Stock Quality Overview

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We (Greg and I) had a couple of good days in the warehouse. It is certainly easier to get through the volume of boxes when you have an exacting extra set of eyes/hands. Greg has had some good training

Hate the forecast, but appreciate the honesty.  

A couple of items. First, kudos to our host for his honest evaluation. He is not a guy telling you that mold is plume! For those newer to the interest. Wrapper appearance may be important to many

Out of curiosity does the general decline in quality across the board mean that there will simply be less PSP grade sales, or is PSP the top X% of what is currently available? Thanks as always, its fantastic having folks with keen eyes looking out for us during these times.

Knowing absolutely nothing about HSA operations, is it possible given the recent harvest shortcomings, that the premium quality is staying in Cuba for domestic sellers, and the rest is what is being shipped overseas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This factor is why we have to purchase expensive stuff from a trusted source, and read reviews from other sources for flavours etc too. 

Another source that fascinates me is when guys sell their stuff a lot. Sure, to make some lunch dough, but if a cigar or two is missing, maybe they did not like 'em?

CB

• Like 3

I am with you Beav... I have never been a big trader or secondary, tertiary market shopper. People sell stuff for money at times, divorces, job losses etc., but a lot of this stuff has been sized up by the previous owner as substandard (at least in some cases) and they want to be rid of it.

I would prefer to take my chances with virgin boxes unless I know the seller really well.

-tP

• Like 4

Ok I have to clarify an item so I am not telling a fib! Recently I bought a whole bunch of cigars by hand rollers in Cuba and I did not know one of the rollers or the seller. This was a not here.

But turned out just great.

ROB,

LIKE YOU SAID "IT WILL GET WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER" BUT LETS US PRAY TO THE CIGAR GODS

THAT "WORSE"  AND THAT THIS IS THE "BOTTOM" AND HOPEFULLY FROM HERE THE CUBAN CIGAR INDUSTRY CAN

ONLY GO UP FROM HERE!  i CAN'T SEE IT GETTING ANY WORSE BUT I DON'T HAVE AS

MANY CIGAR SMOKING YEARS UNDER MY BELT AS SOME FOH MEMBERS AND YOURSELF HAVE.  I WAS VERY LUCKY TO COME INTO

SMOKING CC'S CIGARS AROUND 2010 JUST WHEN HABANOS WHERE STARTING TO HIT THIER STRIDE FROM 2010 THRU 2014 AND 1/2 OF 1ST

PART OF 2015.   LONG FOR THE DAYS WHEN EVERY OTHER BOX POSTED ON 24:24 WERE PSP'S.  NEVER HAD SEEN ANY PE'S

BREAK INTO THE 24:24 / LFTH LINEUP DURING THE TIME OF "WINE AND ROSES".  i THOUGHT THAT WAS THE NORM

AND THE PSP HEAVEN WOULD GO ON FOR EVER!  LEARNING, LEARNING AND LEARNING!

With the state of cuban cigars,  it makes me appreciate the businesses model the "Prez" has developed. Providing good quality, when quality is difficult to find. Being straight up and down when discussing what's available. It's so nice to know that when you place an order, you never have to worry about what you will receive. 

• Like 1

this is exactly I went deep on '13s and '14s.

reports of poor crops and obvious shortages of certain sticks were my warning bell to stock up.

Hopefully I have what I need to ride out the slump.

7 hours ago, mwaller said:

Prez -

How are those Sir Winstons looking? I've seen pictures of some really calico boxes recently...

some stellar boxes, some good and some average ones. I haven't seen more than a few boxes which could be considered poor. 

certainly not to the same wrapper standard of previous batches. 

Rob I'll be interested in your thoughts on the taste and flavors of some of the cigars where wrappers are pale and not what we typically look for. I had one of the people I know in Havana who is very involved in many aspects of the cigar industry tell me that although cigars from the past few years looked much better the flavors of current year are as good or better. Of course this person has vested interest and may just be saying that but I know you'll tell it like it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob thanks for being such an honest gentleman.

Your observations are in line with what was generally to be expected after the less than ideal harvests from the last years. 

I suppose going forward you just have to smoke a cigar from each box to give us an honest appraisal. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, kuma said:

THAT "WORSE"  AND THAT THIS IS THE "BOTTOM" AND HOPEFULLY FROM HERE THE CUBAN CIGAR INDUSTRY CAN

ONLY GO UP FROM HERE!  i CAN'T SEE IT GETTING ANY WORSE

There have continually been ups and downs, downs and ups in the Cuban cigar industry (and not only since 1959). No need to panic. Buy when quality is up - take a break (or very carefully select / have selected for you) when qualities are low. It's really as easy as that.

• Like 3