Partagas: what color wrapper do you like to see?

Have a couple 10ct boxes on hand.  Both OBM APR 16. Photo doesn't show it too well, but top box has a reddish hue to the wrapper.  Bottom box is walnut brown with a greenish hue.  Not real attractive IMO.  

What's prefered?  What's usual? What difference does it make?  

I have always found that I prefer lighter, thinner wrappers for most of the Partagas line (e.g. Shorts, Lusi, 898). However, for the Serie line, I prefer oily dark wrappers. I've seen some absolutely awful wrappers on PSD4 and less often on the PSD5, although that cigar has only been around for 6 years. Most Serie wrappers are of a lighter shade and the worst even have a faint yellow or green tint to them. The best Serie cigars I've had were the closest to what Rob classifies as PSP. 

A caveat is that the PSP2 is much more likely to have dark, oily wrappers, but since I have never had a good PSP2 in my life I have no opinion on wrapper preference. I haven't seen enough PSE2 and PSD6, so the same applies.

Not sure what Partagas model you're referring to, but the reddish hue you describe is probably preferable to the brown/greenish. I have seen a ton of PSD4 with that color and it does look awful. Another reason why I only would by PSD4 from Rob. There are just too many of this cigar made to buy blind and average quality is skewed way to the left. Same as the Monte 4. 

• Like 1

Colour is only one criteria. Vibrancy, texture, aroma all are more or at least equal to as important as colour imo.

Couple weeks back enjoyed a 2007 Presidentes and the colour was beige. Just an awful beige blah colour. It had a shine to it, smelled rich and powerful and felt like velvet. Was an excellent cigar.

If color was the only important aspect, than the various maduro lines would be highly sought after. They are not.

I've had rich, dark wrapper PSD4s that disappointed. I recently had an Upmann Connie No.1 that had an unappealing green-hued wrapper (bought as a single elsewhere) that sat in my humi for three years because of how it looked. Boy, was I surprised how good it was.

While I believe that wrappers are an indication of potential overall quality, it does make me think that a little confirmation bias happens when we smoke. If we have a good smoke with a gorgeous wrapper we're more likely to register the way the wrapper looked and less likely to think of the wrapper if it's a poor smoke. And the reverse, more likely to blame an ugly wrapper, less likely to register it if it's good.

All that being said, I'll taste with my eyes first every time and prefer a complete sensory experience.

I have a couple cabs of the shorts from the prez (2015/2016) that have a slightly greenish hue.  They might have been seconds or clearance and they are the best shorts I have ever had.  Don't know if  it is because of the wrappers?

31 minutes ago, cigaraholic said:

I've always preferred darker wrappers on Partagas.....and the other full bodied brands...RA, Bolivar, JL...

The Partagas wrapper shade that screams "run Luke run" to me.....piss yellow.

Piss yellow ???