They overlooked one thing...

SignalJoe

I found this picture on social media.  The counterfeiters appear to have really high quality (if not authentic) Cohiba and the Edicion Limitada bands.  However they overlooked the fact that Cohiba EL in 2014 was the Robustos Supremos, the Piramides format was last offered in 2006 and both came in 10 count boxes.    I tried to tell the owner that these were fakes and he replied that he had purchased them at a Mexican LCDH.  Which could explain what appears to be authentic bands, but opens up a whole other ugly can of worms.  I have heard rumors of fakes at LCDH's but has anyone actually stumbled across any or is it just cigar forum urban legend?   

18057656_625880207616551_3223338846136444461_n.jpg

It may be the image quality but it doesn't look like there's a hologram on the Taino silhouette which is a dead giveaway (aside from the fact as you mentioned no pyramid LE 2014 exists). Regardless, fakes at an LCDH would be disheartening.

• Like 2

I have seen fakes at the LCDH in Playa del Carmen, after I asked quite a few questions the clerk steered me away from them, but they looked like a lot of the fakes you see floating around down there. Lumpy, and poor wrapper quality, much rougher than the above. This was 2013, but I don't remember being particularly surprised by it. I did buy a couple very (real) tasty cigars while I was there. 

I have never seen fakes in the LCDH in Cancun(4 visits in the last 10 years), or any in Havana. Those bands would fool even modestly educated cigars smokers, probably 95%+ of the population. 

13 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I have seen fakes at the LCDH in Playa del Carmen, after I asked quite a few questions the clerk steered me away from them, but they looked like a lot of the fakes you see floating around down there. Lumpy, and poor wrapper quality, much rougher than the above. This was 2013, but I don't remember being particularly surprised by it. I did buy a couple very (real) tasty cigars while I was there. 

I have never seen fakes in the LCDH in Cancun(4 visits in the last 10 years), or any in Havana. Those bands would fool even modestly educated cigars smokers, probably 95%+ of the population. 

Well that is truly disturbing.  The guy who posted these was a Mexican resident and genuinely believed that the LCDH in question was incapable of selling fakes... a 25 count box of 2014 Piramides suggests otherwise (assuming he is being honest about where he bought them).  

I'm always slightly suspicious when people claim they are buying fake cigars at an LCDH. I don't think an LCDH would be silly enough to sell LE's that were so obviously wrong. I think the high prices of an LCDH could make that guy offering cigars outside at a lower price look pretty tempting.

• 1 month later...
On 4/27/2017 at 6:35 AM, SignalJoe said:

(assuming he is being honest about where he bought them).  

I think that's the issue; but never put anything past someone looking to make a buck....or peso. 

21 hours ago, semifan1 said:

There is another thread now with connie 1's  in 10's that were purchased from a LCDH that is fake.

Where is that thread?

If you could post a link, can't seem to find it.

The box needn't be fake to be honest. I had one in my hands just yesterday at my local LcdH.

The story behind it is actually interesting if true.

1 minute ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Where is that thread?

If you could post a link, can't seem to find it.

The box needn't be fake to be honest. I had one in my hands just yesterday at my local LcdH.

The story behind it is actually interesting if true.

Right below this thread.

• Like 1