Humidor Time -

With my first batch from El Presidente resting in 68 rh humidor - I was wondering how long until I can try one with good results. I know they get better with time.  Epi2 and Petite Robustos are calling to me. Also have Upmann Petite corona and Punch Punch.  Side note - This will be not only my first CC, but my first premium cigar ever -- haha. Hard candies at the ready ! 

• Like 1

Drop your RH to 62-64% and wait 2 months if you really have to smoke now.  Preferably wait for 2-3+ years to start sampling.

Buy some 3+ year old stock to smoke now and collect current offerings for aging...

• Like 4

If they are fresh or just rolled in the last 3 months or so I would say let them rest for 3 more months.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I always wait 3-4 weeks minimum before trying one.  Ideally I wait 3+ months, though to be fair they should fully acclimated to your humidor by the 8 week mark.  Let them acclimate to your humidor before trying one.  I'd rather enjoy the cigar then rush to have one and let down by its performance/flavors.

2 hours ago, Troels said:

Why not try right away and decide for yourself - worst case youll have 24 cigars that needs time down instead of 25. Sometimes they are at their peak right when you get them. 

I agre with this. 

Once the box arrives, I always try a couple within a week just to get a feel for them.

Than make a decision. I've never really understood the theory of purchasing a box, then hiding it away for 3 (+\-) years before trying. If the flavour is not there, Keep sampling every month or so til it is.

You would do well to listen to Piggy. I agree that 68% is way too high, for me. I store mine at between 60-62% rH @ 70dF. Any higher negatively affects the taste & burn of a CC.  Wait time is hit & miss. I usually try one ROTT(right off the truck) to see how shipping time might have affected the sticks. Sometimes, depending on ambient rH conditions the sticks experienced in transit, the cigars will smoke very well. So give one a try now. If you like the taste & burn, dig in. But if I could convince you to at least trying storage in the low 60's, I think you will say that was good advice. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, PigFish said:

Are you familiar at all with Cuban cigars? Just because you just got some cigar from Rob does not mean that you don't know what Cuban cigars taste like. For the sake of the argument, I will assume you are a CC neophyte...

First, welcome fellow traveler! You are in for an adventure as the Cuban cigar (most of us will agree anyway) is by far the best cigar in the world.

Cuban cigars are IMHO, sensitive to water. This means that your smoking experience can be affected by how wet the cigars are. You will learn to establish your own opinion in time. The time to learn is now. While I would say that a cigar smoked at 68rH and say 70F is too wet, you should decide that. Just remember, don't hold a negative experience against the cigar as this is not prime for a Cuban cigar, again, MHO... You might like the more bitter taste, while I don't.

Assuming that you are not new to cigars, these are not like you NC cigars. They should not be brash, metallic and make you stumble around in a daze. The love that many of us have with the Cuban cigar is the nuance.

I too think that with the caveats you should at least start testing the cigars now. We all have different tastes. In time, if you find that you feel these cigars may not be at their peak, you should try to regulate your storage a bit dryer. For instance, I store at 70F and 60 to 61rH. If you are used to NC cigars, you will think this is too dry, and it might be for you.

We all have opinions, and many of us have been smoking Cuban cigars for decades. We are therefore not the same. Listen and learn, but don't go down a rabbit hole here. Learn and experiment for yourself. It is your taste that matters, not mine, nor someone else.

Most of us like cigars a bit dryer and a bit older, but look, I am the last one to encourage you chasing unicorns. Don't blindly follow the 'net' logic and opinion. You don't have to be a well heeled collector to enjoy the simple pleasure of a Cuban cigar. It should be a staple and not a luxury. It should be simple and fun, not a complex, difficult to understand mess.

Best of luck on your new endeavor!

-Piggy

Thank you Piggy - 

To answer your first question , no I am not familiar with CC at all ! El cheapo boxed cigars fooling around years ago thats it. Have never smoked a premium cigar ! This whole thing started with me after my daughter and some friends from college went to Cuba and she returned with a box of Esplenditos - that we're not on the up and up. The more I read the more I became intrigued by the whole cigar culture. Fast forward a few months... I have a humidor with a selection of cigars - from some very mild up to my CC which are all on mild side.  I thought I had it going good at 67rh vs 70+rh. Maybe Ive made a mistake mixing in some other cigars with the CC ? Oh boy... corporate is not going to go for another humidor! Although she has been very understanding of my new hobby I must say. I have about 50 cigars in there total, half being CC from El Presidente. Another order on the way, (with more in my cart ~ I can't stop, somethings wrong with me ) I bought the others to bring myself along while the CC's rested a bit but may have to just give one a go. I am so glad I found this site in my research Ill say that. -  Thanks again for all the replies !

FullSizeRender.jpg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

Are you familiar at all with Cuban cigars? Just because you just got some cigar from Rob does not mean that you don't know what Cuban cigars taste like. For the sake of the argument, I will assume you are a CC neophyte...

First, welcome fellow traveler! You are in for an adventure as the Cuban cigar (most of us will agree anyway) is by far the best cigar in the world.

Cuban cigars are IMHO, sensitive to water. This means that your smoking experience can be affected by how wet the cigars are. You will learn to establish your own opinion in time. The time to learn is now. While I would say that a cigar smoked at 68rH and say 70F is too wet, you should decide that. Just remember, don't hold a negative experience against the cigar as this is not prime for a Cuban cigar, again, MHO... You might like the more bitter taste, while I don't.

Assuming that you are not new to cigars, these are not like you NC cigars. They should not be brash, metallic and make you stumble around in a daze. The love that many of us have with the Cuban cigar is the nuance.

I too think that with the caveats you should at least start testing the cigars now. We all have different tastes. In time, if you find that you feel these cigars may not be at their peak, you should try to regulate your storage a bit dryer. For instance, I store at 70F and 60 to 61rH. If you are used to NC cigars, you will think this is too dry, and it might be for you.

We all have opinions, and many of us have been smoking Cuban cigars for decades. We are therefore not the same. Listen and learn, but don't go down a rabbit hole here. Learn and experiment for yourself. It is your taste that matters, not mine, nor someone else.

Most of us like cigars a bit dryer and a bit older, but look, I am the last one to encourage you chasing unicorns. Don't blindly follow the 'net' logic and opinion. You don't have to be a well heeled collector to enjoy the simple pleasure of a Cuban cigar. It should be a staple and not a luxury. It should be simple and fun, not a complex, difficult to understand mess.

Best of luck on your new endeavor!

-Piggy

Good advice here

• Like 2

I would smoke one right away. Then revisit at 3 mo, 6mo, 9 months Nd 1 year

3 hours ago, RijkdeGooier said:

Well said Ray

Indeed, well said @PigFish. Best advice to be given at this point. Staying open-minded and never becoming preoccupied.

It is always so nice having versed people (to avoid "seasoned"...;)) on board that are never tired of taking the time, Piggy!

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Fugu said:

Indeed, well said @PigFish. Best advice to be given at this point. Staying open-minded and never becoming preoccupied.

It is always so nice having versed people (to avoid "seasoned"...;)) on board that are never tired of taking the time, Piggy!

Cheers my friends!

As I believe I 'coined' the term "seasoned" cigar smoker, I am happy to accept it!

Hope all is well with you mate! -R

6 minutes ago, Fugu said:

All fine this end, Ray. Quite busy times here atm, so not much opportunity to log on too often (let alone enjoying a longer smoke... :().

Yes, I have missed you! I chart your logons... -LOL

Speaking of Lonsdales... I had a Diplo 1 yesterday, and if it were not what I would consider a 100 point cigar, I have never had one. What a bliss to smoke! Cheers mate! -R

• Like 1

So is there a possible "happy medium" number I could keep my collection at that would be good for the CC and NC ? I currently have four Drymistat sticks in there and it's keeping it 68rh. Maybe if i took one out and brought it to 65 - 

Or would I be better off just putting together a Tuppador for the CC with a Bodeva pack or two ? Man I really thought I had the cat by the tail with this humidor setup and holding rh at 67/68. Turns out not so much - 

2 hours ago, M82 said:

So is there a possible "happy medium" number I could keep my collection at that would be good for the CC and NC ? I currently have four Drymistat sticks in there and it's keeping it 68rh. Maybe if i took one out and brought it to 65 - 

Or would I be better off just putting together a Tuppador for the CC with a Bodeva pack or two ? Man I really thought I had the cat by the tail with this humidor setup and holding rh at 67/68. Turns out not so much - 

... this is something for you to decide for yourself! Remember the rabbit hole?

Try some cigars, they are for smoking.

I don't wish to fill your head with bias, yet it has been my experience that quite a few people blame mythical maladies (my words and opinions again) for simple water content in cigars.

There is a process called dry boxing. I don't use it nor believe in it much as I hardly ever think that the proper time is allotted to the cigar to dry sufficiently.... well anyway, you might search the topic out. Try one cigar and size it up. You might love it the way it is.

If you live in an area where your ambient is a tad on the dry side, say 50rH. Clip a cigar and just leave it out for two days in the open air, smoke it and see if there is any discernible difference in the cigars. Cigars are different okay, they are not going to be exactly the same anyway. But, I would like to see if there are differences to the positive or negative for you experience and think about.

Again, your perspective is everything. While we have some folks here that smoke NC cigars, this is primarily a Cuban cigar forum. It is therefore Cuban cigar centric. Most of our talk is about them. While mixing them will do no harm, many smokers enjoy their Cuban cigars dryer. If you don't have a point where you think your NC stock is too dry, just consider drying the whole bunch a bit.

Remember temperature has a lot to do with this process. If your home is running 75F to 80F inside the 67rH mark might be just right. Temperature and rH run hand in hand...

AND... there I go again complicating things!

Smoke some cigars and don't sweat it. With some smoking under your belt the answers will come to you...

Cheers! -Piggy

PS and thanks for sharing your story!

• Like 1

The humidity for cigars is absolutely a personal preference. I keep mine at 65. As for how long to keep your cigars in your humidor before smoking, I like to keep them a couple months to acclimate them after their little trip 1/2 around the world.  But I have a nice stock to smoke while I'm waiting. Try one after a month to see what you think.  

• Like 1

Thanks again for all your input Piggy - Very humid here in the summer but house is always 70 tops and dry. (Big fan of A/C  !)  So Humidor I'd assume will be 70 f and I'll try for 65 rh 

I'll visit some of the NC boards I frequent and see how low they can go - 

Stunod that was what I'm thinking. 65 is where I'll try to keep them for now and see how it goes.  Thanks