Long term storage question

Presently I have a large end table humidor which is crammed full maybe 50-60 boxes some full some half empty. I also have 3 quality desktop humidor with 100-200 capacity. Which is better - should I remove the sticks and store in the desktops or leave them in their original boxes. All keep a constant 68-71% and the desktops are arranged according to like brands. Thanks in advance for comments and opinions 

4 minutes ago, Nekhyludov said:

Hoooo boy ... you're about to get world of commentary on that 68-71% rH. :D

Yep. Way too high. But to answer the OP's question, I don't think it matters as long as the rH & temp can be kept constant within a small range. 

12 minutes ago, Winchester21 said:

Which is better - should I remove the sticks and store in the desktops or leave them in their original boxes.

You'll find the answer to your question is highly subjective. Consensus here is generally to leave in original boxes. Some like to consolidate partially empty boxes as that will provide more storage room and there is no evidence to suggest that flavors migrate across cigars of different marcas or heritage. 

And as @stogieluver just mentioned consistant storage conditions is what is desired for long term. Now, who wants to debate the definition of "long-term"? :stir:

I have never been that big of fan of LT storage but reading comments on 24/24 I may try to expand my efforts. I know that the high end of the % range is too high. I am working on getting down more toward 65-68%. The room is extremely dry so keeping the humidity incorrect is a challenge. I am using wet oasis an boveda packs for a humid source

I aways kept mine around 70 The consensus here seems to be more toward 65 So maybe u will take the words of the wise and try lowering for consumption of 6 months or more

my house is 55 years old and we have issues with low humidity The methods that I use now typically stay in the stated range but requires constant attention

32 minutes ago, TBird55 said:

Why would you want to keep the humidity incorrect?  ;)

Sorry for the typo

Just to clarify, I prefer a consistent rH/temp in the 62rH/70F range. Anything higher produces taste/burn problems with CC's, in my opinion. YMMV. 

My house is centrally heated & cooled & has a fairly consistent ambient rH of 55%, which produces ideal smoking conditions in my man cave. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Winchester21 said:

I aways kept mine around 70 The consensus here seems to be more toward 65 So maybe u will take the words of the wise and try lowering for consumption of 6 months or more

my house is 55 years old and we have issues with low humidity The methods that I use now typically stay in the stated range but requires constant attention

Instead of changing your setup, try dry boxing your smoke now cigars to see if you like the lower humidity. If you like it, then change your setup.

Here's what I do. I have 3 cabinet humidors and a large 200-300 desktop.  One of my cabinets has a large draw also.  I keep in boxes until about 1/4 left then I transfer to desktop.  

In the cabinet draw I store my rotation sticks and a few LE's to torture myself.65% in cabinets. 67% Bovida packs in desktop, just because I'm lazy. I love the Bovidas.IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.7ad88e2336b8918ca7a66072c96bae23.JPG

• Like 3

6 hours ago, stunod said:

Here's what I do. I have 3 cabinet humidors and a large 200-300 desktop.  One of my cabinets has a large draw also.  I keep in boxes until about 1/4 left then I transfer to desktop.  

In the cabinet draw I store my rotation sticks and a few LE's to torture myself.65% in cabinets. 67% Bovida packs in desktop, just because I'm lazy. I love the Bovidas.IMG_0548.thumb.JPG.7ad88e2336b8918ca7a66072c96bae23.JPG

Nice setup. Some real beauties in there

7 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Instead of changing your setup, try dry boxing your smoke now cigars to see if you like the lower humidity. If you like it, then change your setup.

Good idea thanks

11 hours ago, TBird55 said:

Just busting your balls...

No worries ?

Dry boxing at high temps and humidities (many in asia are cursed) is not always possible unless you are running AC. 

I know it seems sacrilege but for a "quick" solution, throw the cigar in an open ziplock into the fridge (cap cut) for 2 hours. Works a dream most of the time. 

• Like 4

Every place on earth has different weather and the rooms you live in are different humidity.

Your resources and opinions are different. I for example, like wine fridges and tap water in cups. The numbers at between 60- 65/ and    / 65-70 depending on the season. My cigars do not blow up in your face when you smoke 'em.

CB

• Like 2

8 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Dry boxing at high temps and humidities (many in asia are cursed) is not always possible unless you are running AC. 

I know it seems sacrilege but for a "quick" solution, throw the cigar in an open ziplock into the fridge (cap cut) for 2 hours. Works a dream most of the time. 

There is a Bolivar in the fridge as we speak. Right between the Cloudy Bay and the Pilsner Urquell? thanks. Will let u know how it works

Like many on this thread and forum I suggest 'trying' a dryer cigar. Yet on the other hand, if you don't have smoking problems and issues, why change?

I know this seems contradictory, but we are not the same. Furthermore, this site has slid (yes slid) back to mentioning rH without a corresponding temperature. EMC in a cigar is not based solely on rH but on rH and temperature. 70rH and 60F and 70rH and 80F yield different water content in your cigars.

I think with the consensus perhaps you have something to think about. You might think about trying something different, but a total shift to how you store really may not be in order.

I understand your house is dry... Okay great, an rH negative ambient is the established simplest means to store cigars, but without knowing the temperature, I could suggest settings that overly dry out your cigars and that would be bad.

Notice @stogieluver gave you his settings! Not setting!!! That is the proper way to address cigar EMC questions. The best thing that I could hope that you would get out of this thread is the understanding that temperature and rH are linked. One number without the other is useless!

Best of luck on your project. -Piggy

• Like 1

I got 5 boxes today I am going to buy another desktop and keep the humi% down to 65. Put a few cigars in the new humi and a few cigars in my existing 70% desktop. The room is air cond and keeps a 68-70 temp range   I will wait 90 days and compare. I have a sneaking suspicion that I need to bring the % humi down a few notches. The test should tell me what I need to know before I rei invent the wheel. Thanks again for all the input

5 hours ago, PigFish said:

I know this seems contradictory, but we are not the same. Furthermore, this site has slid (yes slid) back to mentioning rH without a corresponding temperature. EMC in a cigar is not based solely on rH but on rH and@stogieluver temperature. 70rH and 60F and 70rH and 80F yield different water content in your cigars.

My humidor is set at 62. :stir::P

• Like 4