piedra.....and that is mainly due to space as I run 2 large wine coolers and a couple desktops.

However my younger son is about to move out for college and I am thinking of a wall unit in his room which would expand capacity :) Often on craiglist they pop up when a smoke shop closes down.

If that happens I will go 5-7 boxes on the stuff I love that is being DC'd

• Like 1

When you decide to go deep on a certain  cigar,  how many cigars do you consider deep, on a regular production cigar? I used to think if I had a couple of boxes of a cigar, that was deep. Then it went to 100, now 200. Just curious on whay otters think. 

Wait! Did you say 100-200 boxes? That's not deep, that's a massive trench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

This forum never fails to make me feel like a dilettante :lol:

For me, "going deep" means I'm investing in a box. As in, one box of 25 cigars. I have a single 50 cab of Punch Punch. I just don't have the storage or the budget to maintain any variety and stock quantity, too. My wife would murder me in my sleep if I came home with a coolerdor or a wineador! 

25 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

For me, "going deep" means I'm investing in a box. As in, one box of 25 cigars. I have a single 50 cab of Punch Punch. I just don't have the storage or the budget to maintain any variety and stock quantity, too. My wife would murder me in my sleep if I came home with a coolerdor or a wineador! 

2nd!

To me, deep would be 3 boxes. 1 to smoke, 1 to age, 1 for backup. Corporate policy.

That being said, I also consider my favourites. I have 6 boxes of coros right now, and I always maintain a smokable stock or RyJ Churchills and Monte eddy.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I only go deep on things that are limited time availability like ELs and REs.  Deepest I've gone on any of these is 8 or 9 boxes of the Club Allones. Did 6 or 7 of the Grande Edmundo when they came out. That's still not a lot of cigars because these were all 10 count boxes. For most of these one time cigars, the price and the ring gauge size has become too ridiculous to really want to go deep.

For regular production, I like a box to smoke and a box or two behind them in the aging rotation.

im pretty deep in with h upmann PC's they have their own wineador LOL (20 boxes deep)

monte especial no 1's deep  wish I could go deep with cohiba lanceros but there just is never enough stock for me to find

• Like 1

I typically go about as deep as about 7-8 boxes at the high end, usually spread throughout various vintages. Cigars I am really deep on (6+ boxes) include Lusitanias (aging), Sir Winstons (hoarding), Cohiba Sig VI/Robusto/Lanceros (smoke a ton, buy a ton, and like them aged), and if you added up all of of the various Opus X cigars I must have 300 (get alot as gifts, don't smoke alot, and like them well aged). 

After that it drops off pretty sharply for me. 

1 hour ago, havanaclub said:

Wait! Did you say 100-200 boxes? That's not deep, that's a massive trench. emoji23.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left off cigars after 100, 200. 200 boxes would definitely be trench worthy.

If I really like a cigar, I'll go through a box in about a year to a year and a half. If I buy a box and know I won't get to it for 3-5 years, I know I'm deep on that cigar. So it can be 2-3 boxes on top of the one I'm smoking, or just one extra box of a special occasion cigar like a Double Corona.

3 hours ago, Nekhyludov said:

Time for a second job, a larger humidor, and a new wife.  Priorities, man.  Priorities.

• Like 3

I don't really go deep on regular production. Normally 25-35 sticks max

LEs, REs or anything that's going to be discontinued is another story
I've gone as deep as 150 (6 boxes) on a few of the discontinued Diplomatico vitolas and 30-50 sticks on some of the more enjoyable LE's and RE's

Price is the deciding factor on most of these. As much as I'd like to have 3 or 4 boxes of Bushidos buried away for a rainy day, I'd also like to eat and pay my mortgage

• Like 2